Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
tehburninator

mb 9/9 :/

so sadly to report my second trip into the bay on the yak. got skunked so hard im still smelling it.. orignially was suppose to go out on a private boat for some paddy action, plans fell through, so loaded up the kayak in the truck at 10:30 am sunday. had a short conversation with my brother in norcal.. and off the west marine i went.

PICKED UP MY PFD, at the west marine by shelter island. great service by the fella working the fishing reel booth.

anyhow, wanted to try out shelter island and hug the shore around there as i've been catching halibut off shore there... no dice, it was about 12:00 or so... no parking very close to the launch ramp, and did not want to take the cart with me so walking back seemed stupid at that point... drove over to mission bay and got great parking and unloaded and packed up.

hoping to snag up on just one nice fish and go home for the day, i started drifting around to my usual spots i fish with good results...... nada this time... the skys were cloudy, very windy. and the water seemed a bit chilly. was throwing plastics of all sorts that have been contenders for me in the past, yet nothing. everything from smelt patterned, black and white, anchovy swims, camo grubs, pearl white grubs.. flukes..... then... finally hooked up on a midget lizard fish out of the blue at abour 4 so i said heck... lets throw him back in, hooked him on a dropper loop with a 1 oz sinker and sent him back down for NO LOVE =/

guess it was just a bad day.... fellas on the boat soaking 6 rods with bait said they havnt even had a nibble.... i guess i got a few tiny nibbles so i cant complain too bad right? :/

oh well, it was a ok day out as far as weather goes, got a killer work out... still feeling it in my shoulders and back and arms, my legs are sunburnt for the first time EVER (never wore shorts) and i am getting the hang of this paddling thing... even stood up to stretch a few times

anyone feel like taking me out and showing me how its done? say next sat after 1pm? hit me up!!!!!
tehburninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
abovi001
Junior

Water temps two fridays ago 72-3 ish... this last friday 62-3.. usually puts a damper on the bite... hope it heats back up .. offshore action still seems decent so there's a chance mid sept.. I lived 1 street back from shelter island for 2 years know that area by foot well.. boy i miss it
abovi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
tehburninator

ah, seemed like it was kinda slow, even from shore... thought i was doing something different, but i was pretty damn sure i was doing everything the same as before... well, guess gotta wait for the timing again
Old 09-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
pchen911

Did you use crank baits or plugs at all?

Berkeley frenzy had always produced good results at MB during the summer months for me.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

High-ish winds and low water temperature = lethargic and spooked fish in Mission Bay.

I was planning to head out with some other friends on a boat, but we decided to pass after seeing the weather reports.

We're going to try again this next Saturday (09/15). It'll still be a little breezy, but the water temperature should higher.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
fisher_4_life

A few of us went out last Friday and it was a super tough bite. I only managed one short halibut and one bass.
fisher_4_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
tehburninator

yeah i went out the previous weekend in search of hali's as well (first time on the yak) and nearly got skunked except for a ice breaker bass at the end

i was getting quick nibbles, but nothing to take the hook, even had some nibbles that moved my rod significantly but still no love.

dont fish with crankbaits or plugs too much in the bay.. i throw the lucky craft at the surf once for a shorty hali, and hooked up on a nice sbb once but thats all the love i got on the lucky craft.. been meaning to take it to coronado for some corvina experimentation.

oh well, i chalked it up as not having the right conditions for the feesh

anyhow, i will be putting together an anchor trolley today, along with attaching a few chain links to the anchor and working on putting a leash on my gear. hopefully getting a chance to get out early early next weekend into san diego bay since i feel more comfortable paddling around now. there have been spots right out of shelter island that i have been dying to drop line into but cant because i have no access. most likely sunday morning. anyone wants to tag along and show a young kid the ropes is more then welcome to! will be looking for hali on the plastics =)
Old 09-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
T Bone

.Sorry to hear about the skunk,you werent the only one.Fished offshore out of Dana on sat.went to the 277-209 and back only saw 2 dry kelps.Lots of boats in the area and didnt see or hear of one bent rod.Serious lack of kelps in that area I heard the 267 and butterfly were still holding fish in good numbers.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
tehburninator

^^^ no problem, haha a sucky day of fishing is stilll way better then the raiders...... oh did i type that out?!!?! woops i mean better then a good day at work. regardless of which, i got more experience under my belt and learned a thing or two.

with that being said. i'm trying to figure out a few things, making a bait tube,

making bait to fill said bait tube, and leashing down my gear in event of roll over.

i spent a little time last night making a basic anchor trolley which i am going to test out this weekend, also added 1 ft sections of galvanized chain link to my anchor, figure i want my anchor to lay down for better chance to grab something. and the extra weight helps it sink anyhow

contemplating buying a small fish finder to explore the bays...

and thinking about different rigs for bottom fishing with plastics.... lots to think about before the weekend =) hopefully the water will be a bit better then and i'll have more luck this time around. and then next week tuesday i'll probably jump on a party boat for half day kelp beds adventure for some calico's and or barracudas... my lady's parents fridge is empty hehe
Old 09-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
pchen911

Just FYI. Went out yesterday at MB for an afternoon session.

Crank bait and berkeley frenzys are the ticket. 8 spotties, 1 calico, 2 short halibuts, and 1 big Hali twice the width of my net that I couldn't get on the boat that finally shook the hook. I am gonna start bringing the gaff for MB... This ts the second time it happened to me there.

Slow at first, but activity picked up later in the afternoon.

Get some deep diving cranks and good luck out there.

Last edited by pchen911; 09-13-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:39 AM   #11
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehburninator View Post
so sadly to report my second trip into the bay on the yak. got skunked so hard im still smelling it.. orignially was suppose to go out on a private boat for some paddy action, plans fell through, so loaded up the kayak in the truck at 10:30 am sunday. had a short conversation with my brother in norcal.. and off the west marine i went.

PICKED UP MY PFD, at the west marine by shelter island. great service by the fella working the fishing reel booth.

anyhow, wanted to try out shelter island and hug the shore around there as i've been catching halibut off shore there... no dice, it was about 12:00 or so... no parking very close to the launch ramp, and did not want to take the cart with me so walking back seemed stupid at that point... drove over to mission bay and got great parking and unloaded and packed up.

hoping to snag up on just one nice fish and go home for the day, i started drifting around to my usual spots i fish with good results...... nada this time... the skys were cloudy, very windy. and the water seemed a bit chilly. was throwing plastics of all sorts that have been contenders for me in the past, yet nothing. everything from smelt patterned, black and white, anchovy swims, camo grubs, pearl white grubs.. flukes..... then... finally hooked up on a midget lizard fish out of the blue at abour 4 so i said heck... lets throw him back in, hooked him on a dropper loop with a 1 oz sinker and sent him back down for NO LOVE =/

guess it was just a bad day.... fellas on the boat soaking 6 rods with bait said they havnt even had a nibble.... i guess i got a few tiny nibbles so i cant complain too bad right? :/

oh well, it was a ok day out as far as weather goes, got a killer work out... still feeling it in my shoulders and back and arms, my legs are sunburnt for the first time EVER (never wore shorts) and i am getting the hang of this paddling thing... even stood up to stretch a few times

anyone feel like taking me out and showing me how its done? say next sat after 1pm? hit me up!!!!!
That was probably the sign to stay and fish, sometimes you have to earn it.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
tehburninator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchen911 View Post
Just FYI. Went out yesterday at MB for an afternoon session.

Crank bait and berkeley frenzys are the ticket. 8 spotties, 1 calico, 2 short halibuts, and 1 big Hali twice the width of my net that I couldn't get on the boat that finally shook the hook. I am gonna start bringing the gaff for MB... This ts the second time it happened to me there.

Slow at first, but activity picked up later in the afternoon.

Get some deep diving cranks and good luck out there.

gonna have to tag along with you sometime
Old 09-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
tehburninator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
That was probably the sign to stay and fish, sometimes you have to earn it.

i was there for 5-6 hours.... lol!
Old 09-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
pchen911

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehburninator View Post
gonna have to tag along with you sometime
You are very welcome. Though I do weekday sessions mostly to avoid the crowds. Gonna be out again next week on Wednesday, not sure if am or pm yet though.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #15
tehburninator

i agree with you on the crowds -.- weekend boaters and rental jet skiers are such douche monkeys... talking about 2-5 ft from your kayak at 10 mph to a dead stop while your looking the other way. or boating right over your line when you know they saw you throw it out there first.

so tempted to toss a swimbait at their head