Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #1
Saba Slayer

WSB in Carlsbad

Wayne Kotow and I met with some of the staff at HSWRI in Carlsbad yesterday to talk about CCA's collaboration on the search for a new species to add to the replenishment program.
To help the HSWRI staff, CCA CAL will be conducting a survey with the Southern California recreational anglers at the upcoming fishing shows and also online. I'll post more info as soon as the work is done and the survey is ready to present to the public.
Before we left Carlsbad we got to see the incubation room in full bloom. I believe they are preping to have the fish ready to deliver to the grow-outs in late March. It's such an impressive program, I'm always amazed by the science of it all!
There are about a half a dozen tanks in the room with tiny baby WSB and some plankton like food in them.

You're looking into a tank and seeing the reflection of the walls and overhead light, the bigger red dots you see are the WSB and you can watch them swim/dart for about 1/2" then rest. The other smaller dots are a plankton like critter that they eat.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #2
momo fish

Good to see progress and pictures of the setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Nice!

Please tell me they have backup power so they don't take the chance at losing thousands of fish to a power outage.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:48 AM   #4
taggermike

You might want to do some research about orehp/hswri prior to commiting to helping them. There is a story from Voice of San Diego concerning the program that should be well worth reading. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #5
GeauxFish

Thumbs up

I joined CCA and was at the first meeting this spring. Will members be getting info on events and other projects in the future? I'm receiving the Tide magazine. I'm also still receiving e-mails from CCA- Louisiana chapter where I was always a member for years. Just haven't really heard too much from this chapter here yet, other than your post on the hatchery visit. Looking forward to the future of CCA here. I know there are skeptics due to tainted past of other angler associations, but I have personally seen the positive impact CCA has on the coastal restoration and improvement on fisheries and habitat. Any members or those considering being members should simply look up the work being done in the southern states to see the possibilities. Once well established here I would really like to see the yearly CCA STAR Tournament. It really brings in great money to the CCA with GREAT prizes for fishermen. Boats, trucks, college scholarships, etc. I suspect the sooner CCA gains momentum here, then the sooner we can get the STAR Tournament started here. Again, I recommend all to take a few minutes to research CCA projects in other states(TX, LA, MS) and check out the CCA STAR Tournament as a little incentive to convince all it's worth joining.

If there are any events in the future where volunteers are needed, feel free to contact me. I'm confident that CCA can do well here for all fishermen, conservationists and Californians in general.

Thanks
Joe
GeauxFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:43 PM   #6
Saba Slayer

thanks

Good Info...Thanks Joe.
A CCA news letter is in the works.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:36 AM   #7
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
You might want to do some research about orehp/hswri prior to commiting to helping them. There is a story from Voice of San Diego concerning the program that should be well worth reading. Mike
Care to post a link? I checked VOSD all the way back to 2009 and can't find anything related to the program.

All I've ever read about the program has been good, so I'd be interested in reading anything different (since I was so involved with them for years setting up the grow out facilities for S.D.O.F.)...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:26 AM   #8
taggermike

The story may not be out yet. Hopefully soon. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote