Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
sbyakfisher
Junior

Newbie needs help with calico fishing

I have been kayaking for many years and recently decided to try my hand at fishing from the yak. Joined the site and read up on Calico fishing. Ok, this looks easy, no problem.

Bought a license, pole, Shimano AX spinning reel and some 4-5 inch big hammer swim baits.

I have been out to the kelp beds off east Goleta Beach north of Santa Barbara about 5 times now, skunked every time. What's the deal! Any tips?
sbyakfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
MrM

It could be the presentation. Where are you on the kelp? In it? On the outside of it? Are you drifting? Slow Trolling? They might not like the color you're using, or the thickness/color of your line. What line are you using? Ar you fishing the top, mid, or bottom? There's a bunch of factors. I'm not familiar with that area, but if there are other yakers out there, ask what colors they like to use.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
DanaPT

try war baits (w/skirts) and scent. Don't be afraid to go heavier lead heads.

keep trying you will catch them.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
PE.rider

try using live bait... anchovies or sardines near the edge of the kelp beds will get you some love...
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
sbyakfisher
Junior

Thanks for the replies. I don't have the equipment for live bait. I have just been throwing plastics. I have tried inside, outside, and dropping right through the kelp. Different colors, and slow and quick retrieve. I even bought some " hot sauce" scent.

I went out again today, super clear water, saw a couple of dolphins but still no luck catching a fish. Oh well, it was a good day to be out on the water. I think I need to try another location. Maybe I will try haskels. Thanks again.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
BigSexyFritz
Junior

I actually fished up there a few weeks ago and its not that great of area in my opinion. The kelp is all really shallow and I didn't do any good either.
BigSexyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
crashcrow

I went to the same place today... 5:45 till about noon. First bass of the day was 14'' around 7am on a chartreuse grub with a lead head off the third footing from the shore. Moved over by the golf course around 9am and caught an 18'' Corvina. Caught a few more Bass off of #13 with a clear grub with red glitter. I had no luck with the big hammers today.

Mike
crashcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
crazyfishnfool
zuni818

The trick up there is before you leave your house prep a zip-lock bag w/ 2" to 4" x 3/4" wide squid strips and another zip-lock with the heads and tentacles cut them up in to tiny, tiny, pieces.(the tiny pieces is going to be your chum.) So look for a pocket just on the out side of the kelp grab a piece of kelp and tuck it under your foot to act as a anchor. It doesnt take alot of pieces of chum to get to get any bait fish in the areas attention. You know just 5-8 little pieces sprinkled around the edge of the kelp and you will see the kelp come alive. Calicos are territorial and aggressive once they see bait fish start going after the chum there going to want to eat even if there not hungry. Try 2 or 3 squid strips on your hook w/ a 3/4 egg slider and just drop it down along the edge of the kelp and hold on. if you hit bottom w/ nothing wait a few min. reel up slow and then try again. If nothing after 3-4 drops move on down the kelp and find another pocket. the key is to get the bait fish worked up. At least that whats been working for me. Good luck & Tight lines.
crazyfishnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
sbyakfisher
Junior

Ok guys thanks. I am going to try Haskells tomorrow if I can get off work early. Wish me luck!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
30lbbg2299

go onto youtube and watch some team basstic calico bass fishing videos. i know people think his voice is gay and stupid but the videos are actually really informational and man can he fish. There is a reason he has so many sponsors....
30lbbg2299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
SABA

Thanks 30lbbg2299 for the YouTube link. Just watched a few vids, He's pretty good at it. Does everthing I did when I was a kid fishin at Catalina back side. Cheers
SABA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
Amish Ed

Check out Calfishing.com. A lot of those guys are from the Santa Barbara area.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:21 AM   #13
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Get a 2in pvc bait tube you'll love it I take two with me.Got this bass on plastic the tube is on my deck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg La bay 100.jpg (55.1 KB, 92 views)