Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
Regor
Greg

RUDE awakening, Revo Launching 101

It's my off-Friday, theres a storm coming, I'M going fishing today! Late start, why not, been working hard putting in a lot of hours, I deserve a break. Got to LJ appx 7:30am.

Unloaded yak and loaded gear to the sound of the waves. Yes, it was higher than I was expecting from looking online, but I'm going fishing! Not used to hearing the thunderous sound of the waves crashing, but it's all good.

I spent a LOT of time watching the sets, timing it, timing it ,,, GO! I'm paddling away, getting a little wet, but doing good, almost there .... WHAM.... sideways!

What happened, and this really relates to those with rudders (I'm on a Revo).

I'm thru most of the incoming waves via paddle, I get my feet into the Mirage drive stirrups, undo the strap holding the Mirage drive, start peddling, using my paddle to assist and direct the yak, last wave, here it comes, and WTF. My rudder deploys and I make an immediate right turn Clyde with the last wave bearing down on me. Too late, over I go.

Results - No gear lost due to tying it all down, however, 1 mirage drive fin bent. Yeah, that'll put a damper in your day.

As I'm hanging around, 1 yak comes along and is determined to get out, and he's successful paddling away. Also driving up to the launch are 3 more pick-em-up trucks.... sitting there, watching the surf..... U-turn ... not today !

Along comes Eric (467Echo), and he's going out, and I pick his brain a little (nice to meet you Eric, hope you were successful).

Here's where the "Revo launching 101" comes along, and I learned a couple things that should make my future launching more successful, (and hopefully yours).

1) Leave the bungee strap connected to the mirage drive as you're in the surf
2) As you wade out into the surf, get deep enough to deploy your rudder, and lock it in the down position, and center
3) Pick your time to launch,,, paddle paddle paddle
4) With your feet in the mirage stirrups, you can peddle as soon as you are deep enough.
5) Once you are past the break, NOW release the bungee strap holding the mirage drive in the up position

My errors due to inexperience were - I always disconnected the bungee cord for the mirage drive when I was ready to peddle, I never assumed that I could leave it connected and still peddle. (this cost me a new fin after rolling the yak).

2nd error - I only deployed and locked the rudder in the down position when I felt it was safe and I was beyond the surf. In this case, the rudder deployed itself prematurely, costing me

They can't teach you everything in a book, and I just got some OTW OJT.

Hopefully this will help someone else out there.

Greg
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
tagyak

thanks for your OTW lesson learned. i'll keep this in mind the next time i am out in la jolla.
bummer about your fin though. you mentioned that it was bent, do you think the rod could be straightened so that you could still use them? good luck

what type of fin was it? i got my old standard fin if you need them....let me know
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
Jimmyz123

Sorry to hear about your spill man. Glad it all turned out well and you're not hurt or had any lost gear.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
roadx

im far from an expert but i peddle out and peddle in, i have my rudder down and locked and my peddles in and ready to go before i start taking off. jump in and peddle like hell.
coming in i hold the rudder cable in the down position but let go at the last second, as soon as i let go my outback has a tenancy to go sideways. at the same time push one peddle forward in the up position and jump out turn the bow into the surf before the next wave. remove the drive and lock the rudder in the up position before i pull it up on the beach. only rolled once. knocking on wood
Old 03-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Nic D

sorry to hear about your day.... I do it just like RoadX

1) Leave the bungee strap connected to the mirage drive

2) As you wade out into the surf, get a little deeper than knee, enough to deploy your rudder, and lock it in the down position AND release your bungeed peddles.

3) Pick your time to launch,,, butt goes in first, then put your feet right in and peddle, peddle, peddle

5) Once you are on the outside, sponge your seat area out with a $.99 sponge from home depot

instagram - @DRAGO619
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
you mentioned that it was bent, do you think the rod could be straightened so that you could still use them? good luck

what type of fin was it? i got my old standard fin if you need them....let me know
The rod is bent and I'll be replacing it. It is a Turbo. The guys at Mission Bay OEX are replacing it. Should be appx $50 lesson.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
jhook

What? No video?

Sorry to hear about the damage. Still sounds better than working. I hope you got to fish anyway.
jhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
Dean Machine

I just paddle like hell.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
Deamon

Bummer on that launch. It's a shitty feeling as soon as you go sideways...I've always paddled out keeping the mirage drive bungeed on the bow. It's coming in that gets me. I leave the drive in place peddling and paddling like hell but I haven't been comfortable with it unless they're only ankle slappers...

This season, from the tips I've heard here, I'm going to try:

-jumping out on my landing sooner/deeper not waiting to get all the way in
-bringing less crap
-landing with a big on my lap...
-smoking a big when it all comes together
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

Nice meeting you Greg. It could have been worse right? Hopefully you can get back out there soon. As for me, I had a successful landing in the dark. See you on the water one of these days
Old 03-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #11
-scallywag-
Banned

rudder in the surf zone?

While most days with small surf it doesn't matter, but all is takes is once to loose or damage a bunch of gear so I gotta disagree with the rudder in the surf-zone tip. Here's why:

1) The rudder depends on a good amount of water moving over it to turn the yak, so if you get stopped and/or turned by a foamer you now have to build up a little speed to even start to correct (while the next wave bears down on you). The yak responds much faster to the paddle, especially when stopped.

2)In larger waves the peddles/and rudder will not hook-up as well in the cavitation left behind the foamers

3) You cannot use your paddle to "brace" (stay upright) if it is strapped to the side of the yak.

4) Coming in, the paddle is even more crucial because it gives you much better speed control AND reverse ability, not to mention the brace....remember you dont want to ride a cresting wave but follow it in. Once you pass the impact zone the foamers are much easier to ride in.

If you are having problems with your rudder coming down, your controls probably need to be adjusted.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #12
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 467echo View Post
As for me, I had a successful landing in the dark. See you on the water one of these days
Thats because it's my old Revo....how's thing been, Eric?

My recommendations for what its worth is peddle like a mo' fo and forget the paddle. One hand on the steering and the other on the yak. Of course time it right. The last time I paddled instead of peddled, I ended up getting hooked by my Tady as I got tossed in the surf. My problem that day was that I left the rudder up, but un-did the bungie. Surf was really too big (should have just got back in the truck) that day and the force of the swell deployed my rudder and the next thing I knew was that I was going sideway's up the face and then an unexpected tumble as I got sucked back over the crest (never knew the rudder could be forced down - snapped the rudder pin, too). Just lock that rudder in and go.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #13
evilkhemist

I do exactly what Scallywag suggested, it has been effective in my outback. So far (knock on wood) the only time I ate it, I tried peddling all the way in and did not bungee my peddles. The remnants of a 4 footer at night time picked me up and rolled me, just because I had did not have the peddles bunge'ed and they acted like a sailboat keel. I tried leaning into the foam but the down peddles gave the wave something to push against, so in a go with 5 lobster nets. I loved every second of it, except for losing 1 net.
So,
1) Rudder up and paddle in hand for steering.
2) Peddles have the bungee on it.
3) enjoy the ride in
evilkhemist is offline   Reply With Quote