Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2015, 04:58 PM   #1
RandyD
Junior

I am new to the sport of kayak fishing, and seeking advice

I am new to the sport of kayak fishing, and seeking any advice that you are willing to give. Another member started a similar thread asking for help, but I did not want to insert my questions on his thread, so I started this one. My fishing experience is mostly limited to fishing for trout as a kid, and that was usually with a borrowed rod and reel. I have very little to no experience in fishing.

Another member on this site, got me interested in joining this site and taking up kayak fishing. I have been reading posts on this site and others hoping to gain some knowledge. I live and work in La Jolla, and my work schedule can be hectic and it is filled with last minute emergencies, which would make me an unreliable fishing partner. I am mostly interested in pursuing the fishing off La Jolla and in Mission and San Diego Bays. Based on what I have read, I am most interested in learning how to fish for yellowtail and will add more game fish to the list as I progress in knowledge and skill.

So far, I have bought a well maintained and equipped PA and a FF from fellow members on this site. I am trying to decide what are the best rods and reels to purchase along with lines and tackle.

Based on what I have read, there are three main techniques for yellowtail fishing, live bait, yo-yo jigging and surface jigging. If there are other techniques that I left off the list, please let me know. I am interested in purchasing the better quality rods and reels so they last and provide better performance. I am interested in your recommendations and the reasons for your recommendations.

Thanks,

Randy
RandyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
AirborneYak

What kind rods and reel are you looking to get? Are you looking for gear specific for YT?
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:04 AM   #3
RandyD
Junior

Based on what I have read, I am inclined to buy Calstar or Seeker rods, and Shimano reels, and I am open to other makes that are of quality.

I have been given two reels, a Shimano Trinida 16 and a Shimano Calcutta 400b. I have also been given a Shimano Terez Wax Wing, 8'0", Medium power and extra fast action rod, rated for 20-50 lb of braided line.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

My advise would be to start off slow and work your way up. Learn to move around on your kayak, figure out what it can do. Learn self rescue, be prepared for emergency situations, learn the best way to move your PA around. Build your strength and endurance for pedaling. Figure out how to catch a fish from your kayak, fish for perch and bass in the bays, learn how to use your fishfinder. Then slowly but surely learn how to beach launch and land your PA. Then your ready to fish yellowtail.

If you cannot wait and need to catch one today...Just hire Josh and your dreams will be realized.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:26 AM   #5
RandyD
Junior

Thanks, but I have experience in kayaks. I have been kayaking for at least 20 years. I am a former Recon Marine, so launching and landing a small boat in heavy surf is not something new to me. I am seeking advice on which rod and reel to purchase.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
Thanks, but I have experience in kayaks. I have been kayaking for at least 20 years. I am a former Recon Marine, so launching and landing a small boat in heavy surf is not something new to me. I am seeking advice on which rod and reel to purchase.

Rod and reel right...there is no right rod and reel for everyone. There are so many different options available I'm sure you know that already. You should buy a rod that fits your personal style of fishing...Star drag or Lever drag..? Do you prefer to fish heavy medium or light, whatever you choose they should get the job done.

Reels, Avets are nice, they hold up to the saltwater very well and are reasonably priced, for yellowtail an MX or MXJ, LX should be good choices. The new shimano toriums in sizes of 16, 20 are excellent reels, or if you want to spend the big bucks the trinidads are even better....and plenty more..

Rods anything from BIG 5 rods to Calstar, Seeker, GLoomis, the shimano rods will get the job done as well.

I personally use a Calstar 800m with an Avet MXJ 6/4, Now is this the right setup for you??? Maybe...Maybe not. You might like a shorter rod...or maybe even a longer rod, Maybe a stiffer rod or a softer rod, Bigger reel or small reel...you'll have to find out.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #7
ccacher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post

I have an 8' Seeker rod and an 8' Ugly Stik rod (both medium and weighted very similar) ...I know Seeker is a much "better" rod but I don't think the fish know that. Point is if I'm buying a set up I'd rather spend more on a reel and less on a rod (granted not a piece of garbage). Would rather have a nice reel with a good drag system. Just my 2 cents though...