Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
SDLivin

WS Tarpon 160 mods ?

Off the wall request, but thought I would ask the mod gods anyways.
Attached is a picture of an older red Tarpon 160 that is very similar to the yak I own with the 2 covered cargo holds; 1 in front and 1 in the rear.>>
My thought was to convert the rear hatch into an open cargo hold, where I could hold a bait tank etc…>>
I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this modification done and if you know of any products in the marketplace or how to’s on this.>>
I understand that this could be a water collection area or I would have to create my own scupper hole(s).>>
I’ve looked into creating my own customer fiberglass mold, which would roll over the cargo hold lip and still be able to use the cover for surf entries/exits.>>
>Thoughts? or more work then it's worth?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wilderness-Tarpon-7.jpg (50.4 KB, 125 views)
SDLivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
sterling

I have the Tarpon 16 footer they just didn't call it the 160 when I got mine. There is a part that fits that hatch. I saw one a few years ago at a kayak shop that carried WS. They are no longer in business. The part is a deep "bucket" that fits that hatch to create a bait tank or storage like tanks or something. My thoughts on it is you should put a smaller bait tank inside, because if you filled that massive "bucket" with water you yak would weigh several hundred pounds. I created a bait tank that fit on top of that hatch. Makes it a little tippy and has to be strapped down.
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
SDLivin

Thanks. Mark @ Hook1 recalled that, in the past, WS was looking into possibly making this and is looking into it for me. You are corrrect, way too much water if i used the whole area for a bait tank. My thought would be to drop a bait tank into the insert and use the rest of the space for gear or as an ice fish/beer hold.
SDLivin is offline   Reply With Quote