Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2015, 12:39 AM   #21
Irishman

This post took me two days to bring my guts up to post....My Father is still alive and the part that kills me is I only get to see him about every year and and a half. I'm an immigrant to this great country. Born and raised in Ireland. I can tell you, if your willing to read along for a awhile.....
You can look up Dungarvan harbor, Ireland. It's a small fishing town from back in the day. Go back 40 years and imagine a child's delight to be involved and allowed to be part of the big mans club....we or I, was along for a mid summers pub fest, think great beer, local chat and when tv's were black and white.
Anyway...my Dad and my uncle Mossy are having pints at the Moorings (the pubs still there but now owned by English folks) so it's late in the evening, bear in mind it's close to about 10pm before the sun even sets in summer, and we are now hanging our legs over the dock. I'm about 10 or younger and have my heroes on either side.. Bacon attached to string and we are fishing for crabs.
So that's how it started...
Fast forward two or three years and I am invited on the holy grail...to go fishing on a boat. It's a big deal to reel up mackerel on feathers, then to be allowed to grind them up for rubby dubby. We were fishing for blue shark. On the way back in I was propped up on about three lifekackets and given the responsibility of steering thr boat. Everything was going great until I see a telegraph pole in the ocean, I yank the wheel left and nearly pitch my dad, uncle and Tommy Power over the side...it took about 10 seconds for tommy to get to the wheelhouse, arm raised and thick ear about to be applied. I simply pointed to the log and nothing was said...until we got back to The Moorings, then I felt like I had become a man....I had my first beer that day.
I'm wiping tears now, I'm 44 and wish I could turn back the clock. I've lived in San Diego since 1992 and see my family on average 5 days every two years. So for you ppl that have the luxury of seeing your parents, brothers, cousins etc...don't waste tomorrow or the next day...make it happen
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:11 AM   #22
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
This post took me two days to bring my guts up to post....My Father is still alive and the part that kills me is I only get to see him about every year and and a half. I'm an immigrant to this great country. Born and raised in Ireland. I can tell you, if your willing to read along for a awhile.....
You can look up Dungarvan harbor, Ireland. It's a small fishing town from back in the day. Go back 40 years and imagine a child's delight to be involved and allowed to be part of the big mans club....we or I, was along for a mid summers pub fest, think great beer, local chat and when tv's were black and white.
Anyway...my Dad and my uncle Mossy are having pints at the Moorings (the pubs still there but now owned by English folks) so it's late in the evening, bear in mind it's close to about 10pm before the sun even sets in summer, and we are now hanging our legs over the dock. I'm about 10 or younger and have my heroes on either side.. Bacon attached to string and we are fishing for crabs.
So that's how it started...
Fast forward two or three years and I am invited on the holy grail...to go fishing on a boat. It's a big deal to reel up mackerel on feathers, then to be allowed to grind them up for rubby dubby. We were fishing for blue shark. On the way back in I was propped up on about three lifekackets and given the responsibility of steering thr boat. Everything was going great until I see a telegraph pole in the ocean, I yank the wheel left and nearly pitch my dad, uncle and Tommy Power over the side...it took about 10 seconds for tommy to get to the wheelhouse, arm raised and thick ear about to be applied. I simply pointed to the log and nothing was said...until we got back to The Moorings, then I felt like I had become a man....I had my first beer that day.
I'm wiping tears now, I'm 44 and wish I could turn back the clock. I've lived in San Diego since 1992 and see my family on average 5 days every two years. So for you ppl that have the luxury of seeing your parents, brothers, cousins etc...don't waste tomorrow or the next day...make it happen
Cheers Irishman....

J