Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
nitsuj
Junior

Ventura area hooping?

I realize most everyone here is a bit further south but throwing the Q out there anyways

One of my buddies is getting married in Ventura next Sunday and I'm planning on roadtripping so I can bring a surfboard and the yak. As I've never hooped for lobster before seems like a good time with some nice benefits, was curious if anyone has recommendations for any locations in the Ventura area? Been using the Googles quite a bit and not finding a ton of info as of yet. Don't want to roll too far south (otherwise would just head to north county area and surf sanO/swamis all day and bug at night) as I don't have as much time as I'd like to spend in the area again. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendations.
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
SABA

NITSUJ
For surfing you should try California street (locals call it C street) its not far from down town or Emma Wood. Rincon north county line is good to. Between the last too surf spots you can hoop for BUGS.
For Hooping call Ericks Tackel in Ventura for help. Or try Oxnard/ Channel Islands Harbor break water. Park by the Coast Gaurd Station on Victoria st. My budy nailed 12 Spider crabs in a one trap 45 min, soak.

Cheers Saba
SABA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
nitsuj
Junior

Saba, thanks for the post. Have surfed and camped in the area quite a bit when I lived in CA but never had a kayak so hooping the area will definitely be new to me. Will take a look at some NOAA charts between Emma and Rincon and see if I see anything that looks interesting.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
SABA

You can try ARCO island (man made island with the pier) off SEA CLIFF.
I have a book at home that gives all the info you are looking for. But can't remember the name of it. I will post it later for you.
Also hear that a few thrasher sharks have been spotted real close to shore. right were you want to go out.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
nitsuj
Junior

Was wondering about that island (couldn't remember the name) as that seems like there's a bit of structure there.

Hooking into a T-shark would be fun but way above what I'd want to handle solo - the 20lb chinook I caught a few weeks back was interesting enough (tho that was mostly due to only having a trout sized net on me)
Old 09-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
SABA

The Book you want is
Wrecks and Reefs: Shipwrecks and Artificial Reefs of Southern California for Fishermen and Divers

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wrec...=9780975352403

Cheers Saba
Old 09-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
nitsuj
Junior

Thanks! Will see if I can find it online before I head out. Combined with that and looking for rocky/kelp areas here http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18725.shtml and hopefully a little local help from the tackle shop will hopefully get at least one legal bug!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
SABA

A book for So Cal Fisherman and Divers

A book for So Cal Fisherman and Divers This Book has GPS, latitude longlongitude for Rock piles and sunken ships.

It has helped me It may help you!! Saba

Wrecks and Reefs: Shipwrecks and Artificial Reefs of Southern California for Fishermen and Divers

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wrec...=9780975352403
Old 09-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
Saba Slayer

Fishing Spot Locator

Jeff also has another book that's full of info, I think its called the "Anglers Guide to Fishing Southern California".
A few other books to ponder..."Two to Twenty Fathoms" by Captain Mark Wisch, and another book by him, for those who like fishing Catalina, is "In the Gray". "Two to Twenty Fathoms" covers the PV to Newport area.
Captain Frank Grabbenstater's "Fishing Spot Locator" covers from Santa Barbara to the Mexican border His hand drawn images of the artificial reefs is unlike any other. Along with the drawings, he gives so much more info about each reef...
date built...depth...compass bearing from the nearest marina ...what material it was constructed of...and GPS numbers. It's my favorite book for the skiff and the yak.
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
SABA

Thanks Jim I will order them later today. I had all my Grandfathers charts that had all that info at my parents home. Now there gone