Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Sruf Launching a Hobie

Okay, so I've noticed a number of you guys are converting over to Hobies. This has gotten me thinking about converting also due to rotator cup issues that I have developed making paddling difficult. I have thought about one issue that gets discussed on many fish reports...Surf Launches.
Given the average weight difference between a Hobie (especially the PA) and most other Kayaks, does anyone find it more challenging to surf launch (refering to paddling speed) due to the added weight?
Any insight or input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:02 AM   #2
josywells
Junior

I've owned a adventure w/ turbo fins and launching it in the surf was no problem. Matter a fact, that's where the mirage drive really shined to me. Now, landing in the surf was another story. Seems to me that "surfing" the adventure is a bit unsettling, but with some practice and proper technique it can be done.

Hope this helps.

Jason
josywells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
mtnbykr2

I have had an Outback for three years now, the launch is not that bad, the landing is not that bad either, with the exception of anyones chance
of having a yard sale, but the best possible description of a Hobie in a surf
landing is like trying to paddle in a tuperware bowl, but after some practice, it is no problem...definately recomend a Jim Sammons surf lesson though
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
Deamon

I launch out with the mirage drive tied up inside and not used. Paddling out has not been a prob for me.

I come in with the rudder strapped up, mirage drive in use while I use the paddle mostly to keep the boat pointed STRAIGHT or slightly on edge. I can't imagine not using the paddle (rudder only) in the 2-2 1/2' foot breakers when coming in. Once the yak starts turning if you don't immediately correct positioning, the next wave will do you. Small waves no prob...you just look a bit silly going in sideways and leaning backwards.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
I can't imagine not using the paddle (rudder only) in the 2-2 1/2' foot breakers when coming in.
I concur. I keep pedals bungie'd and rudder up for launches and landings. There isn't enough steering rotation with the rudder down and on any day with decent wave size I often need to paddle-pivot at least once on my way in to break through a wave that I would have otherwise caught (and most likely subsequently rolled). I've tried 'side-sliding' a wave in with the pedals and rudder down. It just doesn't work on anything but ankle-slappers (it rolls when the rudder digs sideways). And I've tried outright surfing down wave faces up to 4ft and it doesn't like that either no matter how you do it So for the Hobie I just keep the gear up, paddle like any other fishing kayak and avoid catching a wave at all costs.

Seems many guys just pedal their way to the beach every time though and they do just fine!
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
twitchy

I went from an X- Factor to an Outback so there is no weight diff for me. I have only been out on it three times and it is awesome..... The launch is fine, if you wade out into a couple feet you can use the mirage drive... Paddling out is easy as well. That landing is definitely more challenging, the Outback doesn't track as well as other yaks that I have used. I am sure with time I will get used to it, but the pro's far outweigh the con's. Plus you can text and drive and its not illegal... Go get one.
twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

I use the peddles going in and out! I do bungie them though just in case I fall off. I just have the extra strain of the bungie but that is easily overcome.
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
Lets_Fish

Weight? More like hull design & width!

I recently switched over from a paddle kayak (Hobie Quest & Malibu X-13) to a Hobie Outback. I'm loving it!

Now to the question at hand. I think if you do a little research on the weight of most kayaks that are used on this board you will find that they are relatively the same weight (say in the 60 lbs class) except the Pro Angler at around 80 lbs I believe. So to me the weight would not be the issue as there are other things that would sway me more like hull design (flat vs. "V") and width (wide vs. narrow).

Once you find what you like in a kayak and learn how to handle it through the surf the more satisfied you will be or maybe not. It's all up to you!
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
Kahouna

I have only made a couple landings with an outfitter. First one was an ankle slapper and I just peddled in. Second was 4-6 footers and I came in backwards. Both times the drive was in and strapped, rudder up, paddle in hand.

When I came in backwards, I never touched the drive and paddled backwards between waves keeping straight out the entire time. Very boring after watching the rental crowd eat it almost every time.
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:03 AM   #10
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
I have had an Outback for three years now, the launch is not that bad, the landing is not that bad either, with the exception of anyones chance
of having a yard sale, but the best possible description of a Hobie in a surf
landing is like trying to paddle in a tuperware bowl, but after some practice, it is no problem...definately recomend a Jim Sammons surf lesson though

Thanks for all the responses.
I was under the impression that the launches seem to be the most difficult (ie. getting enough speed and the timing to plow through the incoming waves etc.), but it seems like the landings are just as tough!

I was debating on taking one of Sammon's classes, but based on the responses I think that's a slam dunk (pardon the pun). LOL
Old 05-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #11
jorluivil

Yesterday I found out that preparing your taxes is easier then lading a Hobie with a Mirage drive and rudder.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
Deamon

It's decent size but doable this morning for the rental yaks. Maybe 50% of them dumped it once. Funny thing is the rental shop leader dude who helped everyone get out was last to go. He made it out on his fifth attempt. Watching him from a distance, once he made it out 2/3's (almost there), he slowed (probably tired) and once your yak stops in surf break zone, the decent sized waves were grabbing him like a surfboard and would ride him in until he dumped it each time.

Keep that yak pointed straight and moving forward or it's yard sale time...
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
ODOGFISH

REVO's are easy ... but the OUTBACK ... well thats like landing in a large WOK thru the surf

Don't want to hear about it
Every single one's got a story to tell
Everyone knows about it

Oscar
ODOGFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #14
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

My experience with the Revo is that launching is usually fairly easy regardless of whether you paddle or peddle. I usually peddle. Having said this, when the surf is really big, or worse, very close together, there have been occasions where I simply have not been able to make it out.

Getting pounded in the chest by a dozen or more head-high waves, each pushing you back closer to the beach, can wear out even the most fit amongst us. I doubt the Hobies perform any better or worse than other kayaks in these conditions.

Landing is another story. Revos and Outbacks just do not surf very well. I have seen some guys on paddle kayaks surfing for fun and doing a great job. I have not seen anyone doing this on a Hobie.

In small surf, just about every technique works. If the surf is big or the interval is short, I have had the best success just waiting outside the surf line for a lull and then peddling as hard as possible, trying to stay between the waves. Under these conditions, I usually jump out of the kayak and grab the stern handle as soon I am in shallow water. This usually results in a very wet landing but I have not yet had a yard sale.

Recently, when faced with less than optimal landing conditions I have resorted to backing in. The best way to imagine this technique is to think of one of those big surf launches where you were never able to make it outside. You point the bow into the waves, paddle or peddle forward whenever a wave is approaching you and then paddle backwards between the waves. When you get to shallow water, jump out and grab the bow.

This technique works great but be prepared to get some ribbing from the guys on the beach when you try it.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:53 AM   #15
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
My experience with the Revo is that launching is usually fairly easy regardless of whether you paddle or peddle. I usually peddle. Having said this, when the surf is really big, or worse, very close together, there have been occasions where I simply have not been able to make it out.

Getting pounded in the chest by a dozen or more head-high waves, each pushing you back closer to the beach, can wear out even the most fit amongst us. I doubt the Hobies perform any better or worse than other kayaks in these conditions.

Landing is another story. Revos and Outbacks just do not surf very well. I have seen some guys on paddle kayaks surfing for fun and doing a great job. I have not seen anyone doing this on a Hobie.

In small surf, just about every technique works. If the surf is big or the interval is short, I have had the best success just waiting outside the surf line for a lull and then peddling as hard as possible, trying to stay between the waves. Under these conditions, I usually jump out of the kayak and grab the stern handle as soon I am in shallow water. This usually results in a very wet landing but I have not yet had a yard sale.

Recently, when faced with less than optimal landing conditions I have resorted to backing in. The best way to imagine this technique is to think of one of those big surf launches where you were never able to make it outside. You point the bow into the waves, paddle or peddle forward whenever a wave is approaching you and then paddle backwards between the waves. When you get to shallow water, jump out and grab the bow.

This technique works great but be prepared to get some ribbing from the guys on the beach when you try it.

Bob

I haven't stopped using this technique since I first posted I was doing it, its now my routine regardless of wave height or interval. From what I've seen most guys get tossed in knee to waist deep water, waves are less than a foot high. Haven't been able to understand why they don't just jump off and walk it in.....to each his own.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:37 AM   #16
FlyFishinYakr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODOGFISH View Post
REVO's are easy ... but the OUTBACK ... well thats like landing in a large WOK thru the surf
Thanks much,
This is one of the other reasons I thought I'd ask this question. I'm torn between the Outback and the Pro Angler (if I can come up with the extra scratch). I'm 53 yo. with multiple back issues and only 5'4" and the Revo wasn't even in my plans. I believed it was just too big for me to handle. I was looking for something in the 12'-14' range and figured that the Outback would be an overall ideal yak for me.
FFY
Old 05-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #17
tight lines

i just got rid of my pro angler because i have back issues ,i do not suggest getting one just for that reason..I did my research and purchased a revo based on weight and speed and being able to use the mirage drive .I hear the outback is not as fast ,so therefore you will put more effort into the paddling or peddling .The more effort in these motion =the more strain on the back .This is just my experience ,and this is what i thought was best for me .
tight lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #18
StinkyMatt

Had a Revo for almost a year. Got an Outback now. REVO much easier to handle loading and unloading, it feels much lighter and less awkward. Outback has sooooo much more room on deck, for fishing platform much better. I tested the speed thing often between the two boats and the difference is almost nothing. IF anything, in rough chop the Revo slices through the waves a little easier with less slap.

If weight and ease of handling/ back problems is the main concern go with the Revo.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #19
Kahouna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post

Bob
I can take the ribbing when everything on board is accounted for and I am dry.

Good info!
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote