Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
CDFisher

Batteries or battery ???

I want to hook up my bait tank and ff on
One 12v motorcycle battery with a Okeler Waterproof DC Power Converter 12V Step Down to 6V 3A 18W
Power supply for the bait tank, but I don't know is it's going to
Work the way I think it's going to.

Has anyone ever done or is doing this?

Last edited by CDFisher; 11-05-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Had to add something
CDFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:55 AM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

In principle it should work. They claim 96% efficiency which is probably closer to 85-90. You'll have to size your battery to upwards of 20ah so now you're getting in the area of the lesser common battery sizes so whatever cost savings you may had with just going with one instead of two probably went out the window
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
Raskal311

step downs burn off excess power via heat so you are not saving a lot of energy by going that route. I asked the same question a few months ago and took the two separate batteries route. fficeffice" />>>
Old 11-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
CDFisher

Thanks for the info. I think I'll go for the
Two batteries. It seems to be the way to go
Old 11-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
kaya_one

I will not go anywhere near admitting anything in relation to electrical jargon, but I am successfully running one battery setup running bait tank and ff.
My reason is to not have 2 batteries having more weight and more cost and having to remember 2 batteries at 5am prior to launch time.

I have one of the larger amphour batteries (don't recollect which number, but I can look), then I have it split to the Lowrance Elite 4 ff and to a Bristol Bay bait tank (typical set up). The bait tank is on an analog timer that runs 5 sec on and 15 sec off. I typically am out on water around 7 hours and never had any issues.
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya_one View Post
I will not go anywhere near admitting anything in relation to electrical jargon, but I am successfully running one battery setup running bait tank and ff.
My reason is to not have 2 batteries having more weight and more cost and having to remember 2 batteries at 5am prior to launch time.

I have one of the larger amphour batteries (don't recollect which number, but I can look), then I have it split to the Lowrance Elite 4 ff and to a Bristol Bay bait tank (typical set up). The bait tank is on an analog timer that runs 5 sec on and 15 sec off. I typically am out on water around 7 hours and never had any issues.

Kaya,

With your timer you wouldn't need a step down converter like the thread starter. I'm curious though as to what the current draw of the timer is.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
CDFisher

Do you think you can give me the details of your setup?
because i really don't want to run two batteries.
so if you can that would be great. Thanks
Old 11-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
kaya_one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Kaya,

With your timer you wouldn't need a step down converter like the thread starter. I'm curious though as to what the current draw of the timer is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDFisher View Post
Do you think you can give me the details of your setup?
because i really don't want to run two batteries.
so if you can that would be great. Thanks
I forgot to mention that I am not familiar with the, "Okeler Waterproof DC Power Converter 12V Step Down to 6V 3A 18W."
My system is pretty basic as I prefaced with the fact that I don't have much electrical knowledge.
I'll post up my set up maybe tonight or tomorrow.
PM me if you have more specifics and I'd be happy to chat by phone if that helps.
I figured the easy math is $35 / battery = $70. So I went with one battery at $40 (more amphours). Unfortunately, I had to buy the timer for $30 after the fact. Factor in miscellaneous waterproof/stainless fittings as well. Depending on how much time on the water you may get away with not having the timer.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
kaya_one

Getting back to this post as I said I'd put up some details. Sorry, I know how everyone loves pics, but not happening right now.
Gruber 12v 10.5amphour battery running splitter to ff and bait tank.
Bilge pump 360gph, 12v, 2.5 ampfuse (Rule brand name - typical).
Analog timer from OEX running pump 5sec on and 15sec off.