Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
cell128
lizard king

Newport 5/18 nest and worst day ever

Had a little too much to drink last night almost didn't have the power to get out on the water. Nonetheless, will triumphed and on my way I was to NPH. Forgot to get breakfast and got a venti Starbucks coffee. Bigggg mistake.

Water was a little on the rough side so I planned to just stick by the jetty but hordes of kayaks plunged into the sea so I followed along with joe and marc from tustin i beleive. They arent BWE memebers but i passed on the word. Swells stirred my coffee real quick and my stomach was not having it. Then at about the 150ft Marc I got my first hit, set the hook and as I was reeling in, all my morning brew came out with no warning so I sat there barfing and reeling to end up with a damn lizard. I was going to call it quits but the barfing made me feel better so I decided to stick around.

Headed out to about 180 and saw a small school on the FF, Droppd the squid and immediately got hit hard. Reeling in was heavy and I knew I had something good..BAAMMM two sand bass at the same time!!!!
I drifted off a bit by the time I dealt with both of them but I tried to go back to the spot and landed another one right away just 2 inches too short though.

Just croakers followed and tiny rockfish. Followed by a couple of sand dabs. I was ready to call it a day and started my way back. I saw some structure on the way back at about the 150ft mark but no fish I dropped squid anyways and sat there trying to adjust my elite 4. Sat there for about 5 minutes And WhAAAMMMM, just like that, no nibbling or toying with my squid, this guy was just trying to hit and run. I began to bring him home but he did not approve and made a few runs back down even with my drag tightened down good. I finally saw some color down below and it kept getting bigger and bigger my heart was racing with excitement. HUGE rockfish!! I threw the net on him and held him down with my foot. This fish is my personal best in my month and a half of kayaking. All in all it was my best and worst day because of that damn coffee almost cost me a day of fishing. Never again at least not without some food in my stomach.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
AirborneYak

Awesome catch! That rock fish is going to make a lot of tacos!
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
octico

Great job, nice RockFish!

Nice catch! I was out there yesterday, but it was too windy and choppy. If we had even made out it to deep water it would have been tough staying on the fish.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #4
blitzburgh

Nice Copper
Old 05-19-2014, 06:15 AM   #5
StinkyMatt

Congrats on your big rock fish!

Whats a little puke on a kayak.....just splash some water on the deck and ready for more action.

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:22 AM   #6
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

You're just chumming the water. There's probably something in the ocean that found that delicious.

Much respect for toughing it out - nausea has chased me off the water occasionally.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
Casey

Nice one!!!!! your story reminds me of the time I drove all night to get to a cattle boat in avila. Drank coffee and redbull on the drive. We just got out of the harbor and Bamm Puking for the next 6-8 hours......
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #8
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Nice job! Limits and I were out there around 0600-1100 and just got some Tom cod, he got one sand dab, and his buddy got three dinky reds. When he got those reds his ff went out, lost his spot, so limits and I headed over to try to find the spot with no luck. Looks like you did the best of all!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #9
cell128
lizard king

Thanks. Been out a few other times but skunked. About time my luck changed for a day

Old 05-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #10
gallo
Junior

nice fish

Glad to hear the outback is being enjoyed. Better for fishing than the sporty?
gallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #11
cell128
lizard king

Yeah I love it. Its a little bit more work to haul and use a bed extender on my truck but its worth it. I can load it up with all kinds of stuff