Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
06yota
Junior

Fishing La Jolla

Today was my first day out in La Jolla and i was trying to ask some guys how to fish the area and everyone was just ignorming me and blowig me off, SOOO lol what is the trick in fishing La Jolla? I see people on kayaks fishing and trolling around But what is the way to fish it. They were picking off bass and YT today like crazy but with all the bait fish whats the best to throw?
06yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06yota View Post
Today was my first day out in La Jolla and i was trying to ask some guys how to fish the area and everyone was just ignorming me and blowig me off, SOOO lol what is the trick in fishing La Jolla? I see people on kayaks fishing and trolling around But what is the way to fish it. They were picking off bass and YT today like crazy but with all the bait fish whats the best to throw?
You had stopped and asked me, and sorry if it sounded like I was blowing you off or ignoring you, but "how do you fish out here" is a question that has 200 different answers. There are A LOT of species out in La Jolla and to begin to even try to explain it would be a knowledge torpedo and probably cause a brain aneurism. I suffered the same complex when I moved out here. I grew up surf fishing for striped bass on the east coast from the surf. There was two ways. Clams during heavy surf and bunker when they were running. When I started kayak fishing, it was "Trolling the tube n' worm" and the "slug-o"

Out here, it's not as simple as "Hey man, here is how we fish"
Like I told you on the water, it depends on what species of fish you want to target. Once you figure out what species you want to target, there are another 30 factors that come into play with catching that special

I'm in no way an expert on fishing La Jolla, but I'll tell you the best way to learn to catch fish is spend time on the water. You're not going to get a lot of straight answers from people. Not because people are protecting the information but because no body has one right answer for you.

I would suggest finding a few good buddies that are new or somewhat experienced with the lay of the land. Spend a lot of time on the water trying different things and figure out what works. Don't get discouraged either. It's not easy to put the big ones in your boat.

Spend time in the bay too, looking for bass and halibut. Getting used to your rig and your boat will make things easier. You don't think about it at first but kayak fishing is kind of a pain in the ass. You have lines and leashes and gear and water and paddles and all this stuff to manage, the bay will be a safe place to get your sea butt ready.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Drake; 08-28-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
Drake

Oh and I was one of 6-7 kayaks out there, and no where was anyone "picking off YT like crazy" I was out from 530am until 3pm, and didn't see one fork brought to the surface.

You might have seen people catching barracuda, they have a yellow tail as well.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
06yota
Junior

Thanks, Ya it does. I was thinking about it and googling La Jolla and reading more. Im just going to start going once a week, The fish i am targeting are wsb and Yt. As well i was watching everyone and the gear everyone is using, i need bigger rods, the most i have is 20lb test. resarching different types of rigs. I just am impatient right now i guess, over excited and really want to hook up. But thats why they call it fishing and not catching right.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
06yota
Junior

Idk thats what my wifes uncle was telling me.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06yota View Post
Thanks, Ya it does. I was thinking about it and googling La Jolla and reading more. Im just going to start going once a week, The fish i am targeting are wsb and Yt. As well i was watching everyone and the gear everyone is using, i need bigger rods, the most i have is 20lb test. resarching different types of rigs. I just am impatient right now i guess, over excited and really want to hook up. But thats why they call it fishing and not catching right.
This forums has a lot of helpful articles, as well as posts over the years that hold some valuable information.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
06yota
Junior

Talking

I'm reading as we type lol. appriciate everything. I need to learn how to come in and not get man handled by the waves on the beach.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:45 AM   #8
ctfphoto

The best answer is ... spending time on the water .....

There is also some great information in these forums.....

It took me one year on the water, and yesterday it paid off
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

Just be patient! Go fishing! Preferably during the week when the crowds are lighter. Don't expect to catch a yellowtail or seabass right away, although it does happen from time to time for first timers and newbees, but in my opinion it's not the norm. Make sure you have all the right gear, so when you do hook that fish you don't end up losing it because of tackle failure. I'm sure that when everyones
fishing they are not trying to be rude but just trying to catch a fish like you, and when the bite is on Im sure that nobody wants to give an on the water seminar for you or for anybody. On the water is not the best place to start asking questions about where how and why, that's what BWE is for, and what josh is for....if you pay him!

Work your way up to catching a yt or seabass, learn everything you can. You can't be as successful without learning how to make your own bait, so start there.

Relax take a deep breath!
Have Patience! Don't give up!
Old 08-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #10
Whiting17
Junior

My first 10 trips to La Jolla Resulted in little more then bait if that! Time on the water ,watching others, trying differnt tactics tell you find what works! Getting bait in the water and waiting is a good way to start. Good luck
Whiting17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

easy.

PM Darkhorse, or THE KID (Sea Samurai) set up appt, bring home fish.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
Cbad Mike

I was out yesterday and the only YT I saw was caught off a boat. I don't know where you got your info. If you have any questions about this sport you should start by reading everything on this site. It's all here.

Mike
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #13
taggermike

"what is the trick for fishing LJ"? Gotta love it. I've been fishing LJ for almost 40 years, 14 on the yak, and I have yet to find a trick. Use the search function, spend time on the water, evidently learn how to handle the surf, get comfortable on your yak, maybe start in the bays, and ask more focused questions.

You don't have to spend a bunch of cash up front. This time of year most fish get caught on live bait near the surface. Maybe a 20 and 40 lb outfit, a few sibikis, 3 sizes of hooks, and you're mostly set. A powered bait tank is nice but you can start with a plano bucket or a bait tube. Catch live bait and slow troll around. You'll learn what to look for as far as birds, bait fish, other boats ect, but the whole time you're trolling a live bait you're in the game. I caught my first LJ kayak YT in the rain on a live jack smelt. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #14
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

My first recommendation would be to PM The Darkhorse or The Kid. If you are not into spending a some $$$, well, all the gas you'll be burning getting to and from LJ will cost you more than the lessons you can lear from them. Otherwise, learn by observation / osmosis.

Take some mental notes when you're out there, and make friends with the regulars. It'll come to ya!
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #15
PapaDave

I was out there yesterday also, got a few cuda bites but other than that, nada, which insures my record at LJ.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #16
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

i heard a spider hitch dropper loop works.. reverse or regular i don't know... squirts are good bait when they are in and so are macs and dines. troll or drift a small mack or big sardine outside the kelp. make sure you use braid and 40lb mono/floro leader.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #17
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriola_killer View Post
My first recommendation would be to PM The Darkhorse or The Kid. If you are not into spending a some $$$, well, all the gas you'll be burning getting to and from LJ will cost you more than the lessons you can learn from them.
X2. Best money I ever spent was to book a trip with The Darkhorse. I've been fishing LJ for over 40 years and was amazed at how much I learned from Josh in one day. If you want to shorten your learning curve by years, I recommend hiring a guide to learn the ropes and start catching fish.