Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #41
Pocoloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
Hunting season cant use a kayak for that....... I think I may need to borrow Jeorges SKUNK OFF SPRAY.... Stupid deer, pigs, quail,

Too bad you cant eat ground squirrels cuz I knocked the beejesus out of those....400+ with a 17HMR..

I need to go hooping now....so I can post shorts.. they way my season is going...
ITS DUCK SEASON. I hunt ducks outa my yak. Sorry no pics or gps numbers
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #42
lamb

More good stuff...

It is good that this is being discussed, in a healthy and respectful way, so we all can better understand each other's perspective. You will NOT feel the same about public fishing forum if you're out there OTW (on-the-water, for those of you who wonder ) a couple of times a week, once a month, or once in a blue moon... Fishing guide, hard core or recreational angler, or a guy who is fishing for living WILL NOT have the same feeling on this subject...

But you have to realize that public forum is still a great place to learn, great place to share your experience, and learn from other people's feedback... It's a place where you can make friends for life! I know I've made many, and I will be the first one to tell you that I learned a ton from it! And not only about fishing!

For the most part, you can kind of get to know the person behind the keyboard based on their posts. We all are who we are, offline or online. The important part about BWE is it IS a SoCal kayak fishing community gathering place, one of. Knowing how hard it is to rally people around any common cause, we have to nurture it. It comes in handy to all of us - it has in the past, I am sure it will in the future.

Not to mention the entertaining factor...

And yes, like lots of other subjects, this one has popped up at least 4-5 times that I recall over the years.

Neill...
You've come a long way.
Just in case you've overlooked it, here is a link to the same discussion back 5.5 years ago, lil' before you got BWE account. I am stoked to see BWE still going strong!

Many of the core BWE gang that you hardly ever hear from these days chipped in on it on this thread, so it's worth reading for the new folks. Besides, it's got Todd's legendary "Evolution Of Kayak Fishermen" theses, that is so very true for so many of us.... 0

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ayak+fisherman

And BTW, Team Sewer, FYI - Todd (C-Level) was that boater that one crazy halibut bite day who was watching you guys pull one flat kind after another right by his boat on anchor... where he smiled, congratulated, and celebrated with you (yes, they had like 8 on ice as well)... Not yelled "YOU ARE TOO CLOSE!!!" like 90% of SoCal boaters would... Once a kayak fisherman, always a kayak fisherman.

Another plug for Todd - awesome read for anyone wanting to know more about halibut fishing from Jim's site

http://kayak4fish.com/press/Halibut0405.shtml
Old 10-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #43
PAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
More good stuff...
Just in case you've overlooked it, here is a link to the same discussion back 5.5 years ago, lil' before you got BWE account. I am stoked to see BWE still going strong!

Many of the core BWE gang that you hardly ever hear from these days chipped in on it on this thread, so it's worth reading for the new folks. Besides, it's got Todd's legendary "Evolution Of Kayak Fishermen" theses, that is so very true for so many of us.... 0

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ayak+fisherman
That's a C-Level classic, but I thought you implied we'd see posts from the old guard. I guess some of us are really, really old timers. Those names date from BWE generation 2 or 3. Still fun to see.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #44
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyblanco View Post
#5 for me. Disappoint with some of members that I met in the water and they try to avoid you.don't want to mention names but, there part of some sewish spill team.
Thank God our name rhymes with lure and not sewish because we would never do such a thing.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #45
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Oh I sorry you are "disappoint" with the "sewish spill team", I'm assuming your referring to team sewer?

Have you ever introduced yourself to anyone of us? I don't ever remember ever meeting you.

Stinkymatt runs the complaint department maybe you want to get ahold of him hopefully he can resolve your issue.

In all seriousness were all really cool guys...at least I like to think so. If anyone is unlucky enough to run into any of us on the water don't be afraid to introduce yourself....we won't bite....

HARD!

I'm with Tony on this one, if I had to post a thread everytime I went out fishing most of you would be disappointed

However, I did manage to come home with enough macs to cover my hooping sessions for the rest of the season

Old 10-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #46
lamb

You've got to go to yakfishing.com for the old old guard Paul...

Keep in mind - BWE dates back prior to what you see on the oldest posts here, to 2002... remember, we got hacked way back and they nuked the database... And there was no backup ... No, I was not in charge of backups at the time

We've got yakfishing.com forum backup - we'll bring it online soon. If nothign else, just for the kicks.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #47
PAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
You've got to go to yakfishing.com for the old old guard Paul...

Keep in mind - BWE dates back prior to what you see on the oldest posts here, to 2002... remember, we got hacked way back and they nuked the database... And there was no backup ... No, I was not in charge of backups at the time

We've got yakfishing.com forum backup - we'll bring it online soon. If nothign else, just for the kicks.
Wow, web 1.0 right there. Yakfishing.com should be in a museum. I'll study it too, if it goes back far enough. It's a kayak fishing time capsule. Thanks Adi!
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #48
Cbad Mike

Lots of great input from everyone.

My personal thought on the subject of fish reports.

If you want an up to date fish report GO FISHING! Get out on the water and make friends!
You want to know where I caught fish the day before? Then meet me at the launch at 5 am, say hello and introduce yourself. I'll be more than happy to paddle out with you and show you where and how I was successful the day before.

I don't usually post timely fish reports on BWE for the following reasons.

1. If you were really interested in catching fish you would be on the water regularly and therefore wouldn't need a report.

2. From putting my time in otw (a lot of time) I've met some really cool people and we share information because we all know that each of us works hard to find the fish. I don't think it would be fair to share info that was given to me from someone else's hard work. If you want a report than deserve a report, Help other people and make friends! Kayak fishing isn't Obama Care or Welfare... you don't get rewarded for doing nothing.

3. I get skunked more times in a month then most people on BWE fish in a year so frankly I feel that I deserve to enjoy those days when the fish are jumping in my kayak more than someone who only blows the dust off of their kayak when it's sunny with no swell and 79 degrees out.

4. Why in the hell would I post a great day on the water for all of the power boaters to read? If you don't know why that's a bad thing then your not on the water enough.

5. There are no fish in La Jolla.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick it's just how I honestly feel and I think a lot of other anglers feel the same way. Is it really that hard to understand?
Old 10-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #49
Deamon

I've been fishing less by myself these days because of BWE. Fishing alone or with a buddy has always been my preference for years.There's just nothing like putting in the time and figuring stuff out whether alone or with a great friend. Like anywhere, there's a mixed crowd in the yak world. Some throw you stink eye...cool. Some are friendly, chat then go their own way...cool. Some are connected to groups...can be very, very cool.

Hanging with the Sewer team or the Lollipop crew isn't like were all tight with each other all the time and that's it. We've all got our own worlds we're living in. Family's, jobs, blah, blah, blah. Guys move in and out as they prefer or as their schedules allow. Yeah, there are text's between ourselves outside of the BWE forum, especially if there's a bite going on but more than half the time it's not about yak fishing at all. I think those who try to disparage a Team Sewer or Lollipop might be missing out...

BWE lurkers...
Fresh reports so the rest of us can take a break and enjoy your day...
Posting photos of big fish and not giving out too much info...
Tournaments and extreme competition, not my thing...
BWE...
Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #50
Jimmyz123

Post a report or don't post a report no one should feel that they have to, or feel bad if they have. I fully understand that there is usually a delay on many of the big fish reports for protection of the bite that may be going on and again that is fully the right of those posting.

Is there anything wrong with any of that? No.

As others have mentioned the newby reports that happen about your first 20 times out of the same 12 to 18 inch sandy, spotty, or what have you does get boring after times. Now, reports that have photos, and videos are more interesting to check out, but again if you are expecting to get GPS readings, and locations out of the posts, you're crazy. Nothing personal to that, but it's just how people roll.

I think we all can agree that we love this sport of Kayak fishing and we all love to pop in and check things out see who's doing what, and go on about our lives. I've learned a lot from many of the vets on this site, and one of the biggest things I've learned is sometimes it's better to not be heard and to learn to let things roll off your back. Don't take things too personal.

Great site, great group of guys, and I look forward to seeing you all out on the water.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #51
Fiskadoro

I like to think I single handedly ruined Kayak fishing, at least that's what the Malibu tough guys told me. I'd post reports but then someone would have to kill me
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #52
Fiskadoro

B.S. aside.... times change. I can't think of a single board that has the participation levels it had half a decade ago. Look at Allcoast or even BD. Actually this is the only board where I still still see a solid level of quality participation.

I think the Golden age of fishing reports is pretty much gone. People over time relized that if you posted too much bite info online it just lead to too many people fishing your favorite spots. I still put up a report now and then but only when I feel that it wont have a negative impact on the local fishing.

I think reports should encourage others to go fish in general, not give them specifics like when, where, or things like "GO THERE NOW!!! every time someone catches a fish.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 10-25-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #53
TJones

there you go

guys attacking each other again , pointing the finger at the sewer . come on . and you wonder why nobody wants to post . great topic with lots of feedback . i will stay out of this since , i am the new guy .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #54
jorluivil

If anyone has a complaint about Team Sewer please contact Stinkymatt, he handles our complaint department.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #55
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

I complain so much to Matt, all he does is say.. .

TODAY IS GOING TO BE THE BEST FISHING DAY EVER......

have a i heard that one a dozen times.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #56
Deamon

StinkyMatt...there you go...he's proof that you don't have to be a great fisherman to be a part of a group...

Matt IS very good at getting Sewer's "proven producers" to fork over their lobsters and cheesecakes so he and other outsiders can enjoy them...
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #57
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
So Stinky makes the big bucks cause he can handle the Sewer? You guys keep on hanging in there! And please keep posting the good times.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #58
ericko

Remember Matt is the ELITE fishermen of the groug...heheh hohoho omg and the other guy that hangs with the sewer crew he's a three time three time three time world champion in what ask ful rac.. best part of all of this is its friday and tomorowow some of us lucky ones will be fishing and not wondering who,what,when or were to fish...

So boys what time are we headed out?
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #59
maui jim

Even the Three Stoogies had a leader.... Moe...
Old 10-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #60
kluts

Wide open bites

I see many of you guys from down here have seen the overcrowding explode due to internet exposure, and are doing your best to curb the damage, and I salute you for that.Like Pal said;there just isnt a lot of very productive spots left anymore due to the closures,and the ones that are good get crowded very quickly.My question is,Why do some of you guys feel it is alright to blow up a bite any way,with total disregaurd for the locals?Is it because,you think your doing the lazy man a favor just sitting on his couch?and you will be a hero for it?or is it because you live hours away, you got your fish and wont be back till next year,or ,maybe you had a personal problem with someone and your on a quest to send everyone to crowd that spot? whatever the reason I see most of you say one thing about your secret bite then go expose another,So,what is your determining factor,shut up about this one bite then go expose the other bite?
kluts is offline   Reply With Quote