Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-01-2007, 05:56 AM   #1
Billy V

Need some advice on Reel/Line choice

I am about to make my first nice reel purchase. The Hoo X from Avet.

My question is should I order it spooled with #80 hollow braid and top shot of #50 mono?

or Fill the reel up with #60 or #80 Hollow Braid completely?

I do not now the significance of threading on a Top Shot of line. Can anyone shed some light on the subject for me.

* I intend on using it in LJ Cove from the Hobie.

Thanks in advance
Bill
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #2
FISHIONADO

I'm no expert but this is what I do: I put on 50lb mono on the reel first and fill it just under half way. Then I use a uni-uni knot to tie on 65lb braid/spectra, not hollow, and fill the rest of the reel. There are many good techniques for the leader and they all work but my preference is to use a swivel and and short length of 20-30lb flouro leader. I like the swivel for less line twist and easy knot tying, and a short leader so that the swivel never has to go through the rod guides. I use the same set-up for both fly-lining and with a 2oz slider above the swivel. The main reason for the braid is to saw through kelp if necessary, the bonus is it lasts several seasons.

Some people will tell you that you need to have the line put on professionally so that you get the right tension, I say BS on that because the first time you let out a lot of line that goes away. You can do it completely manual by just holding the line with a rag as you wind it on or now I use a $25 line winder. I buy my braid at Squidco to support my local tackle shops. You can find a better deal on the internet but you will drive local folks out of business.

Hope you catch a monster with that new reel! Dave

Last edited by FISHIONADO; 08-01-2007 at 09:49 AM.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
T-Rex

If you decide to get the hollow braid with a mono topshot, you may want to consider having the shop splice & glue it for you. It makes for a pretty nice connection.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:31 PM   #4
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
I'm no expert but this is what I do: I put on 50lb mono on the reel first and fill it just under half way. Then I use a uni-uni knot to tie on 65lb braid/spectra, not hollow, and fill the rest of the reel. There are many good techniques for the leader and they all work but my preference is to use a swivel and and short length of 20-30lb flouro leader. I like the swivel for less line twist and easy knot tying, and a short leader so that the swivel never has to go through the rod guides. I use the same set-up for both fly-lining and with a 2oz slider above the swivel. The main reason for the braid is to saw through kelp if necessary, the bonus is it lasts several seasons.

I do pretty much the same thing, but I like to waste money, so I just fill the reel with Braided spectra, also from Squidco.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:29 AM   #5
h2ofishfo

dud if u buy a avet reel from sqiudco they fill it free w/spectra & no bottom shot either all the way so consider buyin your avet from there i have bought 2 from there & they give the seeker rods 1 free rod replacement in store 3yr sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

That is a whole lot of reel for inshore fishing .. You may want to take a look at the single or 2-speed SX or MX...
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
zeelaagee

Send a message via AIM to zeelaagee
this topic has me a little confused too.

i just purchased a torium 20 (a thing of beauty) and am getting ready to throw some line on it.

my plan is to use it primarily as a live bait reel on a 8' Tica 17-25# graphite casting rod. was planning on using a 20# spectra backer with 20# mono topshot/flouro leader... but the more i think about it the more i get confused. the dude at the tackle shop scoffed when i suggested using a light backer like that. so now i'm rather unsure.

i have the same rod with a shimano cardiff that i'll make the exclusive jig/iron/trap/grub hucker. have 20# braid on that with a mono leader.

so many different choices- so much confusion.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I would tend to think 20 lb line may be hard-pressed to cut through kelp if you get "that" fish.. I would recommend at least 50 lb spectra as a backing up to 65 lb. Then your mono/flouro backing can be whatever rating you want. Use a topshot anywhere from 6' to 20' and you should have no problem getting in and out of the kelp. By no means is this the only way nor is it based alone on my limited experience but it seems to be the end result of many guys' experienced based input via this board...
Old 08-02-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
FISHIONADO

I think the offshore guys like the spectra on the reel first then mono and finally a leader, maybe to save the cost of swapping out all mono often, I don't really know so I hope someone else comments.

The inshore guys go mono first to save the cost of all spectra (and it helps to prevent the spectra from spinning on the reel), then at least a hundred yards of spectra, then a leader to fool the fish. The spectra will saw through kelp when a fish runs for cover and wraps itself up, just keep steady tension and often the fish will do all the sawing action.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
h2ofishfo

yeah i always thought if the purpose was to cut kelp & horse a fish through the kelp then why use a top shot of mono go 65 spectra then 30 flouro a little high but its flouro they cant see it anyways & the stiffness of the line wont hinder presentation
Old 08-03-2007, 06:46 AM   #11
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
yeah i always thought if the purpose was to cut kelp & horse a fish through the kelp then why use a top shot of mono go 65 spectra then 30 flouro a little high but its flouro they cant see it anyways & the stiffness of the line wont hinder presentation
I think this is the way I will go. I want the benefit of spectra in the kelp.

Thanks
Bill
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:33 AM   #12
yaky yak

I recently bought a new avet MXL and put 25# mono backing with 300 yds of 30# braid, and use a floro leader using a albrite knot, but I now think I should of went at lest 50# on the braid as I'm not sure the 30# is going to cut kelp.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:25 AM   #13
GHOSTHUNTR

65# braid is the way to go. There is no advantage to go any lighter than that. Also, you do seem a little overgunned with the hoo-x reel. The MX series is PLENTY of reel for local waters.
GHOSTHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #14
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

And from what I understand.. The MX and the SX have the same drag components. The MX just has a larger line capacity... which is moot anyway since your filling it with braided line...
Old 08-07-2007, 07:25 AM   #15
h2ofishfo

this really depends i have a mxl & jx definitely if u are going to throw IRONS on it go 65# braid if u go 50 or 30 u are going top b losing a whole lot of irons but 50# is perfect for live bait
Old 08-07-2007, 07:59 AM   #16
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrinkman View Post
And from what I understand.. The MX and the SX have the same drag components. The MX just has a larger line capacity... which is moot anyway since your filling it with braided line...
That is not the case. The Sx and Mx have different sized drag washers. That is why you get different specs. I thnk it's the MXJ and MXL that are just different capacities.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote