Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
fearnofish

Rancho Leonero July 9th-16th

Here is a quick rundown on the fishing from our trip to Rancho Leonero. This place is awesome!
We arrived Friday to the wind blowing hard and got the word cold water had moved in. Not good for the fishing but we were not to be disappointed for long.

Saturday, day one of fishing we fished on a Panga .... ZERO'ed Wind was blowing and cold water was cold like we had heard making for tough fishing. We were focused on catching big roosters since the cold water was in and the reports were spotty on the other fish.

Sunday- Kayak fished in front of the hotel about a 1/2 mile off shore... Big pargo on my bass rod!! Guess what was for dinner that night!

Name:  Kayak Pargo.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  61.8 KB

Monday we went looking for the tuna and dorado. Picked up a couple smaller dorado on the troll (released them) and lost a big one. Found some tuna but they went down quickly and we never got hooked up. Headed inshore in the afternoon and picked up a nice rooster. I figure it was about 30#'s
Name:  Andrew Rooster.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  82.4 KB

Dorado caught on the troll. Notice the one in the background. Should have pitched spoon or something and picked it up too.
Name:  Dorado pair.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  30.7 KB

Tuesday - Fished out front of the hotel again on the kayaks about a mile or so out. Had some Dorado come through and tossed some live sardines at them to get em going. Hooked up, again on the bass rod. Woooooo Hooooooo!!! I love this Curado 300 DSV reel.

Out early waiting for the bait boat.
Name:  Andrew and Courtney morning.jpg
Size:  38.4 KB
Name:  Courtney kayak morning.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  39.1 KB

Bendo!!
Name:  Andrew Kayak bendo2.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  Kayak Dorado.jpg
Size:  65.4 KB

Wednesday.... Holy Sh%# is all I can say!! We were upgraded to a cruiser since someone had asked for the captain we had lined up. We prefer the pangas but went for it anyway. We got into a wide open Tuna bite very close to the hotel, It was non stop action for about 3 hours. We actually left them biting. Courtney hooked up first and ended up losing what was the biggest tuna of the day at the boat. I am sure it was 35-40# plus. We kept about 10 Tuna and a few dorado that also came through. Not sure how many tuna we released. Only had time for a couple of pics. After a while we switched to the light gear and Courtney caught a couple on her new Shimano baitrunner 8000 with 20# and I broke out the Curado with 20lb test. I thought I was going to get spooled but fortunately I had it backed up with Spectra and finally got him stopped by cranking down on the drag. My wife Courtney was on a roll with the Tuna catching the biggest and the most!
Name:  Courtney tuna.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  65.5 KB
Name:  Courtney light tackle tuna.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  75.2 KB

Look how close to shore we were, I should have paddled here with the kayak! This is one of my wifes light tackle tuna. It got iced down quickly and was sushimi later that afternoon!
Name:  Courtney Dorado.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  63.3 KB

It was definitely a fantastic trip. We had a great time and are already planning our next trip! If you ever get the chance to go to Rancho Leonero just do it!
Andrew
fearnofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
bigbarrels

Awesome! Great place and great story and photos Heading down that way in October
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote