Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

Cat and Mouse...

I don't think it really matters which team you're on. Just as long as you're part of the machine itself. The truth is very few ever have a choice in how they play the game; if any for that matter. It just happens apparently. You could be the Cat. And chase fish all day long as if it's your job. Who in the hell wants to do that, though (). Or run for your life like a Mouse. With practically every kayak and power-boat of Southern California---not far off your tail.

I mean, come on it's just a game. Or is it? Probably not if you asked the Mouse! I guess in this case we're not talking about Cats or Mice, though. It's Yellowtail and the entire Southern California fleet. I often tell my clients that when you start seeing guys catch these fish---especially guys who typically don't---it's go time! Very much the same with White Sea Bass. Whether that moment has already come or gone remains to be seen. The fact that it's making it to the internet would typically lean toward the latter. Will the fish stick around? Nobody knows; for certain, anyway.

I'll offer some free advice, though: spread out. These fish that came through are moving all over the place. They're far from settled and haven't exactly fallen into any particular pattern. Which makes the daily altercations (between boats yelling at other boats or kayaks and boats) all the more trivial. While I did notice the recent thread regarding the etiquette between kayaks and boats---or lack there of. I never saw a reply offer any sound advice. Yeah, yeah, twice the distance that you can cast an iron. That's a start I suppose. But, what's that for the average angler---sixty feet?

When I say spread out I mean spread, way, the hell out! There's never a reason to be on top of someone's bait. Anywhere in the vicinity for that matter. Or casting an iron on top of that same bait I mention. It's silly. It's almost as if most anglers are on some kind of auto-pilot feature. I'd like to think it's obvious that someone's trolled Mackerel is behind them, but I'm starting to believe that perhaps it's not. I can understand if you see multiple anglers all bendo in one particular spot. That's a given. All bets are off at that point. When fish explode on the surface---irons are a flyin'! Trying to catch a fish from under another anglers vessel, though?

I can guarantee you that there were plenty of anglers out on this day (pictured). The vast majority believed that no fish were being caught. The few power boats that were on the water made it feel more like fifty. One poor sport-boat being swarmed by what looked like, Hornets. And one particular vessel who apparently decided to circle me for hours on end. He did everything possible to run over my fly-line to no avail. I kept winding my bait in as if I was fishing a surface-iron! Sometimes you've just got to laugh. I laughed more than once on this day.

The only down-side of fishing an area without a variety of vessels---intent on playing bumper boats?

The poor guy that circled you for hours on the Parker can't see what you caught---and the silly self portrait, of course.