Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Durwood101

Hobie Outback Kayak rack for rigging while in the garage.

Guys, enough of this bending over trying to rig my Hobie. I need to get it up off the garage floor anyway for storage. I was looking online and someone came up with a rack like this:

Without knowing the specifics of this kayak he used, what would be a good resting point along the hull for the braces to be aligned. I know I need to alter the numbers a little bit for the Outback's width of almost 35 inches, but the length I wanna get right too. I figure PVC pipe is as good and cheap as anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg longs10.jpg (102.6 KB, 166 views)
Durwood101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
jhook

I've seen several people online building racks like this:
http://forum.kayak4fish.com/viewtopic.php?t=9199

Seems simple and effective, and the best part is it collapses for storage.
jhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
Durwood101

That does look simpler, looks like they used some rope to keep the brace from colapsing. Looks like you could add some rubber pads on the top to keep the 'yak from slipping around while working on it. Thanks JHook!
Old 09-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
eDUBz

Cool.

I use these stand's in the shop while I do some body work or painting part's and they wrok perfect for a Kayak stand too. For 22 bucks can't beat it.
The chain's seen in the pic adjust there's some j hook's all you do is unhook the chain and adjust either wider or narrower and they fold right up.
I use only 1 for my Ocean Kayak Malibu Two Xl and it works perfect.

http://www.tooltopia.com/astro-pneumatic-557003.aspx
eDUBz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
jhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durwood101 View Post
That does look simpler, looks like they used some rope to keep the brace from colapsing. Looks like you could add some rubber pads on the top to keep the 'yak from slipping around while working on it. Thanks JHook!
I've also seen people use nylon straps instead of the rope. I think pool noodles or pipe insulation would be pretty good for padding. I'll probably be making one these once I get some time. Check out the link for a parts list and more pics.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
Durwood101

Jhook, I just checked out the link for the instructions......yeah, pool noodle would be a nice padding, thanks again. Gonna run to the Home Depot to grab this stuff. I have some more stuff to do on my kayak before I can head out and test her seaworthiness.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
jhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDUBz View Post
Cool.

I use these stand's in the shop while I do some body work or painting part's and they wrok perfect for a Kayak stand too. For 22 bucks can't beat it.

http://www.tooltopia.com/astro-pneumatic-557003.aspx
HA! That's awesome. Just saved me from another project I didn't have time for anyway.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
eDUBz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhook View Post
HA! That's awesome. Just saved me from another project I didn't have time for anyway.
eDUBz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
jhook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durwood101 View Post
Jhook, I just checked out the link for the instructions......yeah, pool noodle would be a nice padding, thanks again. Gonna run to the Home Depot to grab this stuff. I have some more stuff to do on my kayak before I can head out and test her seaworthiness.
Yeah, my new baby is just sitting in the garage waiting for all the upgrades I'm going to do. I can't wait until I have time to do more than read about kayak fishing. Let us know how the project comes out.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:32 AM   #10
h2ofishfo

i did that same rack but added roller wheels from homedepot to the bottom so i could move it around the garage easier
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #11
robmandel

I know it's not flat and probably not the best for rigging, but here's what I built a little while back for my collection.

it has wheels on the bottom. I like storing them vertically like that.

robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote