Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2021, 06:10 PM   #1
kirkdavis

Hobie Surfin in the rocks

Against my better judgement, I got in the habit of hugging the rocks coming into Mission Bay where I didn't have to fight the tide as much in the shallower water. In addition, I would catch the waves coming in. One day I was too close to the rocks when my down rudder rope came out of the clip as a wave hit me. On a Hobie, when the rope comes unclipped it throws the kayak into a hard to port turn. Of course that was the side the rocks were on. My bow hit the rocks while I was trying to get my paddle out and my mind was trying to figure out what the heck was going on. Before I could get my nose out of the rocks the next wave hit me broadside and flipped the yak out from under me. The only thing hurt was my pride, and I lost a few poles, small tackle box, and a very special hand made brass knobbed hali-bat.
Lesson learned. Now I keep the rocks not quite as close, and on the starboard side of the yak.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:37 PM   #2
YetiX
n00b

Y'all will have to stand by, I just got my kayak so I'm sure it'll happen soon.

I mean, I did install my Mirage drive backwards and didn't cleat off my rudder the first time I went out and had a hell of a time sorting myself out. Reading the manual would have helped. But I guarantee you I'll have something better soon . . .