Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
PB fisher
feeesh

North County Spots

I just moved up to N County (La Costa) from PB and want to reach out to some fellow N county folks and see how the action is up here.
So far the only kelp I've seen is in Leucadia.
Any advice or hot spot info will be appreciated.
Also happy to go out on weekend mornings if anyone is interested.
Thanks!!
PB fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
joshg
Junior

I'm in Carlsbad and just started kayak fishing recently, and have only been going to oceanside harbor. I know there is some kelp off the power paints, cardiff reefs, and leaucadia kelp.. Also outside of Oceanside harbor about 1.4 miles there are some reefs that hold some fish.. I will be heading out on Saturday.. Not sure where yet.
joshg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
taggermike

I've yak fished all over north county and there are loads of spots to fish. There are kelp beds from Camp Pendleton all the way to Del Mar. Some of them are small, like the one off the Army Navy academy, and get ripped out now and then. Others are big like the Swamis to cardiff reef beds. The draw back of NC, if you can call it that, is there is no well protected launch areas like you have at LJ SHores. O-side harbor is the only place to launch where you will not have to deal with surf. And there are good spot in the harbor and north, south, and outside the harbor. You can also get a scoop of bait from the reciever on your way out. Any place else up there you will haveto deal with surf. Practice surf launches and landings and pick a day with less swell and its ok. Most of the beaches in NC are very popular and get super crouded in the summer. Sufers can ge a problemwhen you're settingup to lad but most are super cool. I've had good calico fishing all over NC. I've only caught YT out of O-side Harbor and out of Fletchers cove in Solona Beach. Sometimes bonito and cude get in therethickas well. There's loads of structure and kelp up there and seabass are alsways a posability. Those NC spots aredeffinately less crouded that LJ so just spend some time and explore, you'llfind some thing to catch. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
lbsurf2ca

NC

I fish north county quite a bit. I have found some good favorites and like already stated you have to really wait for the smaller days to fish up here. Being a surfer you have a good advantage knowing when to go and not go. If you are ever up for weekend trips let me know and i'll paddle out with you and show you my favorites.
lbsurf2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
tight lines

Heading out Sunday 24th Am ,if any of you are interested.
tight lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Any place else up there you will haveto deal with surf. Practice surf launches and landings and pick a day with less swell and its ok.
Ha! Stow your chit, plan to get wet, and remember, As Cabo John once said, hesitation leads to devastation. That's just going out.

Quote:
Most of the beaches in NC are very popular and get super crouded in the summer. Sufers can ge a problemwhen you're settingup to lad but most are super cool.
Ha again...but I'm unsure what he said , I have found 'surfers' are not the problem, turistas are...aka kooks. True locals want to see you land and will encourage you to charge it...they are funny like that. I came in one time on a bigger set, told some 'guy with a longboard' to move, he didn't, and got tagged...met at the landing with high-fives. Managed to land dry even after watching his board go straight up, to the head, down he went.

Quote:
I've only caught YT out of O-side Harbor and out of Fletchers cove in Solona Beach. Sometimes bonito and cude get in therethickas well. There's loads of structure and kelp up there and seabass are alsways a posability.
Ha, ha, yet again...hey taggermike, you get all excited when you replied?

Cuz it sseams youhavegot to postqueek less urine thoughtsget lossed...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
PB fisher
feeesh

Thanks for the info!
I'll email you guys in a few weeks when I get settled- yak is still in PB.
PB fisher is offline   Reply With Quote