Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 01-04-2021, 08:29 AM   #1
FullFlavorPike

first cast 2021

Made it out to Mission Bay on saturday evening to fish the basin around hidden anchorage. Hooked up a nice spotty on the first cast of the year! Then got no other bites for 90 minutes before bringing in a v short spotty. Tide was SUPER low, so maybe that slowed the bite down. Both fish hit the green 1/8 oz Hookup bait on the ultralight spinning setup.

It was so cold out there as the sun set.

Took a few test throws with my new surface iron stick (unknown graphite blank, custom wrapped by i don't know who but I'm going to try to figure it out over on BD) and wow, it throws a 7x a long way, even for a heavy thumbed goober like me. Looking forward to the day I have a chance to use it for real.

Was the first test ride for the Malibu Express. Although I'm pleased with how stable the boat is, and even more pleased by how FAST it is, I'm bummed it took on a lot of water. If I can't rectify that situation, I don't think it will be the offshore racer I had hoped for come summer time. That's too bad, because great googly moogly is that boat fast with just moderate paddling effort.

Anyways, getting a fish on the first cast of the year made for a great start to 2021.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote