Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
surfnutnj

Launch Condition

Hey everyone! I was thinking about heading out this Sunday. It has been a while for me since I last went out. Anyone have an update on the condition of the La Jolla launch? Do I need my wheels?

I drive a Toyota 4 Runner with 2 wheel drive. If the sand is super soft, I usually don't chance it.

Thanks in advance!
surfnutnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I would check the tides. If it will be high for either your launch or landing you should plan on using the wheels. The last time I went out there was no room on the beach to drive because of all the tourists and rentals. Also, the sand high up on the beach can get really torn up and soft, especially at high tide when everyone is crammed into a small space.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
surfnutnj

Thanks!

I figured it would be soft like you said! (especially with all the summer tourist traffic)

I will definitely be bringing my wheels on Sun. Hopefully I will get lucky and catch a !
surfnutnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

High tide is at 12:50 am 3.5 ft so the sand may be packed down nice for the morning launch. The afternoon sand will be torn up after the tanning crew shows up.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
Kahouna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
I would check the tides. If it will be high for either your launch or landing you should plan on using the wheels. The last time I went out there was no room on the beach to drive because of all the tourists and rentals. Also, the sand high up on the beach can get really torn up and soft, especially at high tide when everyone is crammed into a small space.

Bob
We saw that didn't we? Can't count on much but someone to help push them out.

I'm gonna head out Friday AM and will try not to tear it up for you.
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote