Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-15-2019, 11:21 AM   #1
Baja_Traveler

Cambria Rockfish Slamdown

Well, since CCA has decided that tournaments are a waste of time, I traveled north for my first tournament of the year. Conditions could not have been any better, but fishing started off super slow. Decided to leave the crowd and peddled north several miles and hit the jackpot, first drop - big Red, then Lings and more reds. Total for the day - 5 lings (2 kept), 5 Reds, Copper rockfish and uncounted blues and gophers. Awesome day of fishing - with lots and lots of fish tacos in my future. Already looking forward to next year.

Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:13 AM   #2
Ggiannig89

Lots of good meat there! Nice job!
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:13 AM   #3
Cronus
Cheat to win

I went to the slam down as well, was a great time. It was my first tournament ever and first time up north. It was a lot closer than I thought and will definitely be going back. I launched from Leffingwell and went out then south a bit. Was fishing with Tobby, who took third, until I broke away, should have stuck with him. I only scored a couple of reds but man they put up a good fight. Looks like I got 30th out of 95 fisherman. If I would have nailed another scoring species it would have jumped me up. Lots of blues and gofers and check out my baby ling, its eyes were bigger than its everything going after my lure.
Attached Images

Cronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

Congratulations on some nice catches! Can you provide a link to the tournament results? Thanks.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #5
Baja_Traveler

I haven't seen the results posted anyplace other than the iATournament App.

My haul got me 6th place.

I was talking to the winner the day before the tournament at Leffingwell, prefishing was slow so he went down south someplace and picked up one of every target species to win it all.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:30 AM   #6
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Nice...

Haul.....
Old 09-21-2019, 02:37 AM   #7
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Looks like a pretty nice haul. That’s what I’m hoping to score up here now that I just picked up my new 2020 Outback from Andy on Wednesday.
Robert.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:06 AM   #8
SoCalEDC

wow, very nice haul. I wanted to get in this year, but I had some other obligations. def getting in next year.
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #9
Temecula
Junior

Ling limit change to 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Well, since CCA has decided that tournaments are a waste of time, I traveled north for my first tournament of the year. Conditions could not have been any better, but fishing started off super slow. Decided to leave the crowd and peddled north several miles and hit the jackpot, first drop - big Red, then Lings and more reds. Total for the day - 5 lings (2 kept), 5 Reds, Copper rockfish and uncounted blues and gophers. Awesome day of fishing - with lots and lots of fish tacos in my future. Already looking forward to next year.

I believe the limit for Lingcod in California is only one per angler now. I could be wrong but the DFG reg changed this year and the tournament guys should have known that.
Temecula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:50 PM   #10
stevie951
Lurker

Welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temecula View Post
I believe the limit for Lingcod in California is only one per angler now. I could be wrong but the DFG reg changed this year and the tournament guys should have known that.
I believe you believe wrong
Attached Images

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #11
Baja_Traveler

Yup - the one thing I do every year before this tournament is double check all size and possession limits for every possible fish I might catch. I have it all laminated with photo ID of all the rockfish species - because I only fish for rockfish once a year and don't recognize what half of them are by sight.
50% of the time, there are DFG officers and biology volunteers sitting at Leffingwell when we get back wanting to see and measure.
This dude is not going to be getting any expensive tickets for stupid stuff...