Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2015, 01:42 PM   #21
ccacher1

Back issues are the WORST. That being said, they can be improved and mostly eliminated if you are careful. I am 27 and I had back surgery when I was 24 to take out 1 of 3 herniated disks in my lower back. I had the numbness in my toes and down my left leg that you are referring to. Be careful not to let the numbness and nerve damage get out of control or it can turn permanent (as you probably already know). Anyways, I had 3 epidurals and did 3 months of physical therapy before turning to surgery. I would definitely try physical therapy first and TONS of stretching (hamstrings/hip flexors). Even thought the PT didn't help me, you never know, it may help you. The most important things they told me in PT were to stretch my hamstrings, stretch my hip flexors, and strengthen my core.

A couple stretches I still do regularly are:

1.) hamstrings - laying on my back with one knee bent and lifting my other, straight leg up as far as i can for 10 times. At the top of the stretch you can pump your ankle up and down which helps loosen things up.

2.) gluts - laying on my back cross one ankle over other knee and bend that knee while pulling to your chest. You should feel this a lot in your lower back and glut.

3.) hipflexor - kneel with one knee down like you are getting engaged (as least from what I've seen in the movies) and then push your hips forward and arch your back. You should feel it in the outside/top/front of your leg.

4.) spine contraction - while on your hands and knees arch your back and look up at the ceiling, then curve your back like a cat and put your chin to your chest. Hold each for 10 seconds and do 10 of each.

Sorry again to hear about your back. I hope you are able to try some of these stretches because they really do help. If you have any questions shoot me a PM as I'm sort of bad at explaining things. With backs there are good days and there are bad days...I am back to about 90% of a completely healthy back but I am extra careful now with any lifting I do, the amount of golf (twisting) I do, and the amount of standing or sitting I do. Even in a kayak I use my arms to lift myself up every once in a while so I'm not in the same sitting position for too long.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:14 PM   #22
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Bummer thread guys .......

... as I sit here NOT Fishing today because of pain in my back, hip, and knee.

I will be doing and researching the stretching route, Considering seeing a PT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have decided to fight old age by going all in .............. exercise will make you live longer, even if there is some pain involved.
I had both my knees replaced in the last year so I have a hard time getting into my yak, I have to get it floating then drop my butt into the seat, landing is worse because I have to get my feet under me and it's hard to get up from a low position. I worry about launching in the surf the first time and I'll probably have problems when I come in. But I still want to fish La Jolla.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:23 PM   #23
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

Sucks Man

Man Mike that sucks, I've hurt my back a few times and that was just a pulled muscle. I feel for you brother! My girlfriend had a bad sciatica issue a few years ago and yoga really helped her. specifically a type of yoga called Vinyasa Flow Yoga, lots of stretching and not in a crazy hot room. Since she got into yoga the stretches that she has learned have helped keep the pain at bay very well. I know lots of people are throwing out lots of advice, but main thing is find something that works for you and keep at it. Also remember if some thing or someone is claiming things that seem too good to be true, it probably is...

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:35 PM   #24
GregAndrew

There are differing degrees of sciatic issues, and every body is different. I have had moments where I could not roll over on the chiropractic table and months of almost no pain at all. I went through an extensive rehab involving Chiro, Electrical Stimulation, Massage, Acupuncture, Acupressure, Spinal Block, Etc. I tried exercises that others had shared with me that had helped them. But the only thing that helped me was developing my own set of exercises, and not to over stress myself when doing them. Get an MRI, cause no amount of PT is going to heal extensive soft tissue damage. There are also things you can do to help prevent aggravating the injury like as mentioned, not sitting on your wallet, sleeping on a firm mattress on your back, not sitting on couches (most are terrible for this) and keeping your back straight (good posture) as much as you can. IB 800s do almost nothing for me when mine flares up, but Norcos/Vicodin can take the edge off.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #25
chris138
donkey roper

I had bad sciatic pain several years back. Doc told me I had a cracked vertebrae (broken back essentially) and that i need to have surgery and have my spine fused to fix it. I told him basically to go F himself and started stretching religiously. 6 months later, back still "broken", no pain of any kind. So glad I didn't have surgery. Nearly 10 years later I'm totally good, though who knows what will come in the future.

In my experience, a good foam roller is just about as important a kayak accessory as any other.

Oh ya, and x2 on the "natural" pain relief!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:13 PM   #26
radastaff

wow
lot of guys with back issues here

Lots of good advice too.
I have had pinched nerves and sciatic nerve issues.
Mostly time and stretching helps.

Takes up to a month to heal after a flare up typically,
with the sciatic a few months.

Being a carpenter does not help.

If your stomach muscles are not strong, they will have a hard time supporting your back, so strengthening them should help further injury.
Thing is , its hard to strengthen when your hurting.

I found super feet boot inserts make a big diff for me with decent arch support(got high arches)

Doing rep leg lifts to a 90degree and hold helps too in the morning.
Not sleeping on the couch helps too.

For kayaking I bought a small thermarest cushion
keep it half under my seat, half at my lower back.
made a big diff for those 12 hour days...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...0E34PS1E6QWGBX

Last edited by radastaff; 09-17-2015 at 09:18 PM.
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:08 PM   #27
Cbad Mike

Hey guys,
Thanks to all for the information and taking the time to reply.
I have to say that things are improving some most likely from all of the stretching and steroids.
Surgery will be definitely a last resort.
The need to get back on the water seems a little stronger than the pain right now so I may try this coming week.
I really do appreciate the feedback and replies.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 10-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #28
icelogger

Hey Mike,

Sorry to hear about your back situation. I've had many back injuries and have been to many different types of treatment centers. Most have not worked but a couple have. A combination of chiropractic treatment and physical therapy that work specifically together on your back issues is the best combination.

I am currently in my 5th week of Chiro and PT for a rotated and locked L5, a locked up sacroiliac joint, Periformis injury, facet syndrome, and degenerative disc disease. As you see a lot of things going on. But I am finally returning to work next week. I am currently about 85% recovered.

The link below is a guideline of treatment that I am getting in Minnesota . It explains the method and the type of treatment that really works. Its the combination of chiro and PT, and home exercises that make all the difference. Maybe you have a similar clinic in your area. And steroids are a temporary fix that can hurt you more if there is something more serious going on.

http://www.dmrmethod.com/dmr-method/

Cheers buddy,

Get Well!

Justin
icelogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:11 PM   #29
TJones

thanks for sharing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
When I herniated my L5S1 about 6 years ago, it was really painful. Couldnt tie my shoes for weeks. Out of work for months. Very limited as to what I was able to do. When the injury happened, I felt a pop and immediately fell to the floor and had to be taken to the ER with some help. No surgery just months of physical therapy before I saw any kind of improvement. Been dealing with pain since it happened. Recently what Has helped me was dropping some weight as well as sleeping on a stiffer mattress. Im also trying epidural injections and I have my second one scheduled for this Friday actually. These shots help, but its not a permanent fix. I just had nothing to lose as sometimes my pain is so bad it makes me yell at my fiancé (thats what she tells me).

The last doctor visit I had before the first injection revealed an MRI that I was not hoping for. The disc that was herniated over 6 years ago was solid black in color while the rest were white. Doc says it is because its just worn out so much. I also lost all of my reflexes in my left leg since the injury. Nothing to be taken lightly, but this is why I fish now instead of racing motocross. If it had not been for my injury I would have not gotten back into fishing. So I try to stay positive about it.

When I first started fishing, I was on a tarpon 140 then had a revo and I could not stay on the water for more than an hour or so before calling it quits. Now people will probably knock this but I dont care. When i switched to a hobie with the vantage seat, Ive been able to fish 5-6 consecutive days for 10 hours without needing to come off the water. Now im sure the vantage seat is not a 100% of what helped me but along with that and the other things I mentioned above, Im able to still enjoy the hobby I love.
Hope you are doing well. I got rid of my gsxr-1000. I was riding rice since i was 15 . I am lucky I am walking away .I always rode big bikes. I stopped riding for ten years because of the tickets I had acquired. For some insane reason I decided to purchase a new liter bike again. Times have changed. The new liter bikes are ridiculously fast. Redlining first gear is at just under 14,000 rpm. When I popped it into second gear, the digital readout was over 90mph. I estimated the speedo to be off 6-8 mph which is within tolerance. So it is a safe bet that the bike will do over 80 mph in first gear. Because I have a commercial license, I think I barely grabbed the power band of second gear a handful of times which will put you well over 110. The bike feels solid at 150 mph, probably at 200 mph . That is one of the major improvements in the last decade. The massive frame and swing-arm with the suspension components, not to mention gobs of power. Fortunately I found a new hobby. I have seen people killed and get killed on motorcycles and know of many who were injured seriously. I have aches, pains, and scars from many a different sport or hobby. There is nothing more debilitating then a back injury. Thanks again for sharing you'r experience. Hope to see you on the water soon.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:29 AM   #30
Pocoloco

2 things that have kept me in a yak. Accupuncture instead of meds/surgery and the vantage seat in my PA. Without those 2 I would only last a couple of hours and would take days to recover.
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote