Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
fearnofish

Rancho Leonero (late post) and mostly from a Panga not a yak

Finally gettin around to posting on this trip. We had an awesome time. We spent three days fishin from a Panga and 3 from the Kayaks. Unfortunately most of our fish came from the pangas, mostly due to our inexperience.

This was actually our long over due honeymoon (one year). We were there Sat June 6th to the 13th. The resort was definately our kind of place! Out in the middle of nowhere and a dirt road leading to it.

The snorkeling was awesome right in front of the hotel. Literally thousands of fish. All different kinds. Everyday we saw sea turtles.
>>
We had a great time! It was total relax/fish/snorkel and was great. The wife actually caught the big fish of the trip as you can see below. All fish she caught she did completely on her own with no help at all from puttin the live bait on, settin the hook, the fight, everything. I was a proud husband! >>
>>
I took some of my bass gear and we fished with that mostly except for trolling for the bigger dorado and Monster Roosterfish. Love the light tackle on the salt!! I got a couple doubtful looks from the captains when they saw some of my gear!>>
>>
I was committed to catch a fish here but actually never caught one from shore
Name:  Committed.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  66.7 KB

I call this pic "Bendo!!!" Hooked up on a rooster.
Name:  Andrew bendo 1.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  95.3 KB

The Rooster fish were way cool. They are frickin furocious. They chase your bait up to the surface and fight over it if there are multiple roosters. Its almost like top water fishin! The smaller ones are great fun on bass gear.>>
This pic looks like we were way out but we were actually close.

>Name:  Andrew Rooster 1.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  111.9 KB>
>>
>One of the wife’s roosters. Actually a damn nice fish

>Name:  Courtney rooster 1.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  102.9 KB>
>>
>This fish was pullin!! It was a Toro (Jack Crevalle?) Fish is in the next pic

>Name:  Andrew bendo 2.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  82.7 KB>
>>
>Name:  Andrew jack crevalle.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  102.7 KB>
>>
>This day we fished for Dorado and what a day!! Big fish below is about 25 to 30lbs. We fished with "Capt Efrin". He was way cool. Cleaned our fish right on the boat soon after they were caught so all the fish stayed nice and fresh all day.>>

>
Name:  Andrew and Capt Efrin.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  99.5 KB

Nice bull but there were some bigger that were caught by the boats going out for Marlin>>
Name:  Andrew bull dorado 1.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  112.5 KB

Same fish

Name:  Andrew bull dorado 2.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  125.2 KB

Later we got into a wide open bite on a HUGE school of Dorado. We caught over 20 fish easy and let most of them go.>>
All fish caught on light tackle. It was crazy... we were catching them as fast as we could get a bait into the water. Lines were breaking, tying on hooks, gaffing fish, just frickin nuts!>>
They jump like crazy and are way fun on the light tackle.>>
Name:  Andrerw Courtney dorado.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  130.6 KB

Continued....

>
>

>>
fearnofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
fearnofish

Continued...

Oh yea on the curado....
Name:  Andrew bull dorado 3.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  125.7 KB

The wife and another small bull Dorado
Name:  Courtney Bull Dorado 2.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  119.1 KB

fficeffice" />>This one the wife caught on the last day we fished. We were actually fishing for BIG Roosterfish and she caught this right close to shore. We were using live 15" lisa mullet for bait!! Beautiful colors! We released it since it was a "hen".
Name:  Courtney dorado 1.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  113.5 KB

Then all hell broke loose!! Here is the wife hooked up. This was an hour into the fight.... Again she did this all by herself from start to finish except for lifting it into the boat..
Name:  Courtney rooster fight.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  112.6 KB

Can you believe this fish!!! It is a frickin monster!! Not sure on the weight but somewhere between 65 and 80lbs
>Name:  Courtney monster rooster.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  109.3 KB>
>>
>She hooked into another one soon after this one that would have went at least 35 or 40 lbs but lost it>>
I did'nt catch a fish worth talkin about this day. I was ok with it though as the fish above is a fish of a lifetime for her!!>>
> >
> >
We did a little kayak fishing too. Caught a few small Pargo. Had some roosters hit but didn't get hooked up. Also paddled out to the blue water and trolled for nada. The oppurtunity was definately there I just didn't get it done on any big fish. I did hook up with a monster Needle fish that took me for a boat ride. That thing was huge, at least 4 foot long and as big around as my thigh. When I finally got it in close to the yak it started ramming the boat with its mouth wide open. Was gettin a little dangerous so I cut the line with no pics to show for it. That thing could definately do some damage!
Name:  Kayak Bendo.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  53.6 KB

Name:  Kayak bendo 2.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  36.2 KB

Cervesa time!!
>Name:  Cervesa time.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  141.5 KB>

Sunrise and sunset pics>>
>>
Sunrise>>
>
Name:  Sunrise.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  104.0 KB

Name:  sunset 1.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  72.3 KB

We will definately be going back. I am guessin the group yak trips there are awesome.

Andrew
>

fearnofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
kurt

Looks like a blast. Great report and pictures.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
h2ofishfo

definitely on the trip list fosho nice report
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
bigbarrels

Perfect! Monster roosterfish that your wife caught
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:15 AM   #6
Dan

so flippin fun!