Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
pingpangdang

mini-x for the LJ kelp

Kayak fishing for a year now in a mini-x. Mostly bass fishing around SoCal lakes then moved on to Mission Bay. I want to hit up LJ kelp but I want to do it right. I would like to start w/ the bass then later move on to using live bait for YT.

Does anyone have a local checklist of must have/do prior to heading out? Warnings/tips/cautions i.e. routes, things to avoid?

My mini-x is pretty bare bones...no fish finder, bait tank etc. Just me, PFD, cell phone, and tackle. I just want to land some calicos for now. I know my mini-x does not perform in open waters as well as the bigger yaks but I've been surfing for 15 years and in pretty good shape (33 yrs old) and don't mind the extra effort (for now).

Any opinions/advice on heading out w/ the mini-x? I also usually head out alone since most of my friends only surf or fish from the shore and don't have yaks. Advisable?
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
StinkyMatt

Post up the day you want to go and some of the great guys from here will let you know who is going. Nothing better then having someone out there looking out for you. The advice you will get from the "guys" is great and they'll keep your ass in the fish. You don't need a lot of stuff, but a bait trank or a buddy with one goes along way.
Matt
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
dorado50

nothing wrong with mini-x, great yak for what it is... forget the small stuff and aim for the yt. My mini-x serves me well,especially offshore.

fish the kelp line an hang on.....oh, and don't get discouraged if you don't catch anything every time out,its not as easy as most want it to be...
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
Riskey Water

Welcome ,just so You know ,you can throw a plastic or spoon for a calico and get the WSB,YT,or Hali of your life fishing the kelp line .So when your pole almost flies out of your hands from the strike you will know its not a calico ,Good luck and Fish on
Riskey Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
sasha

rod and reel size and weight

Wrong post
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:25 AM   #6
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Post up the day you want to go and some of the great guys from here will let you know who is going. Nothing better then having someone out there looking out for you. The advice you will get from the "guys" is great and they'll keep your ass in the fish. You don't need a lot of stuff, but a bait trank or a buddy with one goes along way.
Matt
Great points.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
pingpangdang

Glad to see success in a mini-x. Can't wait. Thinking about going this Thursday w/ some plastics depending on conditions.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
pingpangdang

Thanks. Thinking about going this Thursday morning depending on conditions.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
Madbeaver
Nub

Hope to see you out there we will be on a orange cobra and white fish n dive good luck

Last edited by Madbeaver; 12-21-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Madbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
pingpangdang

I'll keep an eye out and say hello.