Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-22-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
OEX
Administrator

Safety First

Guys, we've had a lot of newbies get into the sport in the last few years and with the recent accidents in La Jolla we thought it'd be appropriate to remind everybody about how dangerous our sport can be. Today it's blowing close to 30 knots at La Jolla and there's already been a bunch of kayakers rescued by the lifeguards. We know the bite has been on, but PLEASE, especially you new guys, check the weather reports and conditions before you launch. This sport is no joke, don't let the mild weather 9 out of 10 trips fool you. ALWAYS check the conditions before you launch. These yellowtail are not worth your life, be prepared.

Cris Provancha wrote a very helpful safety article for us a little while back. Take the time to read it if you haven't already.
Sea Kayaking Safety

We've also got a quick reference on the left side of the home page with links to all the weather info you need. It's also listed here.

We can get lulled into a sense of security after so many beautiful days on the water, never touching any safety gear or reading a weather report, but when a day like today comes along your preparation could save your life.
619 866-6129
OEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
steveooo

Associated Press- La Jolla, CA: Mother nature dealt an unfortunate ass whoopin to about a dozen kayakers that were cocky and stupid enough to test her...
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Similar coniditions caused the 28' defiance boat to capsize in November too. Heading out into the wind today was a really dumb move. The yt are here year round, the guys that went out almost didn't make it to christmas.

After wind like this the surf and water will be stirred up bad for a day or two.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Billy V

Have any of you guys heard the story of "The Old Bull, and The Young Bull"

An Old Bull and a Young Bull were standing at the top of a hill overlooking a large meadow full of cows.
The Young Bull says excitedly, "Let's run down there and f**k us a cow!"

"No, son", says the Old Bull, "let's walk down there and f**k them all."

------------------------------------
I know the lure is strong, and we are all enthralled with our local Wildlife, but its certainly not worth it if you assess the risk of Today's NWS Forecast.

-Larry Posted a Caution Yesterday- Listen to the old Bull.

Last edited by Billy V; 12-22-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
FISHIONADO

Tricky morning for the wind, it was almost calm at 4:45am and then an hour later it was over 40mph.

FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
peguinpower
bing!

Ive been out in 60+ mph winds. The spraying water starts entering your eyes, ears and nose. I capsized 3 times in 2 minutes.

Not fun. Gale force winds makes watching TV seems like heaven on earth.

/bing
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
Jim Sammons LJKF

I was down there at 5:30 and back in bed by 6:00. Finally had a day when I could get both my kids out on the water with me and got turned away.
There were guys paddling out when I arrived and the wind was already up, bad decisions. As they say A Mans got to know his limitations. You may feel like a big man but mother nature can kick your ass at any time. Always err on the side of caution, going out in these condtions can cost you your life and the life of the person who has to go and and save your ass.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
Whizz Bang

Yeah, took one look....well maybe two, at the surf and wind and decided not to launch. Stuck around to run cleanup crew and help the guys coming back through that mess. It went from nothing to nasty in no time at all. Oh well, there is always Thursday....
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
Kiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
Have any of you guys heard the story of "The Old Bull, and The Young Bull"

An Old Bull and a Young Bull were standing at the top of a hill overlooking a large meadow full of cows.
The Young Bull says excitedly, "Let's run down there and f**k us a cow!"

"No, son", says the Old Bull, "let's walk down there and f**k them all."

------------------------------------
I know the lure is strong, and we are all enthralled with our local Wildlife, but its certainly not worth it if you assess the risk of Today's NWS Forecast.

-Larry Posted a Caution Yesterday- Listen to the old Bull.
Yeah.... I remember pacman saying that in colors!
Old 12-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #10
Matt
Support your local pangas

Kiyo, Kiyo, Kiyo........ It was Hodges whobsaid it first and then a wiser Pacman who said it in the end! Haha
Old 12-22-2009, 09:22 PM   #11
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Agree with all that is being said.

I was out that day a while back when 5 rental yakkers and 2 yak fishers had to be rescued. Took me forever to come in, but knew if I stopped paddling, I'd be rescued as well. I pointed to the LG jet skis to where the rentals were at, holding onto the kelp.

Talked to the LG Capt, he told me I looked like I was having fun, I felt like Capt Dan on the mast in Forrest Gump, cussing up a storm.

Point is, I knew then I would not put myself in that position again, and those winds came without warning...I think you guys knew they were in store.

Glad all of you made it back in, egos bruised, gear lost, but safe.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
Dean Machine

sticky thread?

Maybe we can make one of these threads sticky (not necessarily this one) seeing as how safety is a pretty important topic. Maybe someone can start a new sticky thread with the intent of safety related discussion. Sometimes posts like this get lost in time. Many yakkers of all experience levels look at this forum and all would benefit (regardless of experience level) from stories like this and similar close calls. EVERYONE has a story. Also it would be cool to see some of the weather links and resources that are available posted on the same thread to make it easier for everyone. (Black cloud posted a few good ones)

On a somewhat side note, for many kayakers such as myself, it is sometimes difficult to interpret tides, winds, swell, etc from most of the resources available. Maybe a sticky thread would encourage those that are more experienced to shed some knowledge on the subject. I guess part of what I mean is that anyone can read what a chart says but not everyone can interpret what 20 mph winds will do to the ocean unless they have experienced it for themselves. Rather than having to go and feel it out on the water, some discussion on what conditions are safe based on someones experience level and what conditions are not would be beneficial.

Not to mention the entertainment of reading others stories in hindsight.

Happy Holidays Everyone.