Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

Tuesday report 3/12

Headed out before sunrise hoping for good luck and a beautiful day of sunshine. Nope!

Started very foggy. Seriously, even with a GPS / compass, very hard to tell where I was. Met two other guys and eventually we found the yellow buoy. My pedal broke in the first ten feet, so all paddle for me.

Anyway, lots of fog, and then a very wicked current. Before we knew it, my friend and I were WAY past where we intended to go. It took a lot of work to paddle back.

Also, tons of fin bait. Mackerel everywhere. And little fish jumping all around. A few calicos were caught, but we didn't see any YT or WSB.

So, not sunny, until afternoon, pretty cool wind, I got pretty cold, a strong current and no fish. I posted this so everyone stuck at work would not regret not getting out on the water today!

But always nice to get out there... plenty of dolphins and very tiny waves. Would have been smarter to just sit on the beach and watch pretty girls.

Cheers all! We're still cooking frozen YT and Rockfish tonight.
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
lamb

Nice try Mr. Quinn!

It's a good thing we got rippin' downhill and tons of bait... Sux about not finding much love out there.

I'll fill in the PM report. 5ish it was clear, but you could see a thick fog bank out on the horizon. The current died around 6, and the fog moved in. About 50 yards visibility, if that. Lots of moisture in the air. Eary, even on a boat. The current started running again around 9pm. These mega macks have cleaned up the squirts it seems. We just bailed, and left the thick fog out there. No fish.

But how do you get to anything in life without trying?

Be safe out there
Old 03-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
yaker81
Banned

I was out there today also. I had the same situation. Ended up way to far south than I expected. That paddle back sucked to say the least. Took me almost 2 hours to paddle back to shore.
yaker81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #4
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaquinn View Post
Headed out before sunrise hoping for good luck and a beautiful day of sunshine. Nope!

Started very foggy. Seriously, even with a GPS / compass, very hard to tell where I was. Met two other guys and eventually we found the yellow buoy. My pedal broke in the first ten feet, so all paddle for me.

Anyway, lots of fog, and then a very wicked current. Before we knew it, my friend and I were WAY past where we intended to go. It took a lot of work to paddle back.

Also, tons of fin bait. Mackerel everywhere. And little fish jumping all around. A few calicos were caught, but we didn't see any YT or WSB.

So, not sunny, until afternoon, pretty cool wind, I got pretty cold, a strong current and no fish. I posted this so everyone stuck at work would not regret not getting out on the water today!

But always nice to get out there... plenty of dolphins and very tiny waves. Would have been smarter to just sit on the beach and watch pretty girls.

Cheers all! We're still cooking frozen YT and Rockfish tonight.
at least you got out on the water! And not a skunk either...

What happened to your Mirage drive? I'm picking up my Hobie next week, and just wondering what to expect?

I'm sure you'll get them next time!
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
Cbad Mike

Macks, Macks, and more Macks. Between the current and wind it was a long day. I was the last kayak out and STUPIDLY got caught in the fog. Heading out in the morning is kinda weird in the fog but heading in last night with in the fog was a little scary as it was getting dark too.
Glad to see ya made it Cliff.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
I like Mike's younger avitar w/o checked jacket...get a fish picture and you will be styling...
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
ctfphoto

Ya Cliff it was an interesting day.

Expecting hot and sunny weather and getting foggy cold and windy weather.

Thick soupy fog and I had Just got a new FF installed and was checking it out (the sonar) after the launch and NOT following the nav part. Before I knew it I was waaay off course next to some big white house, ooops.

Turn on the nav part and head NW and bingo, yellow pole

Found cliff before long and we fished in the extremely strong current. Lost him and found myself waay out to sea.

Coming in I was in 25 foot water close to shore fishing a large live mac and I got slammed but didn't hook it. Brought it up and no teeth marks, hmmm.

Sent down the now dead mac and I got slammed and lost it again. Any ideas of what hit it? No teeth marks. Didn't see any seals or dolphins around.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
RobFish
Massive Member

Yesterday sucked, besides seeing some friends and being on the water.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
Sully1

I had a similar day on the water yesterday, fog, no squid, and no meter marks. Having the GPS is a must in those conditions.