Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
AirborneYak

NPH 6/1

Met up with Octico- john and Caddisx- Chris at kids beach around 0600 in the morning. Did the morning-crap-before-I-fish ritual and we were off. The goal was to find structure and hopefully some rockies.

The ride out was met with some light swells. I already started to feel the upchuck and hope the nausea would not stay with me the whole time fishing. Chris starts marking 180 feet and him and john starts to look for any blimp on their fish finder hoping to find a group of reds. Since I didnt have a fish finder, I kinda just went with the drift.

I didn't realize how far out I was until John hits me up on the radio asking if I was ok. I wasn't. At this point, the rocking and up and down motion finally reached maximum effectiveness, and I start to dry heave. Lol I started to feel better after my first bite.

i'm not sure how long it took for our first bite, but it was wide open on croakers for a good while. As soon as our line dropped, we'd get hit. It was such a hassle pulling our line up to release and re-rig our line. After the croaker bite shut down, it was back to drifting.

During this lull in activity, the boat traffic starts to pick up. The wake from one charters boats almost capsize a sail boat. For some reason, it seems all a-hole boater was out in full force this morning ,but the reds did start to bite shortly after.

We all start to get hit and pull a red here and there. We worked hard for the little fish we got. Most reds came in the two- taco size. We call it a day and Chris and I starts to head back in first. Chris is good distance from john and I. I decide to try one last time before I go home. I feel a small bite and I start to reel in the dink red on the other end of the line ....but then my line gets straight and tight. I am thinking that I'm stuck on some random rock pile down there and start to curse.

Before I can I even let out an F-bomb, my pole dips and the reel starts screaming as my line shoots downard. Holy crap!! Not this again!! I've got something big at the other end and I have no idea what it is. I start to get dragged and I call Chris on the radio to tell him about this legend I just hooked. John is still rock fishing and said he just hooked a nice size red. My pole is bendo and I'm trying to keep constant pressure. Every time I reeled some line in, I lost about two times that when it made a run for it. Chris ask," is it making a run straight down" and I answer with a nod. We think its a big ass bat at the other end by the way its moving. But you know what? We will never know cause as we are talking about what it might be, the line goes limp. I'm sad again as I realize this is the second time Ive lost a big fish.

I pull up my line to see a dink red on it still. I don't understand. My line didn't break, so what was dragging my line!? Maybe it was just stuck. Or maybe it was the BIGGEST fish that I couldn't caught!! Lol who knows. All in all it was still a great day out in the water. I got to meet a new friend and I got to fish! Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1401671310980.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  38.7 KB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
AirborneYak

Old 06-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
hook1fred

Nice job, glad to see the yak is taking care of ya
hook1fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
caddisx
caddisx

What a day

Couldn't be summarized any better. Some of the boaters today were real DB's but other than that today was a blast. Good to be out with you guys. Paul thanks for the great laughs.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #5
octico

Love watching Paul puke ....

So after our failed attempt last week at LMB at Elsinore and butt fishing Los Alamitos, Paul sends me a text wondering if I wanted to give NP a shot today. I was a little reluctant, but its always fun to watch Paul puke. I only had one Bonine tablet left and knowing Paul would not pick any up, I said sure Chris laughed at me when he saw me taking my tablet, I looked over at Paul and said sorry last buddy last one

Even after Paul chummed the water, fishing was slow. Until Paul hooked up on a whale shark. It was funny, I am trying to reel in my fish in and there is Paul with his hands between his holding onto to is rod like his going to blow his wad. Damn that was comical shiat that fish was pulling him everywhere and I was laughing my ass off (still laughing).

One thing to note we caught very little fish until we got into shallow water. I caught good reds at 167 feet. I spoke to someone else and he said he was marking tons of fish 200+ ... go figure.

It's was nice meeting Chris really nice guy ... better luck next time pal

octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #6
AirborneYak

Fred, without you this epic summer, so far couldn't have happen. Thanks again!!

Chris, it was great meeting you! Hopefully we can get back out on the water soon.

John, I hate that I'm always puking around you! Great job on that last red!!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneYak View Post
Fred, without you this epic summer, so far couldn't have happen. Thanks again!!
FYI ... summer has not begun ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneYak View Post
John, I hate that I'm always puking around you! Great job on that last red!!
I normally only have that effect on women
Old 06-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #8
AirborneYak

Lol John.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #9
Jkfish136

Thanks for the report I got a late start but was able to find 5 reds and one barber pole nothing big but enough for lunch. I had something big on my line maybe big sandbass or Lin but it came off halfway up. I was marking a lot of fish between 205 to 210 depth. It was nice meeting you Octico
Jkfish136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #10
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkfish136 View Post
Thanks for the report I got a late start but was able to find 5 reds and one barber pole nothing big but enough for lunch. I had something big on my line maybe big sandbass or Lin but it came off halfway up. I was marking a lot of fish between 205 to 210 depth. It was nice meeting you Octico
jkfish136 nice meeting you! Hit us up next time in advance so you can join us.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #11
blitzburgh

Nice work guys
Old 06-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #12
Jkfish136

Will do thanks
Jkfish136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #13
dmrides

Sounds like a nice day on the water. Did your dink red have any teeth marks on it? From your description, I would guess it was a ling that grabbed a hold of him and was trying to swim back into the rocks. Bummer he let go! Hopefully you marked the waypoint and you can go back and nail him next time.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #14
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrides View Post
Sounds like a nice day on the water. Did your dink red have any teeth marks on it? From your description, I would guess it was a ling that grabbed a hold of him and was trying to swim back into the rocks. Bummer he let go! Hopefully you marked the waypoint and you can go back and nail him next time.
Speaking of lingcod, has anyone tried dropping a mackerel down on the bottom in hopes of a Ling? Just thinking I might do that next time I'm out there.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #15
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
Speaking of lingcod, has anyone tried dropping a mackerel down on the bottom in hopes of a Ling? Just thinking I might do that next time I'm out there.
Good idea, its easy to make bait on the way out. I was thinking of picking up live squid from the bait barge and dropping whole ones down there. Last we went out I had a tank full of squid but the weather permitted us from going out.