Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-14-2019, 06:28 AM   #1
tak100
Recruit

Cabrillo 12-13-19

Finally got back out on my Kayak.

Foggy and cool morning so I started late but was greeted by dolphins in the bay as I pulled into the parking lot. Waves were mostly small but with larger sets mixed in.

On the water by 8:30. Water felt warm by I couldn't get my fish finder to turn on so that is best I can do for temperature. Water had a dirty film on the surface close to shore and was very green. Leftovers from the rain I suppose. Wind picked up early but got the fishing going again so I stayed another 3 hours. I probably should have left after 1. On the beach about 4.

Fishing was slow. I really had to slow down my presentation to get bit and I had quite a few taps that missed the hook. Most fish were caught on a tube bait but I brought some ghost shrimp along which got lots of bites but only a two hook ups. Only one legal size fish today. There was a ton of bait in the water that looked like anchovies. No predatory action that I could see at the surface. Maybe all the big guys were full.

Final count:
4 Calicos
3 Sand Bass
1 Sheephead
Attached Images

tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:58 AM   #2
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

thanks for the report. i always enjoy cabrillo fish reports as that is my go-to area. lots of pinhead chovies (especially in the harbor) is our usual sign to start targeting flatties. glad you didn't get the skunk.
Old 12-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

Lived in Pedro for a few years, so your Cabrillo report is great nostalgia -- Thanks.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote