Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 01-10-2020, 07:23 AM   #1
mikeatumble

Fishing King Tide

Looking for some insight here on how fishing is during a king tide.

The tide swing will be huge over the next 48 hours and I am wondering how you all have fared in past king tide conditions. Is the fishing any good or does it just kill visibility?

All of my fishing is inshore on the yak.

Thanks!
mikeatumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:53 AM   #2
DanaPT

Fish it and show us?

These days I can only fish when I can fish so go when you can go!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:14 AM   #3
mikeatumble

Thanks!

Its things like this that are to blame for 90% of the users of this site browsing and not posting fishing reports or asking questions.

Simple questions are met with "go out and show us" rather than any meaningful dialogue about our shared passion of fishing.

This site has a lot of potential but unfortunately most of the forums are patrolled by a small group of grumpy keyboard gangsters who would rather reply to bust balls than offer insight.

Signing off. Cheers!

Last edited by mikeatumble; 01-10-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #4
RookieYakker

Complaining about someone nicely bitching about life and work making them too busy to fish should be left to wives, girlfriends, and I guess maybe the occasional really weird husband/boyfriend.

Too grumpy?

Last edited by RookieYakker; 01-10-2020 at 12:03 PM.
RookieYakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:10 PM   #5
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeatumble View Post
Its things like this that are to blame for 90% of the users of this site browsing and not posting fishing reports or asking questions.

Simple questions are met with "go out and show us" rather than any meaningful dialogue about our shared passion of fishing.

This site has a lot of potential but unfortunately most of the forums are patrolled by a small group of grumpy keyboard gangsters who would rather reply to bust balls than offer insight.

Signing off. Cheers!
I didn't read his reply as grumpy.

Trust me, it's worth it for you to go out if you can. There's YT and WSB in la jolla everyday, all winter long. You just need the time to get out there. In my experience, tides have very little influence on the bite in LJ. Most likely on a king tide there will be some current, whether its the right kind or wrong kind of current depends on lots of other factors relating to the weather patterns in the socal bight. If you can go, go. I'll be out there tomorrow.

Also for what it's worth, this is the "reports" section... not the "ask for reports". You'll get less flack in the discussion section for these types of posts.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:27 PM   #6
f'nsabiki

If you'er going to LJ, get there early. The high tide around 9:00 will leave very little beach to work with.
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:25 PM   #7
jdvarnold

Is it safe? I am planning on fishing the beach outside of Dana but not sure if the current/swell will be too much?
jdvarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:08 PM   #8
mikeatumble

Re: King Tide Fishing

Is it safe? I am planning on fishing the beach outside of Dana but not sure if the current/swell will be too much?

--------------------------------

Apparently this isn't the place for these types questions. We just need to go figure it out.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:17 PM   #9
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdvarnold View Post
Launching at baby beach or the ramp is no problem. I cant speak to swellnor interval or address sea sicknes. I dont know the forecast.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:19 PM   #10
DanaPT

Talking

Quote:

Signing off. Cheers!
You took my reply wrong. But if your selling your stuff I might be interested.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:01 AM   #11
CardShark

Quote:

--------------------------------

Apparently this isn't the place for these types questions. We just need to go figure it out.
I think you're being way too sensitive, DanaPT's response didn't seem grumpy to me at all.
CardShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:01 PM   #12
jdvarnold

King tide was a non issue but the cold temperature was lol

King tide was a non issue but the cold temperature was lol
jdvarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:09 PM   #13
iethinker

The outgoing king tide driven discharge of the Del Mar River is what gave rise to the conditions I struggled against and filmed in this video.

video link here

[/QUOTE]

IET
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:48 PM   #14
DanaPT

iet....

You made that look stupid easy.

No thank you!

Old 01-12-2020, 12:29 AM   #15
tak100
Recruit

I have to say I enjoyed watching the videos.

Where was that river opening you heading into?
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #16
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
iet....

You made that look stupid easy.

No thank you!

Yard Sale Baby... On my malibu I would have eaten it no doubt in those conditions.. Both Going out and coming in.. Those big ones (the one that took your headlamp) Always rock me just enough Then using the paddle as the break on the way in

Yesterday evening 4p & 9a this morning...
Attached Images

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13

Last edited by stevie951; 01-13-2020 at 08:52 AM.
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:08 PM   #17
Salty

Quote:
Looking for some insight here on how fishing is during a king tide.

The tide swing will be huge over the next 48 hours and I am wondering how you all have fared in past king tide conditions. Is the fishing any good or does it just kill visibility?

All of my fishing is inshore on the yak.

Thanks!
Hey! New here and thought I'd let you know how the fishing was in Dana Point during that king tide! Went solo, peddled out of the harbor around 8am Saturday right around the peak of the high tide. Launched off the docks in the harbor, so it's easy getting in/out no matter the tide. Made my way around the breakwater, passed by the red buoy off Strands and parked in the kelp off the point at Salt Creek. I don't have a fish finder or bait well (YET!), so I was just using some swimbaits. Didn't have much luck until I switched over to a Hookup bait with a little bit of "Hot Sauce" on it. Was pulling in bass through the whole downward swing of the tide after that! Lots of calico in the kelp, and a handful of sand bass near the buoy on the way back to the harbor. Wasn't landing monsters, but I'll share some pics of the standouts.
Attached Images

Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:21 AM   #18
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Hey! New here and thought I'd let you know how the fishing was in Dana Point during that king tide! Went solo, peddled out of the harbor around 8am Saturday right around the peak of the high tide. Launched off the docks in the harbor, so it's easy getting in/out no matter the tide. Made my way around the breakwater, passed by the red buoy off Strands and parked in the kelp off the point at Salt Creek. I don't have a fish finder or bait well (YET!), so I was just using some swimbaits. Didn't have much luck until I switched over to a Hookup bait with a little bit of "Hot Sauce" on it. Was pulling in bass through the whole downward swing of the tide after that! Lots of calico in the kelp, and a handful of sand bass near the buoy on the way back to the harbor. Wasn't landing monsters, but I'll share some pics of the standouts.
And that's why you go when you can go. Great job, great report. I hope your even more hooked now than before.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:50 PM   #19
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Thinking about perigee and perihelion ....

Before this year I never heard the expression "King Tide" but now everyone's talking about it. I had to look it up:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_tide

On the other hand, I remember wild high tides hitting the Marine Room restaurant windows next to the La Jolla launch area pretty regularly each year. I recall reading articles that the restaurant reservations are sold out in advance by people watching the tide charts for these events.