Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2021, 01:34 PM   #1
AlwaysFishing

Thanks Tim. I will definitely ping you in the near future. I can't wait to take it out and do some real fishing. Where have you launched so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
Congrats.

I am located in Long Beach as well. Let me know if you what to ride out together. Looking forward to fishing the mussel farm this summer.
AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:51 AM   #2
tak100
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing View Post
Thanks Tim. I will definitely ping you in the near future. I can't wait to take it out and do some real fishing. Where have you launched so far?
Los Alamitos, Dana Point and Cabrillo so far.

It would be legal to launch out of Huntington Harbor and head out to the oil rigs or mussel farm with the motorized vessels so I hope to do that in the future.

San Diego would be a blast as well.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 04:16 PM   #3
AlwaysFishing

Are you using the boat ramp in Cabrillo or are you beach launching? I am looking to launch in Newport and Redondo as well. I guess the only way to launch in Redondo is to use the hoist. Newport boat ramp is so far from the harbor opening that it's going to take forever to get out to open water.

Quote:
Los Alamitos, Dana Point and Cabrillo so far.

It would be legal to launch out of Huntington Harbor and head out to the oil rigs or mussel farm with the motorized vessels so I hope to do that in the future.

San Diego would be a blast as well.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:45 PM   #4
FISH11

SOLO SKIFF in really rough water

I decided to make a new unedited version of a video I recorded in Oct. 2020. The previous version was edited using GoPro Quick and was not good because that software has one pick highlights and then it edits each according to the music that is added. That is a Horrible method and does not get a good result, no matter how many different songs you pick to change the editing. This was filmed while holding the GoPro in my right hand, so I am not holding on and slowed the speed down to 4-6 mph so as not to get thrown off. The Solo Skiff could go much faster, but it becomes a wetter ride in those conditions and I was just wearing my board shorts and hoodie sweatshirt, as usual. Hope this give you guys a better look at how the Solo Skiff can handle the rough water. Other utube videos I watched that said rough water, where nowhere close to these conditions. It proved to me that the Solo Skiff is incredibly stable and all you need is to hold on and steer into the oncoming waves. That was an incredible 3 mile ride back to the La Jolla Cove point where the weather improved and ended becoming a nice day on the water. Warning, the video has some descriptive profanity, so if you are offended just turn down the volume.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:21 AM   #5
AlwaysFishing

Now that is rough but you made it look so easy. With my experience, I'd would be going at idle speed all the way in.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:26 AM   #6
AlwaysFishing

Bed Extender

What does everyone do with their bed extender once launched? Do you take it apart and put it in the cab or do you leave it out? Has anyone gotten their stolen?
Old 02-17-2021, 06:44 AM   #7
FISH11

I take my Boonedox Groovy t-bone bed extender apart (just one lock pin) as put both sections along with my self made ramp pipes in the back seat area of my Ram truck. They stay safe and out of sight there.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:42 AM   #8
tak100
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing View Post
Are you using the boat ramp in Cabrillo or are you beach launching? I am looking to launch in Newport and Redondo as well. I guess the only way to launch in Redondo is to use the hoist. Newport boat ramp is so far from the harbor opening that it's going to take forever to get out to open water.
With my outback I launched from the beach. With the Solo I go from the boat ramp. It is a 15 ride and I get a chance to open up the throttle and have some fun.

Went yesterday 02/19/21. Fished all day from Point Fermen to White's point for mostly nada. I was mostly looking for whales. Back in the harbor on the way home and birds are crashing all over, double hookups of larger macks and right in the middle a young grey whale. Great sunset too. Can't beat So Cal weather.

All of this in a stiff wind which would have made it impossible in my outback.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:57 AM   #9
FISH11

Quote:
With the Solo I go from the boat ramp. It is a 15 ride and I get a chance to open up the throttle and have some fun.

Went yesterday 02/19/21. . Great sunset too. Can't beat So Cal weather.

These highlights to your post, are some of the highlight of why the SOLO SKIFF is INSANE FUN!
Old 02-20-2021, 09:03 AM   #10
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
These highlights to your post, are some of the highlight of why the SOLO SKIFF is INSANE FUN!
I am soo tempted to tell you guys to stop posting on this thread because I am going effing crazy not being able to get one of these that I have had on order for almost 5 months now.

Just kidding as I can hardly wait as it looks soo much fun. I now want to order another so my family will have 2 of these.

At least it is cold now and the fishing is slow.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:23 AM   #11
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
I am soo tempted to tell you guys to stop posting on this thread because I am going effing crazy not being able to get one of these that I have had on order for almost 5 months now.

Just kidding as I can hardly wait as it looks soo much fun. I now want to order another so my family will have 2 of these.

At least it is cold now and the fishing is slow.
SORRY CHRIS! We can't help ourselves. If you could see the smiles on our faces when opening up the throttle and while buzzing the open water, there are porpoises jumping around the bow. Just another of the fun things on a SOLO SKIFF.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:50 AM   #12
AlwaysFishing

Thanks Tim.

Quote:
With my outback I launched from the beach. With the Solo I go from the boat ramp. It is a 15 ride and I get a chance to open up the throttle and have some fun.

Went yesterday 02/19/21. Fished all day from Point Fermen to White's point for mostly nada. I was mostly looking for whales. Back in the harbor on the way home and birds are crashing all over, double hookups of larger macks and right in the middle a young grey whale. Great sunset too. Can't beat So Cal weather.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:46 PM   #13
NICKWORN

Rockfish Opener

Had a blast on Monday with 5 Skiffs present at LJ for the Rockfish Opener. It was slow, bait was small and the rockfish bite shutoff as fast as it came on. I managed 6, a good red in the mix.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:51 PM   #14
FISH11

I was so pleasantly surprised when I arrived at La Jolla Shores to launch my Solo Skiff on Monday 3-1-2021 and there where 4 other Solo Skiffs at the launch. Since I don't do facebook, I had no idea that Nick and others had planned to launch that day. Mondays is one of my favorite days to hit La Jolla anyways so it was great having a group of us 5 SOLO SKIFFS running around chasing bait and looking for Rock Fish and Yellowtail. These are some section of videos I recorded that day, unfortunately the fishing was a little slow but the weather turned out to be perfect. There's nothing like a nice weather day on the La Jolla water to chill out.