Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Kayak Ensenada?

A couple friends and I were considering heading down to Ensenada for the long weekend. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions against driving kayaks over the border or if it would be necessary to get a Mexican fishing license?

Any suggestions help!
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
dorado50

No restrictions on kayaks. If you get caught fishing w/o mex. license you could end up in jail for the rest of the weekend or maybe the rest of your life
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

You probably need a mex visa, you should get mex insurance, mex fishing licence.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
food4less562

I gone a month ago, just be ready with cash on hand to tip the cops. Over all, fishing was great there. Won't be going back...
food4less562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
Fishwhisperer619

Need a birth cirtificate, drivers license, and a visa is possible. Any time you fish in mexico you need a mexican fishing license. Heading to ensenada you will cross a few zones with tolls at each one so have cash ready on hand. Fishing around the island is fun and can hold some great fishing around later in summer(july-sept). It would be best to have a spanish speaker with you incase things go south. You shouldnt get too much trouble from anyone
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
Baja_Traveler

You Gone a month ago?

Dont ever play the mordida game - If your traveling in Mexico and a cop stops you for an alleged traffic violation offer to accompany him to the police station to pay the ticket. More often than not he will not want to spend the time and just send you on your way. If you do have to pay the fine it will most likely be considerably less than the bribe was.

Most stops are because of speed. Speed limits are considerably slower in mexico, and in kilometers per hour, not mph. After crossing the border and heading towards the coast, watch your speed on the downhill section towards the toll road - it's notorious for speeding tickets.

Yes you will need a fishing license, mexican insurance and a Tourist card if traveling any further than TJ. I've never encountered a second glance taking a kayak, they see them all the time...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Thanks for all the information! Anyone have advice on cheap/easy way to acquire a Mexican fishing license, mexican insurance or a tourist card?

I have been down to Rosarito several times and was thinking that Ensenada would not be much more of a trip

thanks
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Baja_Traveler

Join Discover Baja - then you can get everything in one place. Thats the easy way anyway, and worth the $39 a year. http://www.discoverbaja.com/join.html

Also, surf the Baja Nomads forums, tons of up-to-date travel info there...
Old 05-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
Fishwhisperer619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
You Gone a month ago?

Dont ever play the mordida game - If your traveling in Mexico and a cop stops you for an alleged traffic violation offer to accompany him to the police station to pay the ticket. More often than not he will not want to spend the time and just send you on your way. If you do have to pay the fine it will most likely be considerably less than the bribe was.

Most stops are because of speed. Speed limits are considerably slower in mexico, and in kilometers per hour, not mph. After crossing the border and heading towards the coast, watch your speed on the downhill section towards the toll road - it's notorious for speeding tickets.

Yes you will need a fishing license, mexican insurance and a Tourist card if traveling any further than TJ. I've never encountered a second glance taking a kayak, they see them all the time...

I go down to ensenada about 5 times out of the year and have never heard of a tourist card.
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
CorvinaLoca

mexican license

Mexican licenses - you can buy them online now and don't need to join any org to do it. Just google it and it's ez.

My advice to you though - just go on a local boat when you're down there. They will take care of everything including your license and it will be relatively cheap. They need the tourism $ and it's a good deal for you. I think there is a decent YT bite going on right now, but not easy to get to them in a yak. You won't have to worry about getting your yak stolen or deal with the morditas from the pitufos. In my opinion having a kayak or surfboard on your car IS more likely to get you pulled over.
CorvinaLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhisperer619 View Post
I go down to ensenada about 5 times out of the year and have never heard of a tourist card.
knowbody I've ever talked to has ever been asked for their card while down there - except for one place, and thats crossing from Northern Baja into Southern Baja at Guerrero Negro. I got asked for mine there also. Don't have it and they will turn you back north. Odds are you will never be asked for it in Baja Norte, but if you don't have it when asked it could cut your trip short and result in a major hassle. It's worth the few seconds to get, and it's about $20 at the border crossing. I'd give directions, but they have changed the San Ysidro crossing since I was last through, so directions may have changed (I generally cross at Otay and take the inland route through the wine country to Ensenada). The immigration office used to be directly before inspection stoplight after you cross into mexico, on the right hand side.

Last edited by Baja_Traveler; 05-20-2013 at 05:22 PM.