Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
ratdog

LJ 10/2 am DOGGED

Lainched at 5:30am, no surf, no wind. When the sun came up there was light offshore wind not too much. Made SP Mk out in the kelp. Water was glassy and the current was north to south. Most of the morning I was the only one on the water with the exception of 1pber and a few lobster boats. Slowly trolled my way to the NW corner and back. Very annoying dogs followed me or tagged teamed me all morning. Eventually went with the irons so the dogs would leave me alone. all for nada. Off the water at 11am.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
jscott

Last time I was out-- I had knothead really follow me around for almost 1hr! I think it was because when he stole a bait from me-- he came up and I growled at him and slapped my paddle at the water. I picked up all my lines and tried tossing irons AT HIM. One time-- he came pretty close to the yak-- underwater and I jabbed my paddle at him...I didn't reach him...but it just seemed to keep him coming. He followed me forever-- with no lines in the water...I kept paddling around and tossing irons. He would just follow behind slowly. Finally, I tied off to a bouy and dropped a piece of squid down with a 3oz sinker and figured I fish bottom until he left. He came up and snorted something loudly and left immediately. A few minutes later, since I didn't see him back-- I pulled up my squid, only to find a chunky sculpin on the end of it. It is possible that he went for the squid (or sculpin) and got stung! For sure-- that was the longest one followed me...I think I antogonized him by growling and paddle slapping-- so perhaps he became territorial. I couldn't even pass him off!
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
gary sullivan

I was recently going over some past posts and found one interesting on how to handle the dogs. Since they have become a major nuisance lately for everyone I think salting a mack's belly with a habenero chile or something equally potent would be in order.
gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
Dean Machine

I like that idea. Perhaps 2 or more would be in order.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:02 PM   #5
esdees
The Good Clone

I may have finally found a good use for caribbean red peppers...
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
zeelaagee

Send a message via AIM to zeelaagee
i wonder how a nice fat wad of ExLax would work on knothead?

Last edited by zeelaagee; 10-03-2007 at 08:26 AM. Reason: sp
zeelaagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeelaagee View Post
i wonder how a nice fat wad of ExLax would work on knothead?
Not sure giving him explosive diarrhea is really the solution to the problem. He already blows bubbles at me when he's waiting underneath me for a mac, but at least they are not the stinky kind.lol
Old 10-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
Handymansd
Ancient Member

So after all of this discussion on how to discourage ol' knotthead or his friends, I still want to know if there is a viable, and humane way to discourage our little bastard of a friend, other than dynamite?...

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymansd View Post
So after all of this discussion on how to discourage ol' knotthead or his friends, I still want to know if there is a viable, and humane way to discourage our little bastard of a friend, other than dynamite?...
Slingshots and paintball guns. From what I hear, they are all legal.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #10
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

I am of the opinion that if you were to do that to big 'ol knothead, that would just piss him off that much more.
Liking the laxatives though. Maybe some antacids are in order.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #11
wavster

Speaking of paintballs, I've seen the New Seaforth with a semi-automatic paintball
gun, just blasting away at knothead when they're hitting the YT.

I can't wait to get hit with one of those...
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:28 AM   #12
Sherm

Paintballs work better when they are frozen I hit ol knothead a while back with the wrist rocket. He went on to another yaker. He doesn't have a good memory though as he came back and got my macs when I paddled back past his area.

Maybe I'll bring the painball gun next time.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #13
bjoseph
Junior

Cool

I have had the good fortune, or bad, to work with captive sea lions as an animal keeper and veterinarian for 30 years. They are quick learners if some kind of negative reinforcement is immediately paired with what they are doing, but it has to be consistent and immediate. So, if everyone could do something aversive the minute they swiped a bait from us, they would do the math and learn not to do it. However, they are really good mathematicians and always weigh odds and cost benefit. If they steal bait successfully 50 times and have something unfortunate happen once, they keep doing it. The problem with causing some unpleasant physiological event for them by giving them a "treat" (I could name some possibilities) in a fish is that it takes too long to take effect. It is like having tacos at Robertos. They taste fine, you're sick later, but you might not attribute the sickness to Robertos, so you keep going back.
bjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #14
Matt
Support your local pangas

taxation

I have had a few baits stolen over the years, and I have always thought of it as a form of paying taxes. Sea lions are annoying, seals never seem to bother me or my baits, it sucks for sure when you lose a fish to one, but hey ya gotta pay to play is the way I look at it.

Matt
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:27 AM   #15
sbsyncro

When I was a kid growing up in Monterey, I had a friend who's family were commercial fishermen. Believe it or not, the DFG used to supply them with something we called "seal bombs" which were basically M-80 explosives that were completely waterproof and would continue burning (and explode) under water. Apparently they were designed to scare off the furbags before they brought in their nets.

They also happened to work really well when flushed down the toilets of the high school gym......

Just found this link on legal deterrence of pinnipeds (knotheads, furbags, sea dogs)
http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/Marine-Mamma...-Pinnipeds.cfm

Apparently you can use forceful methods of deterrence as long as you don't:
1. break their skin
2. aim at their eyes or heads
3. disturb them from a position hauled out on rocks or beach

So, technically using a "seal bomb" would be legal to protect your catch or your gear, but I'll bet that possessing them is illegal for non-commercial fishermen (classic catch-22)
sbsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:06 AM   #16
stevo

Wrist Rocket: 10 bucks at Walmart.
Misc nuts from bolts collected over the years and bam you keep em at bay.
stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:23 AM   #17
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I would think using seal bombs would scare the fish too. I know on the Columbia River the seal bombs have been fairly ineffective.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:33 PM   #18
T-Rex

NOT!!!

lol lol lol picking up a wrist rocket tonight!
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #19
Adam

Just FYI, it is illegal to use seal bombs without a permit. I worked at a fisheries research institute tagging WSB and it was very difficult to get the seal bomb permit from DFG.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #20
lamb

Good info.

Seals are a pain.

And they’re smart.

If we could just figure something out that’s not too harsh, but they dislike. Maybe they’d learn to leave us alone.

There’s definitely a lot of training these local LJ seals get. They seem smarter than the ones down in Baja. The ones down south can be pretty… dumb. They go for your bait and get hooked more often than not. There seems to be a fewer number of them though (hmm, wonder why ).

They definitely seem to behave different in different places. The ones on San Pedro Island were leaving us alone, staying away. And there was a lot of them. We should have asked the pangeros what are they doing to them.