Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-03-2020, 07:34 AM   #1
Mahigeer

Alaska trip-2020 part three.

You may recall, due to two check-in bags and transportation issue for me, I decided to have my fish sent via freight on Alaska Airlines.
After several delays due to miss-handling by the seaplanes in Alaska, it arrived on Sunday noon. I was once more surprised since ETA was Monday 8:06 PM!

I was delighted and picked it up promptly.
The 50 lbs. (standard weight) box had been kept in coolers for storage when stored. I guess the cargo section of the plane is also naturally cool during the flight.

1-The fish arrived in a heavy duty box that had a waxed (water resistant) bottom part.

2-It contained a thick plastic bag with a thin insulating bag inside of it.

3-The were a lot of fillets, each in its own vacuum bag.

4-Both shelves of my freezer got full.

I end up buying a 5 cub. ft. chest freezer to keep my fishing bait in it. Now I can also buy some big bulky Costco items that must be in the freezer.

I hope the information provided is useful to the readers here.

Side note:
The freight cost was $99.00 on Alaska Airlines. I may not be asked to pay the additional $28.00 to Seaplanes in Alaska, due to their miss-handling of the box.

My Dr. gets the first delivery today, since his help in my getting Covid test result back expeditiously was such a useful action in uplifting the burden from my shoulders.

Most of the fish will be given away. Same as the previous 1/3 of the box in Gustavus.
I myself need to learn how to prepare halibut and salmon. My wife is not a big fish eater, or cooker.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

Was it still frozen when it arrived? They're supposed to pack it with dry ice.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Was it still frozen when it arrived? They're supposed to pack it with dry ice.
Yes they were frozen, you may be able to tell from the picture.

No ice or dry ice. The frozen fillets acted as ice blocks.

Apparently shipping dry ice requires special forms to be filled and is considered "Hazardous" shipping. It also requires certified delivery personnel!
Old 08-03-2020, 06:50 PM   #4
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Yes they were frozen, you may be able to tell from the picture.

No ice or dry ice. The frozen fillets acted as ice blocks.

Apparently shipping dry ice requires special forms to be filled and is considered "Hazardous" shipping. It also requires certified delivery personnel!
I've fished out of Sitka a handful of times and had my fish packed with dry ice as check-in luggage.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:50 PM   #5
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
I've fished out of Sitka a handful of times and had my fish packed with dry ice as check-in luggage.

This was posted on Alaska Outdoors Supersite wesite:

Here are all the details on how to mail frozen fish via usps
07-28-2009, 16:44
I've learned a lot the past few days; there are quite a large number of technicalities that one must follow to legally mail fish; this post contains what I've learned.

If you know better on any of these points please post a correction or maybe a mod can fix this post so we don't lead anyone astray. This is my best effort but I'm not an expert on this:

- Using a fish shipping box is probably a good idea, but not required. Flat rate boxes work but are small. Insulate the box best you can.
- 5# max of Dry ice is allowed. insulate it from the frozen fish.
- sport caught fish can be sent to anyone. subsistence caught fish can only be sent to immediate family members
- Hit the last post of the day so it will fly out of ANC with the least sitting in ANC.
- Required form from Fish and Game to transfer possession of fish: http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/regul...s/transfer.pdf
- Required form for USPS: shipper's declaration form for dangerous goods must be done in triplicate with each signed; this shows contents, amounts, and packaging methods; here is that form: http://www.wvdhhr.org/labservices/sh...rous_goods.pdf The UN for Dry ice is 1845, for that form.
- DOT Class 9 Miscellaneous Hazardous Warning Labels must be affixed to the box: here is one you can print: http://www.labelsmadeeasy.com/dbimag...mod=1201669200
- Next to the DOT warning label you must list the contents of the box
- You must plainly mark the box "Dry Ice, UN1845"
- Priority shipping can be as fast as 2 days.
- The shipping label can be made easily, along with officially validating the ship to address, along with estimating the ship time can be done really nicely using the USPS's free software "Shipping Assistant". Download that software here: http://www.usps.com/shippingassistant/instructions.htm Even if you guess the weight way wrong they'll update that when you drop it off at your local post office.

Gee, isn't that easy?
Tags: None
Old 08-08-2020, 04:12 PM   #6
mrJB

Very Nice Read...

Always enjoy your travel adventure posts, especially your wide-eyed wonderment and sense of discovery. Bravo!!
Old 08-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #7
Mahigeer

Kinder words never spoken to me.

Much appreciated.

Glad you liked the post.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:48 PM   #8
walrus

If you will please, compare the good and the not so good experiences between your Cedros trip and your Alaska trip. Awesome post!

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:19 AM   #9
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
If you will please, compare the good and the not so good experiences between your Cedros trip and your Alaska trip. Awesome post!

Thanks in advance.

Good assignment. I will have to do some thinking and will post a reply.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:56 PM   #10
summers in kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJB View Post
Always enjoy your travel adventure posts, especially your wide-eyed wonderment and sense of discovery. Bravo!!
Agreed! Thanks for the write ups and pics. I can vicariously live through your posts!
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:13 PM   #11
Mahigeer

Glad you like them.

There are not too many, but they make up in length.