Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
Jaysuuun
Junior

First Post - Coming out of Lurk Status, DP 5/31

Hello fellow yakkers! My wife and I picked up a Hobie Tandem Mirage a couple of months ago. It's an older one, not an Outfitter or Oasis, but it's in really good shape. It was pretty plain when we got it, so I've been slowly rigging it for fishing. So far I've got a few GearTracs on it and a couple of Ram Tube rod holders. I also just got an Elite 4 HDI that I'll be installing soon. I'll post before and after pics once everything is rigged. Still plain Jane right now.

Since we got our kayak, we've done most of our fishing in the harbors (NPH,LAB). On Saturday we finally got the cajones to venture out and hit some local kelp for the first time. We ended up with 1 Calico, 2 Sandies and some missed bites bouncing the swimmies. One of the Sandies was a fattie 20inches. We fished for about an hour and a half before we started to get the feeling that we were going to lose our breakfast LOL. That's when we decided to head back.

I've been lurking on the site looking for answers to a lot of questions that have already been asked and so far it's been an awesome resource. My goals for us on the yak is to start off on some local kelp for bass/rockfish and gradually get my wife on her first Yellow. We're slowly getting our feet wet and still learning the ropes. Still have yet to attempt the dreaded surf launch! LOL We hope to meet and fish with some of you sometime soon.

Jason
Jaysuuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Nice first one,

Thanks for starting to post and you're definitely in the right place to learn the sport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
chris138
donkey roper

Rad post. So great to see a couple out enjoying kayak fishing together. I hope to get there soon build up some sea legs, come down to LJ and get her on a yellow!!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
chris138
donkey roper

Also you only joined in April so I wouldn't say you are lurk status. I was on this site a year before I posted haha
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Love it, great post and awesome story!

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #6
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Jaysuuun, I am glad u finally came out. I've been following u and Tess for a while. SWAT king and surf guru. Glad to see you here. If U are ever down here in SD, hit me up.

Last edited by Cadillyak; 06-03-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Welcome to the party!
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #8
octico

Welcome! I am thinking of getting a tandem for the wife so we can fish the harbors. We have a tandem road bike ... why not a tandem yak?

As far as the nausea stuff ... it will get better. If not take drugs, Bonine works without all the grogginess. Or you can do the natural stuff and chew on ginger or some Nabisco crackers.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:40 AM   #9
blitzburgh

Cool first post! Welcome
Old 06-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #10
primosurf

nice sandy!
primosurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #11
Jaysuuun
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Rad post. So great to see a couple out enjoying kayak fishing together. I hope to get there soon build up some sea legs, come down to LJ and get her on a yellow!!
We know that's where the big fish are so we hope our sea legs develop sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillyak View Post
Jaysuuun, I am glad u finally came out. I've been following u and Tess for a while. SWAT king and surf guru. Glad to see you here. If U are ever down here in SD, hit me up.
I thought your SN looked familiar. I'm glad we now have an option to surf fishing especially when conditions aren't ideal. We'll keep you in mind if we ever hit SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
Welcome! I am thinking of getting a tandem for the wife so we can fish the harbors. We have a tandem road bike ... why not a tandem yak?

As far as the nausea stuff ... it will get better. If not take drugs, Bonine works without all the grogginess. Or you can do the natural stuff and chew on ginger or some Nabisco crackers.
Thanks! Yes, you should get a tandem! It'll give you more oppurtunity to get out on the water if you bring her along rather than leaving her at home. And if fishing is not her thing, she can bring a book or just enjoy the scenery while you fish. You'll get a better approval if you say "Honey, do you wanna go kayaking with me tomorrow?" as opposed to "Honey, can I go fishing tomorrow?"LOL

I would say the only drawback of our tandem is the minimal storage space and lack of maneuverability compared to a single. Sometimes I break out the paddle when I need to turn on a dime.

I've heard good things about the Nabisco Ginger Snaps. Maybe I should pack those instead of Cheetos next time. LOL

Thanks to everyone else for the warm welcomes! I've got more gear that I've been wanting to test out so I'm hoping to give them a try soon. I'll keep ya'll updated.

Jason

Last edited by Jaysuuun; 06-04-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Jaysuuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
FISH11

Welcome aboard! You might want to get your own Fish Grip. It just doesn't look right with you in the Picture. Tight Lines
Old 06-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #13
DESTROYER

Tubby Sand Bass....Great First Report!
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
ryanr0cks
Junior

Welcome Jaysuuun!! I've seen a bunch of yours and your wifes posts on FNN good stuff you guys!!!
ryanr0cks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #15
dlmoo
Junior

Nice sandie Jason. See you out there soon bro
dlmoo is offline   Reply With Quote