Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
steveooo

The average moyer report...

Sorry a little bit late.
My version of the Moyer Tourney.
Stayed two nights at Campland on the Bay. Not my favorite style of camping, but it serves its purpose for this tourney.

Killed some time in the bay. Caught 1 spotty on the blade, bay fishing blows.

Friday night we stayed up til about 1:30am sight fishing for rays in 1 feet of water. Stupid decision, as we were getting up at 4 am Saturday. Pretty fun though. Cool rays, not sure of a positive I.D. though, my guess is Butterfly Ray.

Got there Saturday morning, checked in and launched at 5:35. Paddled over to get my 3 free pieces of bait and headed out, after I watched my buddy swim his kayak through the “surf” after being pounded.

From there, I think my story is pretty typical. Not everyone can be a Tourney winner. Tough making bait, but still was able to catch a few fish.

This was odd. While trying to make bait, I picked up 3 sibling rockfish in 59 feet of water. Two swam away, 1 got eaten by a gull.

1 of my 2 greenbacks ended up looking like this

Ouch. Any guesses?

Caught two new species. Although $800 for biggest fish is cool, I always like catching new species.
1st = Crab

Juvi Spider Crab?

2nd New Species = Octopus in 100’
Somehow I’ve avoided these guys too. I put him on a 5/0 and sent him back down as bait with no luck.

Here are some other fish on the mega bait. Unfortunately, no tourney winners either.
I think I’ve caught this guy probably 10 times near the bull kelp. Species?

Starry

4 Mini Hali’s

Overall, a great tourney for a great cause. Grub was EXCELLENT! Didn’t score in the raffle this year (I hate Matt), but I think next year is mine.

Thanks again to Moyer, Jim, and all who put this on. It has become one of the events that I look forward to each year now.

See you all OTW

Steve
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:19 AM   #2
Matt
Support your local pangas

Steveoooo it was good seeing you out there and not catching any bait with you! Oh yeah and thanks to your lovely daughter and wife I may have to get another puppy!!! hahaha
Old 09-16-2009, 06:19 AM   #3
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Cool pics!

Quote:
I think I’ve caught this guy probably 10 times near the bull kelp. Species?
Sebastes Chrysomelas ????
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
sterling

The mini halibut is a Sand dab.

The raked Mackerel is most likely the work of a Bonita. Could be a cuda, however with Bonita being caught and the fact the rake marks aren't slash like. I'd go with Bonita.
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:35 AM   #5
steveooo

Great seeing you too Matt. You wife is very fortunate that she doesn't look like Tyler. Sorry if i blew your cover with the whole puppy thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Steveoooo it was good seeing you out there and not catching any bait with you! Oh yeah and thanks to your lovely daughter and wife I may have to get another puppy!!! hahaha
Old 09-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #6
steveooo

Thanks Sterling, I actually knew the sand dab, but i'm a horrible

Bonie was my guess for the slash marks, but I also think it was a 70 lb wsb.

I think chris got my rock fish. I never know what those things are. It is pretty funny though, that without fail i can go to a little spot near the bull kelp and always pull one of those up with 1 or 2 drops of the mega bait.

I'm pretty sure the crab is a kelp crab.

Either way, this only re-enforces to me how important this next MLPA meeting really is. La Jolla, Dana, Malibu are such diverse fisheries, that each one of us loves for different reasons. I love ocean fishing because you never know what could end up on your line. To think that without us fighting for them, our best areas could be gone with a few swipes of a pen, makes me sick to my stomach.

See you guys all there in October

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling View Post
The mini halibut is a Sand dab.

The raked Mackerel is most likely the work of a Bonita. Could be a cuda, however with Bonita being caught and the fact the rake marks aren't slash like. I'd go with Bonita.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
Sherm

Nice report. Looks like you had a great time no matter the outcome. All for a good cause. Hopefully there will be another Moyer Tourney next year.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #8
Dan

nice report Steve. Is that your camper? As soon as I had kids I bought one to keep the camping going.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
Geoffkoop

Nice report! Last time I was out at LJ I picked up sibling rock fish just like that on my sabiki.
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
joyjiggin'

Oh, those baby rock fish are sooo cute! I couldn't catch anything but hordes of ugly lizardfish, yuk!!
joyjiggin' is offline   Reply With Quote