Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
The pelican

Advanced Techniques

Hi everyone - I'm curious to hear your opinions and strategies for dealing with some special situations that arise when trying to land fish. First, what's the best way to rescue a fish that's been picked up by a sea lion? How agressive can you be with regards to getting close to the sea lion? Is it better to play them tight or give them a little room and let them think they were successful and relax to eat the fish before trying you make your move?

Second, what are some tips for cutting kelp to free a fish on the line? I'm using 65lb power pro and can saw through most of the time but wondered what works best for those really difficult situations. Is there a trick with the angle? If so, do you go up current to get a better angle on the kelp stringers? Do you loosen your drag to let the fish do the work of sawing through the stringers?

Any advice would be super helpful.
The pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

for the dogs a paintball gun does the trick.as far as getting hung up in the kelp it depends if Im deep into it, if so i usually point the rod tip up, drop it in free spool and allow the fish some slack and they usually try to run and that results in the line being freed enough that you can drop the tip below the surface and crank him in. if its not too far in I reach for the sky and cranking it in works good for me.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
StinkyMatt

So you want to fight a sea lion in the ocean to get a fish back from it?

Please, please run the GoPro when you do this.

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Deamon

I've had some luck with this...but not always. Especially works when kelp beds are not a close enough option for the fish to run into. When I'm hooked up on a yellow and spot the dog going anywhere near my fish, I immediately free spool and allow the fish to take off on a controlled run. Always keep your line fairly tight so the hook doesn't dislodge due to slack line. You've go to manage your available line capacity but I'm not talking about allowing your fish to spool you. Just enough to get them away from the dog's attention. The seal usually doesn't hangout for very long. This isn't an option for a place like middle grounds where dogs are everywhere...hope this helps. Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Might contact Jorge, his skunk off WORKS! Heard he also working on a companion product, "Dog be gone".

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
The pelican

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not so sure where I'd keep the paintball gun on the kayak or how I'd shoot it while fighting the fish. Also, stinky Matt, yes I try to fight a dog for my YT. Why is that so funny? I spent over an hour on Saturday going back and forth with one in LJ. Eventually the leader broke but I had some good opportunities. Jim, good advice on not letting the dog get your fish in the first place. I'll consider that next time I'm out and a dog takes interest in my prize. No kelp popping techniques anyone cares to share???
The pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
StinkyMatt

By all means try to save your fish. I just think there might be some funny moments and possibly a lot of cursing. Run the tape.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
jorluivil

I'm ordering a small bucket of popcorn for now.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
momo fish

why is everyone so sensitive to peoples jokes? Its a joke and I for one like a little sarcastic humor... Very funny matt...

I'm tired of popcorn these days with drama over minor things... And yes please roll the gopro cause I for one need more funny videos to watch on youtube
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #10
Chuck D

Please no humor, I want facts only, this is serious for real, sea lions are the real deal man, the REAL DEAL!!!!!
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
AirborneYak

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
So you want to fight a sea lion in the ocean to get a fish back from it?

Please, please run the GoPro when you do this.

LOL I second this!
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #12
taggermike

Thankfully I've been pillaged by dogs while yak fishing only 3 times. I've successfully retrieved the fish once. My technique on yaks, and skiffs, is to pull hard while chasing the dog down. I try to be right over his head each time he surfaces for air. Hopefully he'll get gassed and give up. Works better from the skiff. Keep in mind you're trying to take food away from a big, powerful, fast, and protected predator on his own turf. If he wants it he'll get it.
I've only sawed fish out of thick kelp a handful of times but I have had success with slow sawing pumps of the rod. This seams to move the braid across the kelp. Last year I had a big YT down deep in thick kelp. after sawing away for 10 minute or so whole kelp plants began to float up all around my kayak. I guess it worked.Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote