Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
Trident 15
Junior

Knifes on your PFD ??????

Hi guys Do you have a Knife on your PFD ???

Which One ?

Blunt tip or pointed ?

Blade length

Titanium or stainless ?

I have been reading Reviews on many Knifes and many say their knifes fall out of the sheaths ( ? poor locking system ) Are some better than others ?

Price and good place to Buy ?

Thanks for all the info in the past, you have been very helpful !

Bob....................
Trident 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
dorado50

No, and keep looking for a knife that doesn't fall out of its sheath. I bought a handfull of knifes from anglers choice for $6.00 each , (plastic sheath and serrated edge),awhile ago.I don't plan on bull riding a gws anytime soon so these work out great....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
JoeBeck

This knife will not fall out of the sheath. It is high quality, stays sharp, and fits on your PDF lash tab.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...71&pdeptid=960
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBeck View Post
This knife will not fall out of the sheath. It is high quality, stays sharp, and fits on your PDF lash tab.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...71&pdeptid=960
For $100, it better do something
Old 12-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
dorado50

That nrs knife is way over the top. One would probably loose it within a few uses, or after awhile you decide you want a better(or different) knife. Do yourself a favor and keep your kayak knife cheap and simple..
Old 12-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
PescadorPete

Yes, always, its a safety thing. A folding knife in the PFD pocket tied off to a tether shorter than an arms length. By grabbing the back of the blade and extending your arm you can open the knife one handed. And you can't drop it and lose it. Imagine your hand getting wrapped up in the line as big mister T pulls you over the side and underwater. How else are you going to get out of that one?
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
StinkyMatt

For a hundred bucks that knife better launch my kayak, hook a breeding/ pup trasher, filet it and cook it for me!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:43 AM   #8
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
For a hundred bucks that knife better launch my kayak, hook a breeding/ pup trasher, filet it and cook it for me!
X2.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:26 AM   #9
JoeBeck

You can get the stainless steal one for $39 . I found when I buy cheap knifes............. well they end up being cheap knifes
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PescadorPete View Post
Imagine your hand getting wrapped up in the line as big mister T pulls you over the side and underwater. How else are you going to get out of that one?
This is exactly why I fish spectra.... Nah Nah nah naaahhh Nah Nah nah naaahhh Hey Hey Hey Goodbye hand.

I don't think a PFD knife is nearly as important for the fishing we do as it is for rafting and whitewater kayaking. That said is I was going to buy a "river knife" it would probably be a Gerber, most a Gerber shorty.

$25 bucks at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-River-Shorty-Knife/dp/B0042NKPO2

Then I'd probably sharpen a point on it...but honestly.... If I really wanted to buy something for my PFD I'd go with a tactical folder.

Most likely a Spyderco Byrd Crossbill.

Ebay $18 here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyderco-Byrd-Cr...item2a0ccd926d

Here's why I'd choose that over a "River Knife": First off it's just a wicked little knife... I like the hook shaped traditional marine type blade because it quickly grabs rope for cutting in a emergency, and it's clean no serrated. I know some love them but I do not like serrated blades because I like to sharpen my own blades and get them razer sharp and I just do not like the way serrated blades sharpen.

That knife is super easy to open with the comet-shaped hole (rather than the traditional round Spyderco hole). It locks securely, but is still easy to close, the clip allows you to clip on vest, it has a hole for a lanyard, and since it actually has a point (unlike most "river knives) if push came to shove I could actually stick someone with it if necessary. To me that is actually a plus

Spyderco has been high quality Tactical Folders for years, and they now make the "Byrd" sub-brand to directly compete with the Chinese knockoffs of their own products which they now sell relatively dirt cheap. So it's not a knockoff it's just a Chinese made Spyderco knife. The all metal version above with the stainless steel handle is two ounces heavier (around five total ounces) then the similar composite handled knives but I'd prefer it because there is less to go wrong, and less nooks and crannies to catch salt, and since it's blade is 8Cr13MoV Stainless it should hold up well in a saltwater environment.

So....

If I was actually going to get a knife for my vest that would likely be it......

....In fact...well...honestly... while looking for pics I found one for 13 bucks online at Sierra trading post so I just ordered one.

That said I usually carry and old Rapala fillet knife I've had for years, usually in a rod holder, that someone gave me for Christmas a few seasons back about now.

I guess now I'll have to carry two knives....

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 12-23-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBeck View Post
You can get the stainless steal one for $39 . I found when I buy cheap knifes............. well they end up being cheap knifes

Some things that are essential on a kayak are ok to be cheap as long as they are effective. My $6.00 knife is a year and three months old,no rust,still sharp! Pliers should be cheap also since they too are prone to fall overboard.My $8 pair are very effective. It hurts when your $100 knife and $40 pliers go overboard! No Thanks....now fishing gear is a whole different story.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
Billy V

The $5 Promar knife I have since 2006 still works fine. Its got a blue plastic handle and a good strong sheath. (From Dana Market)
I'll post a pic later.

My New $5.99 pliers/cutters do a good job as well. (From Charkbait) 10% off for you guys - mention that you are BWE.

The old set of Walmart pliers finally broke on a Baja trip this year under heavy use.
ie. Unhooking irons from 35 Yellowtail in a day. + a half dozen or so good sized bonita. Curtosity of 2 BWE guys and 1 slimy power boater.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #13
jorluivil

I have a Deep Sea Wenoka snap on knife, I believe I paid under $40 for it at Sports Chalet, bought this back in April and it looks like new. I've used it to cut spectra, mono, flouro, rope, kelp and bait........I wash it down with freshwater after every trip. My neighbor bought a similar knife the same day at the same store and his looks like it 13yrs old. He doesn't take the time to wash it down and just lets it sit out to dry after each trip. I believe he paid about $15 less and 8months later he's going to have to buy a new one.

Whatever you buy just keep it clean and should last a long time. Leave it sitting around with saltwater on it and you'll find yourself buying a new one in no time.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #14
cowboybill

knife on leg

I carry a dive knife strapped on my leg, along with a pair of pliers that will cut spectra....

The pliers are nice, and came with a leash to the holster. P line is the brand.

I tried to use a "river knife", and it kept rusting up... probably low grade stainless.

Cowboybill
cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:52 PM   #15
Billy V

Here is the Promar Knife for $3.50

Its a strong sob with a large handle - click the pic to enlarge.

http://www.westcreekkayakandcanoe.co...roducts_id=240
Old 12-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #16
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
Here is the Promar Knife for $3.50

Its a strong sob with a large handle - click the pic to enlarge.

I get you on price but that is just not a very sexy knife
Old 12-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #17
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I have a Deep Sea Wenoka snap on knife..

Cool looking knife...

Personally I just can't get over the blunt nose thing. Yeah I get it these knives are designed for rafting where you could drop the knife and put a hole in your raft, but for kayaking I just can't see a big advantage in a blunt tipped knife. Personally I use my knife on the kayak for only a few basic things. Cutting bait, gutting fish, or stabbing it deep into halibut, or T sharks to severe thier spinal column to incapacitate them. You can gut a fish with a small knife but it sure helps if it has a point on it.

Just my take though.

Jim
Old 12-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #18
bellcon

Old 12-24-2010, 01:34 AM   #19
Fiskadoro

I got an email from a diver about this thread who told me that my Spyderco Byrd Crossbill is the cheaper form of the Spyderco H1 Spyderhawk.

Evidently the H1 Spyderhawk is used as a dive knife.

According to him my Chinese knife will discolor over time and may have some oxidation maintenance issues whereas the H1 Stainless is completely rust free, not effected saltwater at all, and holds a superior edge.

He said they are basically indestructible.
Checked around and those knives can be found in the 60 to 75 dollar range.

Nice knife but I think I'll stick to my cheaper version

Jim
Old 07-26-2012, 02:01 AM   #20
jorluivil

WHERE ARE THEY NOW?

3 years later:

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote