Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
jimoney9
Junior

Unhappy Fished today 3/22/13. Lost Turbo Fin

Lost a Hobie Turbo fin and a fishing pole at the La Jolla Boat Launch area while coming in around 9:30AM. Not too worried about the fishing pole but if anyone finds the fins can you please let me know. I will be very grateful and buy you lunch.

Member since Dec or Jan but haven't posted because I'm new to this ocean kayaking and I haven't caught anything big to write about.

It was a horrible morning to launch. Waves 2-4 feet. Windy and cold. But it was my day off and haven't fished in a month or so so I was eager to get out there. I saw another guy try to launch and the waves flipped him over and broke his pole in half. I waited for the right set of waves and made my way out. Another guy was launching alongside of me and both of us made it out safe. I think there was maybe 3 of us kayakers out there and a few boats. I've never seen so few fishermen out there, even on a weekday. Maybe I should have taken that as a sign. lol. Once I got out I could barely fish because the swells were so huge and so up and down that I was getting seasick. I was all wet and cold and couldn't stay out there too long. I thought I would be ok coming back in but a huge wave lifted my backside and I was almost vertical and I flipped over. I didn't think about fins cuz of all the waves that were pounding me and I was trying to get to shore asap while grabbing what I can see. I had all my bags and other things tied to the line but I didn't secure the fins. When I came back to shore I assessed all the damage. Got soaking wet, lost my sunglasses, lost a pole, broke another in half, and lost my Turbo fins. I even asked a couple of swimmers to see if they can find it. Lesson learned. Next time when the waves are that bad I'm going to leave the fins inside and beach it with the fins pushed back all the way to the side. Or don't go out when the waves are that bad.

So if anyone finds the fins please let me know. Thanks.

Does anyone know if those things ever wash up on shore or does it disappear into the abyss?
jimoney9 is offline   Reply With Quote