Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
viti
Junior

saddles for Trident 13

I recently bought a new trident 13. The kayak's great on the water, but I found out the hard way that it doesn't ride well on the Thule stacker I had bought (for sale now, btw). The straps must be cinched too tight to keep it from wiggling around, and this dented the hull (popped out though, luckily!).

I searched around a bit on the internet to see if anyone recommended a certain type of paddle or saddle for the Trident 13 and didn't really find any convincing recommendations, but did note a few which were not recommended because they also dented the hull.

So, anyone out there know from personal experience which brand and make of saddles/paddles works well with a Trident 13? Though I have Thule bars on my car I am thinking about getting a Yakima trailer, so Yakima-compatible is a plus.

Thanks for reading, I will appreciate any suggestions.

Matt
viti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
yotasan

Viti,

Why don't you just throw some pads on your rack and flip the kayak over. I have the ultra 4.3, what do you transport your yak with? whenever I strap down my yak I only pull down hand tight as to not dent in the hull. strapped upside down on my rack (yakima with round bars) hand tight, it's not going anywhere..
Old 10-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
MrM

I have a 13. I hated my J racks. Now I just flip it over and cushion the racks with padding from OEX. Works like a charm. Only 25 or 30 bucks for the cushion, too.

Trailers are nice but expensive. Check out the Malone trailers.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
viti
Junior

Thanks for the replays. I live in Fresno, so any trips to the coast involve long drives at freeway speeds and mountain passes which can be quite windy. A cradle or saddle seems more secure than just lashing to the racks, but this thought could just be betraying my ignorance?

I didn't mention that I would often be carrying two kayaks (trident 13 plus my wife's Necky 13). That's why I was using a stacker. Otherwise I can't fit two kayaks on the narrow rack of my small car. My wife has a bigger but newer car but is not keen on having saltwater and sand on the roof and also doesn't have a rack anyway. The Yakima trailer is expensive, but the light weight and compact size would be better for us for several reasons (storage, towing weight, use as a launch site cart, etc.).

Matt
Old 10-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
SABA

Viti

I use Yakima round bar racks with a set of rollers in the back and saddles in front. I also carry a Malibu X factor, Stealth 14, Trident 13 (Brand new) and my oldest is a Necky 16 touring Yak. Have no problems carrying them on my car or truck at 80 to 85 MPH for hours. I stop get Gas and check the straps and some times snug them down. I recommend the Yakima system with no problems Cheers SABA
SABA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viti View Post
Thanks for the replays. I live in Fresno, so any trips to the coast involve long drives at freeway speeds and mountain passes which can be quite windy. A cradle or saddle seems more secure than just lashing to the racks, but this thought could just be betraying my ignorance?
I drove from Westminster to Lake Powell and back, occasionally hitting 80mph with cross winds and had no issues with just using padding on my cross bars. Just make sure you tie down the front and rear in addition if you do so.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:39 AM   #7
viti
Junior

Thanks MrM. I will try padded bars on a short lake trip to see how it goes.

SABA, do you remember which type of saddle you have up front?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
SABA

Viti I have three sets of MAKO's #04037 See link

http://yakima.com/shop/baserack-only...category=water

The rollers are Hully rollers #04035 on the rear bar

http://yakima.com/shop/water/roof/hullyrollers-1pair

Also have a showboat #04040 for my shelled Toyota truck

http://yakima.com/shop/water/load-assist/showboat

Hope that works for you. if not send me a PM of your email and I will take pics of my set up. To send to you Cheers
SABA is offline   Reply With Quote