Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
steveooo

The average moyer report...

Sorry a little bit late.
My version of the Moyer Tourney.
Stayed two nights at Campland on the Bay. Not my favorite style of camping, but it serves its purpose for this tourney.

Killed some time in the bay. Caught 1 spotty on the blade, bay fishing blows.

Friday night we stayed up til about 1:30am sight fishing for rays in 1 feet of water. Stupid decision, as we were getting up at 4 am Saturday. Pretty fun though. Cool rays, not sure of a positive I.D. though, my guess is Butterfly Ray.

Got there Saturday morning, checked in and launched at 5:35. Paddled over to get my 3 free pieces of bait and headed out, after I watched my buddy swim his kayak through the “surf” after being pounded.

From there, I think my story is pretty typical. Not everyone can be a Tourney winner. Tough making bait, but still was able to catch a few fish.

This was odd. While trying to make bait, I picked up 3 sibling rockfish in 59 feet of water. Two swam away, 1 got eaten by a gull.

1 of my 2 greenbacks ended up looking like this

Ouch. Any guesses?

Caught two new species. Although $800 for biggest fish is cool, I always like catching new species.
1st = Crab

Juvi Spider Crab?

2nd New Species = Octopus in 100’
Somehow I’ve avoided these guys too. I put him on a 5/0 and sent him back down as bait with no luck.

Here are some other fish on the mega bait. Unfortunately, no tourney winners either.
I think I’ve caught this guy probably 10 times near the bull kelp. Species?

Starry

4 Mini Hali’s

Overall, a great tourney for a great cause. Grub was EXCELLENT! Didn’t score in the raffle this year (I hate Matt), but I think next year is mine.

Thanks again to Moyer, Jim, and all who put this on. It has become one of the events that I look forward to each year now.

See you all OTW

Steve
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote