Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Ohana

What is the difference between SMCA and SMR?

I have to ask because no matter how hard I look I cannot find a clear-cut definition: What is the major differences between the SMCA and SMR designations for the MPA's (I feel like I am back in the Navy with all these acronyms).

What I could gather is that receiving an SMR is the kiss of death; nothing can be touched.

The SMCA is where is gets gray. Can you still hook and line fish in a SMCA or is it one of those "I call it as I see it" designations or does each SMCA have its own unique regulations?

Thanks,

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
buttchaser
Float Tuber

State Marine Conservation Area [36700(c) PRC]
A "state marine conservation area," is a non-terrestrial marine or estuarine area that is designated so the managing agency may achieve one or more of the following:

1. protect or restore rare, threatened or endangered native plants, animals or habitats in marine areas;
  2. protect or restore outstanding, representative or imperiled marine species, communities, habitats and ecosystems;
  3. protect or restore diverse marine gene pools;
  4. contribute to the understanding and management of marine resources and ecosystems by providing the opportunity for scientific research in outstanding, representative or imperiled marine habitats or ecosystems;
  5. preserve outstanding or unique geological features; or
  6. provide for sustainable living marine resource harvest.
Restrictions [36710(c) PRC]: it is unlawful to injure, damage, take or posses any specified living, geological or cultural marine resources for certain commercial, recreational, or a combination of commercial and recreational purposes. In general, any commercial and/or recreational uses that would compromise protection of the species of interest, natural community, habitat or geological features may be restricted by the designating entity or managing agency.

Allowable uses [36710(c) PRC]: research, education and recreational activities, and certain commercial and recreational harvest of marine resources may be permitted.

State Marine Reserve [36700(a) PRC]

A "state marine reserve," is a non-terrestrial marine or estuarine area that is designated so the managing agency may achieve one or more of the following:

1. protect or restore rare, threatened or endangered native plants, animals or habitats in marine areas;
  2. protect or restore outstanding, representative or imperiled marine species, communities, habitats and ecosystems;
  3. protect or restore diverse marine gene pools; or
  4. contribute to the understanding and management of marine resources and ecosystems by providing the opportunity for scientific research in outstanding, representative or imperiled marine habitats or ecosystems.
Restrictions [36710(a) PRC]: it is unlawful to injure, damage, take or possess any living, geological or cultural marine resource, except under a permit or specific authorization from the managing agency for research, restoration or monitoring purposes. While, to the extent feasible, the area shall be open to the public for managed enjoyment and study, the area shall be maintained to the extent practicable in an undisturbed and unpolluted state. Therefore, access and use (such as walking, swimming, boating and diving) may be restricted to protect marine resources.

Allowable uses [36710(a) PRC]: research, restoration and monitoring may be permitted by the managing agency. Educational activities and other forms of non-consumptive human use may be permitted by the designating entity or managing agency in a manner consistent with the protection of all marine resources.
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Smr = no fishing at all

smca= some fishing maybe ok. They all have different rules. The smca in south lj allows pelagics by h&l. The swami one bans all h&l fishing.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Ohana

Thanks for this information.

It confirms what I gathered regarding the SMCA: It is left vague so that you never know if you will be breaking the law and is open to interpretation (by the enforcing parties, not us).

I have dealt with the AQMD on VOC emissions and they operate the same way; pay the fine and we will get back to you later if we were in error

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
screaming reel
Banned

Send a message via AIM to screaming reel
Does anyone know if they plan on letting us fish north of Scripps Pier in the SMCA?
screaming reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaming reel View Post
Does anyone know if they plan on letting us fish north of Scripps Pier in the SMCA?
bait only, no yt, flatties....nada.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
screaming reel
Banned

Send a message via AIM to screaming reel
Well shit... that sucks. Hey, sharks eat yellowtail, that means it is bait, right.
screaming reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaming reel View Post
Well shit... that sucks. Hey, sharks eat yellowtail, that means it is bait, right.
I like the way you think...you may be on to something here...

"I was fishing for Makos, using yellowtail as bait. Ergo, I needed to make bait...that's all I was doing."

After all, someone did once catch a YT on a sabiki...

I likes, I likes...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote