Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
The pelican

Etiquette

Hi guys - I've been kayak fishing for a few years but still feel like a bit of a novice out there when it comes to fishing etiquette. Reading this board is super helpful but I don't think there have been any recent posts on keeping a proper distance from other kayaks and PBs. Yesterday, I'm pulling a fly line behind my yak, minding my own business, and a power boat runs right over it. Normally if it's a pack of guys on rented waverunners, I chalk it up to ignorance and don't worry about it. This guy came up behind me and drove right over the line between me and my bait. I motioned to him and yelled that he was about to cut me off and he didn't even react. Definately looked like a local guy - not a "googin".

Some guys will damn near run you over without thinking about it. Some guys will yell at you if you get withing 100 yards of their spot.

Yesterday got me thinking - How close is too close? How far is overkill? Do you guys have a general rule of thumb? Normally, I'd err on the side of overkill. If I see someone trolling a mack, I try to steer clear. If I see someone cathcing bait on a sabiki and I'm bait fishing too, I'll come a little closer.

Are there good general rules for proper distance from other boats and yaks? General rules for right of way or navigating around boats that are coming your way. I'm not going to keep peddling toward a speeding power boat, but sometimes it seems rediculous to make a 90 degree turn and peddle for 5 mnutes to avoid some guy with an engine who doesnt have a bait in the water.

No luck cathcing YT yesterday but I did have one very nervous greenback get thumped, and then come in with a crushed head and body.

Side note, my buddy used white braid for the first time and robbed by dogs three times. Someone was asking about it earlier. We were fishing together and I was using moss green power pro and didn't lose any to dogs. I'm not sure if the line color made a difference. Let's call it superior skill
The pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
DanaPT

like wikipedia...

ask you you shall receive. . . on this site it's all been done before.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...=power+boaters
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
jorluivil

this might help

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The pelican View Post

Are there good general rules for proper distance from other boats and yaks?
When there's a squid bite...all bets are off. I remember this googin looking dude in a beauty of a black yacht screaming through everyone's setups right at dusk. You could only imagine the yelling and language chasing after him. It was a monster beauty of a boat that started bee lining towards me. I'm like WTF!? Turns out to be Neil and his buddy and they plow to a stop right on top of me, Neil flips me a beer then takes off to the other side of the set leaving me with all the pissed off boaters. Can you imagine what all the a-holes were saying to me until everything went dark??? ...and then there was the time about 8 of us yakkers kept drifting within 5' of a boat as EVERYONE nailed solid butts. The boater ended up with 8 quality and we got 10. We were all good working it hard together in unison. It's a def a mixed crowd out there Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
momo fish

Etiquette

Seems the problem could be worst in San Diego due to number of boaters and kayakers especially during a good bite and weather. That being said I have had one issue last year and debated why it happened as it could of been my fault as I was trolling way back.

Was thinking of attaching balloons or some marker so others are aware of my line in the water. As for space anything besides trolling I stay away about 30 to 50 feet. Most guys have enough respect not to drift to close.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
RobFish
Massive Member

That shirt is funny as hell.
I do agree that with squid, and a solid bite, all bets are off.
I always go with, how far can you throw an iron? 80 yards? 100?
I've also learned that beer smoothes things out and heals wounds.
That's why my PA looks like I'm sinking early in the day.

Really, it's an awareness and respect thing.
If you feel you/someone is too close, you/they probably are.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

Only been encroached by one boat, the sum fun in Dana point. Within 30 yards of me chasing dolphin that were swimming under my boat. 15+ knots. Wakes that nearly capsized my kayak. Was considering looking for the captain on the docks and giving him a piece/couple choice words, but decided against it. Until next time (sum fun).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:34 AM   #8
Fishin' Magician

A couple of months ago I almost got swamped while tight to a nice bass in San Diego Bay. He came right at me. Other people in the boat where pointing to me and talking to the guy running the boat. I kept trying to wave them off as I had a bent rod, but they kept on coming. They got to within maybe 10 yards before verring off, creating a huge wake and almost bouncing me out of my yak. The guy running th boat had a pack load of women on board and they were all laughing. I nearly called the harbot patrol to report the guy, but thought better of it. No harm done and I did land the fish, a nice legal sized spottie.

Some poeple either just don't know or don't care about the dangers they pose to others by their actions. Fortunately I was wearing my PFD so had things gone reallyt wrong, I might have still been okay, but what if I hadn't had it on?

From now on, I'm wearing the brightest colors I can find!
Old 06-03-2014, 06:31 AM   #9
driftwood

I see a lot newbies trolling two lines in the water behind them... big mistake.

When you approach a kayaker too close with two lines it becomes a huge MESS!!

Trust me, DON"T troll with two lines that has the potential of becoming a disaster and it could prove dangerous.

I have seen guys hook up Yellowtail with two trolling lines on the water and
it becomes comical to watch.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #10
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Only been encroached by one boat, the sum fun in Dana point. Within 30 yards of me chasing dolphin that were swimming under my boat. 15+ knots. Wakes that nearly capsized my kayak. Was considering looking for the captain on the docks and giving him a piece/couple choice words, but decided against it. Until next time (sum fun).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same boat that came within the same distance going the same speed at us this weekend.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #11
kauaiboy04

i've had multiple boats AND yakkers run over my trolling lines. it isn't only pb'ers. this one guy in a kayak, literally kept following me and crossing my path as I kept going straight. wtf?!

http://socalkayak.blogspot.com
kauaiboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #12
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
When there's a squid bite...all bets are off. I remember this googin looking dude in a beauty of a black yacht screaming through everyone's setups right at dusk. You could only imagine the yelling and language chasing after him. It was a monster beauty of a boat that started bee lining towards me. I'm like WTF!? Turns out to be Neil and his buddy and they plow to a stop right on top of me, Neil flips me a beer then takes off to the other side of the set leaving me with all the pissed off boaters. Can you imagine what all the a-holes were saying to me until everything went dark??? ...and then there was the time about 8 of us yakkers kept drifting within 5' of a boat as EVERYONE nailed solid butts. The boater ended up with 8 quality and we got 10. We were all good working it hard together in unison. It's a def a mixed crowd out there Jim
Not only a Squid bite, but a smaller Squid bed is gonna change the dynamics. If anyone is camped out (fishing) on a small squid bed, they can't expect to get casting distance room all around them. I have seen Squid beds at LJ many times that you could easily cast across. In those situations, feel free to get in chatting distance with me. But if you are gonna fish the spot too, be ready to get your lines (1 fishing and 1 bait only) out of the way if I hook up.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #13
skrilla

On the flip side... how about the kayakers who have troll lines out 150 yards.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #14
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Not only a Squid bite, but a smaller Squid bed is gonna change the dynamics. If anyone is camped out (fishing) on a small squid bed, they can't expect to get casting distance room all around them. I have seen Squid beds at LJ many times that you could easily cast across. In those situations, feel free to get in chatting distance with me. But if you are gonna fish the spot too, be ready to get your lines (1 fishing and 1 bait only) out of the way if I hook up.
Hot dayum, I'll take that as an open invite from Mr. Greg Andrew. Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote