Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

4/30 LJ report...... slow and cold....

Just got back from a 6:00 - 12:15 trip to La Jolla. Tiny waves and high hopes. There was nobody in sight for about an hour, then a few guys came out.

Plenty of fin bait, but 90% mossbacks. The wind picked up, and it got pretty chilly. I trolled a mac, and tried dropper-loop fresh-frozen squid in 70-85 feet, but absolutely nothing. At least the many seals left me alone. Funny how many are starving, but they have left my macs alone for a few trips. Maybe that's why they are starvin?

Two guys were out in a tandem, and one for the very first time, and wow.... a whale popped up maybe 25' from them. It was very close! Surfaced twice, and we never saw it again.

Always fun, with dolphins, a whale, but no love from anything other than macs.

Also, when getting bait near the kelp, three or four times I pulled up 3 or 4 little blue perch on my sabiki. That has never happened to me before, pretty cool. Then one time, two little orange fish, but not lizard fish.

Anyway, nice to be out, nice to be back, and if you didn't make it today you didn't miss anything. Ain't that nice to know?

Oh yes, when I paddled out, maybe a mile away, way past Scripps Pier, there were birds diving. And on the way back, still diving. I just didn't have it in me to chase the birds for a mile, solo, against the wind, etc..... wondering what they were on though.

Cheers all! Hope to have a more positive post next time. Tony Reyes trip in July!! Time for a nap!
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
ctfphoto

Always good to be on the water and most the day I was wishing that I had joined you this AM.

The whale sounds cool, I like seeing them out there.

I really want to go to La Jolla in the next few days but I just may go after a flatty in the bay instead. I may go on Wednesday unless you want to go Friday early...
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
gary sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaquinn View Post

Oh yes, when I paddled out, maybe a mile away, way past Scripps Pier, there were birds diving. And on the way back, still diving. I just didn't have it in me to chase the birds for a mile, solo, against the wind, etc..... wondering what they were on though.
Yesterday around noontime the dolphins were thrashing around schools of krill. Diving birds drew me over to that area for a look.
gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Lipripper92592

It was nice out today, I had the same luck but better to be on the water than behind the desk today.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote