Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
easyday

spear fishing?

Me and a buddy are planning on getting spear guns to do some free diving off the yaks this summer anyone have any experience with this, and what is a good starter gun to get?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
keenefish
Junior

yes

I do it all the time now. Go see Hairy at Free dive N spear in Hermosa or J&J down south. I got all the wrong gear when I started out a few years ago and wished I went to Hairy first since I wasted a lot of money incorrect gear and if you buy nice gear its not cheap but they will last you for a long time.
Keene
Old 05-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
bubblehide

If you plan on doing it for a long time, get quality gear such as a Riffe gun 48-57", a camo wetsuit...
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
easyday

I have a really good mask, snorkel and fins bit I do need a better wetsuit and a good gun ive spear fished in cuba and japan with just one of those spears that have the rubber band on the end but I know thats not going to cut it if I evwr want anything decent size
Old 05-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
easyday

Definitely posted this in the wrong thread category still getting used to tapatalk
Old 05-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
gear junkie

I like mako guns. Good decent quality. Not a riffe but they'll do the average guy very well. Look at the spearboard forum as well.
gear junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:37 AM   #7
Deamon

If I were getting into freediving...for quality fish...I would take a major shortcut in the learning curve by paying for real information. To some he's a man...others, just a myth...to most he's a legend...

DARKHORSE...for hire
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Last edited by Deamon; 05-14-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
TJones

ya , thats my next adventure

thanks josh .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Josh are you guiding spear trips?

Mako's a Good gun, Riffe if your going to stick with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
If I were getting into freediving...for quality fish...I would take a major shortcut in the learning curve by paying for real information. To some he's a man...others, just a myth...to most he's a legend...

DARKHORSE...for hire
Jim, are you sure he's spearfishing? because if he is I need to get in touch.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...749#post130749

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post

Which brings me to my next disclaimer: Spearfishing is f'n dangerous!

Being an expert sight fisherman and tracking White Sea Bass for a living, I've never once thought of spearing one. I've even free-dove with giant White Sea Bass a few times. It was an incredible experience swimming with those fish and something I'll always remember. It was as if they knew I wasn't holding a gun. Something I'll most certainly be doing again. I've dove at night in search of Lobster for the last fifteen years, too. I'm very much at home below the surface. But, I've never so much as picked up a speargun until this day. I'm reluctant to admit, I had a near-death experience within five minutes of picking one up for the first time as well.

True story: after watching lock-jaw fish swim around with zero interest to our offerings, I decided to just go for it. Why not? I searched the big-blue for days to find this thing and these fish were giving me the finger. Not to mention, time was running out. After trying every trick in the book from chunking fresh baits, to brailing live squid, to using ridiculously light line I had seen enough. The only thing these fish were going to eat was steel---and I was going to give it to them. I jump in with my mask and ask for a few pointers as I strap my Go Pro to my head. I vaguely remember my friend say something along the lines of, "watch out for the recoil", as I attempt to load the gun. I think to myself, recoil, sure yeah got it---blindly focused on trying to film something for the Discovery channel. What's the big deal---it's only 3,000' deep, right? What could possibly go wrong?

Little did I know at the time that, of course, the camera wasn't recording video. It was capturing still photos instead. Anyone with a Go Pro knows exactly what I'm talking about here. With a loaded gun in my hands I quietly approach the paddy. The fish are swimming just down current from the only shade in town. It's without question, one of the most breathe taking sights you'll ever see. There's this giant Mola Mola guarding the paddy. Thousands of Salp in my face and just as many micro baits in every direction. Through the haze, I see the school of Dorado come into view and begin my stalk. If you know me you'll realize I'm pretty competitive. In essence, I wasn't coming up without a fish. Or so I thought.

I lined up on what looked like a nice Dorado the same way I'd line up on a Billiard shot. You know, a game with money on the line? I control my breathing and try and minimize my movement. I'm staring straight down the barrel and aiming for the eyes as my target turns broadside---then I pull the trigger and am knocked unconscious.

When I come to, I had just started to swallow water and I'm coughing and gagging. I clear my breathing tube and am surrounded by Dorado. Instinctively, I grab the gun and line. I then realize that my fish had sunk to the depths like a rock; unbeknownst to me I had stoned the fish. A dead center perfect shot right at the gill line. When I shot the fish she was on the surface, but was straight down by the time I realized what was going on. I proceed to swim back to the boat and keep what had just happened to myself.

I'll just blame that on a weird concoction of pride, adrenaline, and determination to redeem myself. A truly selfish moment that I'm not very proud of. Apparently the gun slammed me in the face pretty hard. In a freak, last second decision, I brought the weight belt back to the boat before swimming off. That split second decision, apparently, saved my life. I had never worn one before and felt like I was struggling to stay near the surface. I had put way too much weight on there and the fish were on the surface, anyway. Had that weight belt been around my waist, I'm 100% positive, that I wouldn't be telling this story.

Kind of sketched and for very good reason. I slowed down my breathing and immediately developed a new level of respect for spearfishing. Gnarly. Instead of filming a clip for the Discovery channel I almost filmed my last catch. The thought of my camera floating to the surface. The floating gun attached to a stoned Dorado. A confused friend searching through the night freaking the f--k out! A lot of reflection was going on in the minutes to follow. And rightfully so. I snap out of it, regroup, grab a different gun and swim back to the paddy. Otherwise I might have never picked up a gun again. If anything, an attempt at redemption felt necessary at this juncture in time.

This dive was similar, but my perspective had completely changed. As cliche as it sounds, all the colors seemed even more vibrant. The 400 lb Mola Mola is guarding the up current side of the floating city. It was as if I never left. I look off in the distance and slowly through the haze, I see my targets. They're curious by nature. And eventually swim a giant circle behind the paddy. I'm waiting and really trying to find a larger model this time. This might be my second time holding a spear gun, but after all, I'm a fisherman. I then spot the particular fish I'm looking for and prepare my stalk. To my amazement the school changes direction as I'm pointing at the largest fish I could find. Then BOOM---I fire off my shot. Only this time I'm prepared for the recoil---and my camera is actually recording. Video to follow.

My second shot and my second Dorado!

I'm stoked out of my mind as I swim back to the boat. Like I said, you'll never see a prettier fish in local waters. They're not worth dying for, though. Whether you're a kook who's never held a speargun (like myself) or an unprepared kayak angler blinded by gold, it's just a fish. An incredibly beautiful fish.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Last edited by bus kid; 05-14-2013 at 11:18 AM.
bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
easyday

Rgr be aware of the recoil. ...
Old 05-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
Siebler

Used to do a lot of it, some awesome guys on these boards that are Spearos.

We will be Revamping the Spearfishing gear at the new OEX as well. Still have a selection at OEX mission Bay but nothing like we used to have.

You know you can come see me any time and get a hookup

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
taggermike

You might want to check out www.spearboard.com they have way too much good info about guns, hunting, and locations. A properly powered and weighted spear gun should not kick like Josh described. There are many gun choices that will get our local hunting covered and the sky is the limit price wise. Wood, pipe, hybrid. Check em out. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #13
JeffB

If you like using a pole spear, don't rule it out bc you can't get big fish with one. You just need the right one.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nnrBXM9UV6U&feature=fvwrel

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IA58Qd7CDCg

http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/OSBMP...FaaDQgod6HYArQ

If you interested let me know. I picked one up from a spear fisherman here in SD that used it for big halibut and YT in LJ. He showed me a few pix of some of his fish he got with it, 40lb class fish with ease he said. I traded him a Calcutta for it. It's been sitting ever since. I've never used it. Decided free diving wasn't my thing, I'm too out of shape. I can't hold my breath but 20 secs in about 20' of water.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #14
JeffB

I have a really nice speargun bag as well I will throw in with it. It held the pole and three guns easily with my mask and spare tips.

http://www.spearfishingworld.com/rif...argun-bag.html
Old 05-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #15
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Used to do a lot of it, some awesome guys on these boards that are Spearos.

We will be Revamping the Spearfishing gear at the new OEX as well. Still have a selection at OEX mission Bay but nothing like we used to have.

You know you can come see me any time and get a hookup

I will be down in that area soon I might have to stop by and take a look
Old 05-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #16
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

let me know what you get and how it works out. i'm going to go by the dive shop tomorrow to look at pole spears for targeting southern sting rays for bait and see what else i can get.

the guns look cool and seem like the way to go in the long run, but i think it will be fun with a pole spear. i'll just rig it up with some float line and a bouy.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #17
09Aztec
Junior

Not sure where you are, but if you are in SD ill let you try out a couple of mine so you can decide what you like and get a feel for what a couple different sizes feel like in the water.
09Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:46 AM   #18
THE DARKHORSE

For you bus kid---no charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Mako's a Good gun, Riffe if your going to stick with it.

Jim, are you sure he's spearfishing? because if he is I need to get in touch.

Whoa whoa whoa.
Hold up.
Lets think this through...
You'll shoot your eye out!

If you haven't seen me around on the water lately, keep looking, I'm there---somewhere.

Since my name's being brought up and it relates to my business, I suppose I should clear up some misconceptions. From a legal standpoint, as a licensed guide for the past five years I've carried a million dollar liability insurance policy. Maybe that's overkill; maybe not. Just what monetary amount allowed me to sleep comfortably at night. And that was just for putting clients on Yellowtail, White Sea Bass and Halibut from a kayak!

Of course, giant Sharks and humungous Black Sea Bass are common bi-catch as well. Species that could easily be more dangerous than our original targets and probably deserve a flag of caution. Oh yeah, careless boat owners who practically drive around blind folded! Not to mention, congested boat traffic when the fishing really gets hot and heavy---which in my opinion still trumps any probability of natural dangers being a realistic concern. It's all relative. So, maybe that million dollar liability insurance policy doesn't sound so extreme after all?

Taking someone with limited experience and putting a $1,000 gun in their hands, then placing them in a kelp-bed loaded with fifty to seventy pound fish---especially with the intention of actually taking a shot on said fish, as of now anyway, isn't a liability that I'm willing to take on.

However, with a pipeline of repeat / V.I.P. clients that I've been built up over the years, a possible extension of my business model is being tested. At the time being these are purely bonus trips, though---for free! Only with clients who have already taken up an interest in spearfishing on their own, I might add. This select portion of my clientele have been invited to share my new obsession. The way I look at it, spearfishing, is nothing more than an extension of the service I already provide. When I'm not pre-fishing for clients, fishing with clients, or fishing off skiffs the days in between---I'm scoping out every bed within driving distance North and South. It's one thing to run the sonar for twelve hours and rely on sight fishing from a tuna-tower; another thing entirely diving to the bottom for eight hours a day. For sure---a real eye opener (pun intended).

My advice to the original poster: please don't take this as a slam or some sort of disrespect, but being that you're asking this question on the internet (much less a kayak fishing website regarding spearguns of all things ) certainly raises a brow. No offense, but internet forums are incredibly misleading in my professional opinion. Especially when it comes to gear advise or techniques.

Why you ask? Simple. There's just too many uneducated opinions. Or worse, brand loyal bias. Typically a toxic combination of both! Often (we're talking about more than 90% of the time) the reader will leave the forum more confused then when they arrived. That's just a fact. An exaggeration you say? Feel free to look back at pretty much any gear question and see for yourself! It's pure comedy more often than not. Same with techniques often published via the net. The few times solid advice is given it's quickly buried in misinformation.

Also, as is typical with internet forums, you left a few giant holes in your question itself. Without telling someone exactly what you'd like to target (are we talking Calico Bass and Sheephead---or 70 lb White Sea Bass and 30 lb+Yellowtail?). Without saying where you'll be hunting beyond just saying, "kelp", it would be impossible for even the likes of ,Terry Maas, to answer your question. You neglected to mention your budget as well. Which, really leaves the door open for every possible suggestion known to man.

For starters, yes, Spearboard would be a step in the right direction. If after a few hours you get sick of all the constant bickering, and you're bored, feel free to check out a recent thread of mine: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=160805

Tons of great information can be found on that site. Especially in regards to safety. Just realize that you'll have to hunt down the right answers to your questions. And I mean hunt. A simple search isn't going to cut it. Be prepared for the brand loyal bias and boat loads of misinformation, though. It is what it is---an internet forum. Also, might I suggest, doing some soul searching in the process to realistically decide what you'd like to target---and what you're willing to spend. Unfortunately, until you answer the above questions, I really can't offer you any specific advice gun wise. Above all, dive safe!

The gun that slammed me in the face was a Riffe. I take 100% responsibility for the accident; in this case it was clearly the Indian---not the arrow. I mean, come on, I held the damn thing up to my face before I took that first shot; what would you expect! Lesson learned. My point, though, is that in this very thread people are suggesting guns which are very well known in the dive community. For certain things specifically. Unfortunately, the wrong things: lacking proper ballast and being over-powered.

If you want a gun that's way over-priced and kicks like a Mule look no further.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #19
Deamon

What a photo...nuff said...Bus Kid, you owe me...
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #20
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
Whoa whoa whoa.
Hold up.
Lets think this through...
You'll shoot your eye out!

If you haven't seen me around on the water lately, keep looking, I'm there---somewhere.

Since my name's being brought up and it relates to my business, I suppose I should clear up some misconceptions. From a legal standpoint, as a licensed guide for the past five years I've carried a million dollar liability insurance policy. Maybe that's overkill; maybe not. Just what monetary amount allowed me to sleep comfortably at night. And that was just for putting clients on Yellowtail, White Sea Bass and Halibut from a kayak!

Of course, giant Sharks and humungous Black Sea Bass are common bi-catch as well. Species that could easily be more dangerous than our original targets and probably deserve a flag of caution. Oh yeah, careless boat owners who practically drive around blind folded! Not to mention, congested boat traffic when the fishing really gets hot and heavy---which in my opinion still trumps any probability of natural dangers being a realistic concern. It's all relative. So, maybe that million dollar liability insurance policy doesn't sound so extreme after all?

Taking someone with limited experience and putting a $1,000 gun in their hands, then placing them in a kelp-bed loaded with fifty to seventy pound fish---especially with the intention of actually taking a shot on said fish, as of now anyway, isn't a liability that I'm willing to take on.

However, with a pipeline of repeat / V.I.P. clients that I've been built up over the years, a possible extension of my business model is being tested. At the time being these are purely bonus trips, though---for free! Only with clients who have already taken up an interest in spearfishing on their own, I might add. This select portion of my clientele have been invited to share my new obsession. The way I look at it, spearfishing, is nothing more than an extension of the service I already provide. When I'm not pre-fishing for clients, fishing with clients, or fishing off skiffs the days in between---I'm scoping out every bed within driving distance North and South. It's one thing to run the sonar for twelve hours and rely on sight fishing from a tuna-tower; another thing entirely diving to the bottom for eight hours a day. For sure---a real eye opener (pun intended).

My advice to the original poster: please don't take this as a slam or some sort of disrespect, but being that you're asking this question on the internet (much less a kayak fishing website regarding spearguns of all things ) certainly raises a brow. No offense, but internet forums are incredibly misleading in my professional opinion. Especially when it comes to gear advise or techniques.

Why you ask? Simple. There's just too many uneducated opinions. Or worse, brand loyal bias. Typically a toxic combination of both! Often (we're talking about more than 90% of the time) the reader will leave the forum more confused then when they arrived. That's just a fact. An exaggeration you say? Feel free to look back at pretty much any gear question and see for yourself! It's pure comedy more often than not. Same with techniques often published via the net. The few times solid advice is given it's quickly buried in misinformation.

Also, as is typical with internet forums, you left a few giant holes in your question itself. Without telling someone exactly what you'd like to target (are we talking Calico Bass and Sheephead---or 70 lb White Sea Bass and 30 lb+Yellowtail?). Without saying where you'll be hunting beyond just saying, "kelp", it would be impossible for even the likes of ,Terry Maas, to answer your question. You neglected to mention your budget as well. Which, really leaves the door open for every possible suggestion known to man.

For starters, yes, Spearboard would be a step in the right direction. If after a few hours you get sick of all the constant bickering, and you're bored, feel free to check out a recent thread of mine: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=160805

Tons of great information can be found on that site. Especially in regards to safety. Just realize that you'll have to hunt down the right answers to your questions. And I mean hunt. A simple search isn't going to cut it. Be prepared for the brand loyal bias and boat loads of misinformation, though. It is what it is---an internet forum. Also, might I suggest, doing some soul searching in the process to realistically decide what you'd like to target---and what you're willing to spend. Unfortunately, until you answer the above questions, I really can't offer you any specific advice gun wise. Above all, dive safe!

The gun that slammed me in the face was a Riffe. I take 100% responsibility for the accident; in this case it was clearly the Indian---not the arrow. I mean, come on, I held the damn thing up to my face before I took that first shot; what would you expect! Lesson learned. My point, though, is that in this very thread people are suggesting guns which are very well known in the dive community. For certain things specifically. Unfortunately, the wrong things: lacking proper ballast and being over-powered.

If you want a gun that's way over-priced and kicks like a Mule look no further.

F@CKING EPIC!

but come on did we expect anything less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
What a photo...nuff said...Bus Kid, you owe me...
At least you can now sleep at night! I will be down in LJ hopefully in a few weeks to grace you with my presence!

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote