Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-20-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
SoCalEDC

Cold-ish weather kayaking

How do you guys go about kayaking in the cold season? I'm not a big fan of cold weather (California born/raised so my tolerance for "cold" weather is pretty pathetic lol), but I would like to get out there in the coming weeks on my yak. what is the preferred attire for kayaking in the cold?

Thanks
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:24 AM   #2
Gigafish

Neoprene waders for a early launch. $50 amazon. Work well with a beanie, glove and a sweater. Usually hot by 11.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #3
summers in kuwait

I get cold easy and then stay cold, so when its cold in the mornings 30s-40s and then warms up a bit, its nice to be able to shed layers as needed. I typically wear polar tech base wear top and bottoms. Then my patagonia waders, another top possibly and my paddling jacket. Then a beanie or cap to protect my ears and a face buff. A nice pair of fingerless gloves can help as well.

During the cold winter months, the surf can be bigger, so having a nice dry top and waders will help keep you dry during launching and landing. Its not fun to launch and start the morning wet and cold.

With the base layers, tops and bottoms its nice to have fast drying fabrics, but wool can work as well. It doesn't dry as fast as some of the synthetic materials but still insulates pretty well.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigafish View Post
Neoprene waders for a early launch. $50 amazon. Work well with a beanie, glove and a sweater. Usually hot by 11.
great, thanks, def gonna pick some of those up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
I get cold easy and then stay cold, so when its cold in the mornings 30s-40s and then warms up a bit, its nice to be able to shed layers as needed. I typically wear polar tech base wear top and bottoms. Then my patagonia waders, another top possibly and my paddling jacket. Then a beanie or cap to protect my ears and a face buff. A nice pair of fingerless gloves can help as well.

During the cold winter months, the surf can be bigger, so having a nice dry top and waders will help keep you dry during launching and landing. Its not fun to launch and start the morning wet and cold.

With the base layers, tops and bottoms its nice to have fast drying fabrics, but wool can work as well. It doesn't dry as fast as some of the synthetic materials but still insulates pretty well.
right on, thank you for the info man i appreciate it.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
chris138
donkey roper

Winter Kit

bottom:

merino wool socks (like the skiing kind)
thermal underwear or tights
heavy sweatpants
stockingfoot breathable waders (neoprene not advised unless you like swamp ass)
crocs over waders for launching (ya I wear crocs bro)

Top:
lightweight top like a rashguard or PFG Columbia shirt
additional layer or fleece
heavy duty hoodie
buff rag
beenie
splash jacket over the top
pfd

I was out this week and it was 40 degrees at the launch at 5 am. In this setup you can take a full on barrel on the head and still be dry as a bone (except your head, maybe stash your beanie for the launch).

if anyone responds saying that you will drown in waders....

I was thinking about doing a youtube video to cover this, the topic seems to come up all the time.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:46 PM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

Jim Sammons already did an experiment in his pool about drowning in waders I’m sure it’s on YouTube.

I do like fishing the squid beds and yo-yo yellows and seabass in the winter but I too do not love the cold weather. I will never forget this morning. I had never seen my truck display this temperature until this time. And I’ve seen it display 32 degrees so it must have been below that.

Mistakenly all I had on were stocking foot waders and a light waterproof jacket. I would listen to others suggestions on attire, but the waders themselves do help a lot since they do not let any water into your core, legs or feet. Just start chasing a few birds around for a mile or two and you’ll warm up.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:48 PM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

https://youtu.be/OYwG52p4yjs
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:13 PM   #8
Oolie
Headshots Only

This is my favorite time to get on the water. I'd wear breathable waders if you have them. You can layer up underneath.

That or a caffeinated beverage warms you right up. Try it!

Nothing cold about LJ, try Cuyamaca if you want numb fingers.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:49 PM   #9
FISH11

When the water temp is 60 or less I usually use my splash pants and splash jacket. if the wind is blowing harder also then I use my breathable waders (usually like 3 to 4 times a year), the rest of the time I fish in my bathing suit, long sleeve UV shirt and a sweatshirt. These last couple months it's been more about the crazy weather patterns were there is high surf and or high winds 13+mph. I can't even remember when is the last 6 years I have not gone out at least once in two weeks. Usually I try to go once or more per week, almost exclusively mid-week. I think it almost 2 months now. The weather isn't the only reason as this last half of the year has been really slow in the Yellowtail and WSB fishing. I don't tend to target rock fish as I just don't find it exciting. Nothing like the pull of Yellowtail or even a shark. I like to go out an just enjoy the scenery, getting a good workout, time on the water and drinking beer, but being cold and having to fight strong currents and high wind while even catching bait is a chore, just takes the fun out of it. I can't wait for these constant storms to end and get back to out normal weather patterns. If I wanted this type of weather I would have moved to the Pacific North West.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:22 AM   #10
SoCalEDC

Wow thanks guys for the info, videos, and detailed explanation. I knew I could count on this community for some great info.

Thanks guys
Old 12-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #11
skrilla

This time of year I wear speedos under my boardshorts.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #12
Saba Slayer

Winter Clothes...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6425.JPG (31.7 KB, 183 views)

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:10 AM   #13
FullFlavorPike

Breathable waders are the absolute shit. Just make sure your splash jacket is on tight because a few gallons of water (from an ill-timed wave over the bow) in your waders all day is bogus.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:41 AM   #14
LEEZO

this jacket with a waterproof paddle jacket over it will keep you plenty warm. I use this combo for the cold lobster nights. works well with any waders.

https://www.quiksilver.com/waterman-...QYW803014.html
LEEZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:20 AM   #15
DanaPT

layer up with non cotton material... I use the nylon polyester material cause if you do get wet, you'll dry fast. ALSO, if you not using it, it wads nicely in a dry bag.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #16
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Oh man, this video is from 2008. Look at Jim! Hahaha rad I always loved this one.

chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:53 AM   #17
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Wet cotton will keep you cold when the wind blows.

My synthetic kayak pants keep the water out and the warmth in. High top wet suit socks keep my feet warm and they are flexible. My shirts usually stay dry, so a normal hoodie over my synthetic fishing sports shirts is OK if it's covered with a waterproof windbreaker.