Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
MrPukaShell

My Take on the Black Pearl July 2 Day

I took the day off work to not fight the traffic driving down from Ventura County. I left the house for the second time around 1:30. As luck would have it there was an accident in the Sepulveda Pass on the 405 which turned an hour drive in to a 2 1/2 hour commute. I met my buddy there and we were early. We decided to hit up some local places and come back for dinner. We ate at the landing and enjoyed some Grilled Tuna, Seafood cocktails and a beverage. The boarding time of 7:30 could not come early enough as we paced around in the parking lot. Meeting some new people that share some of your same interest. Our "Charter Master Steve" met us all and he made us feel right at home. 7:30 finally arrived and we were able to load all of our gear. With only 11 Kayakers we could each have two bunks which worked out really great. All of your gear was on the top bunk keeping your sleeping bunk free and clear. The crew worked hard getting all of the ice, beer, soda, water and food loaded. As we boarded and got ready for the 9:00 pm departure Capt. gives us the news. Only a small portion of San Clemente was going to be open and winds were going to make it tough. We decided Catalina would get the nod for day 1. We shove off and head for the bait barge. We load up on some monster Sardines and make a plan to jig for some "Candy Bait". I was watching them load the scoops and was wondering if they loaded the “Loading” ladder that was on the dock. One of the crew had made the “we had better not forget this” comment while we were loading and I figured it was the kiss of death. So I ask the deck hand, he looks at me, looks at the other deck hand, calls him over, they whisper and as he is passing me he says, “The Captain is going to be pissed”. Long story short we made the trek back to the dock. It was kind of funny when the Captain muttered over the loud speaker. I hit the rack and get up when we hit the squid grounds. Not much going on as far as the squid went so we hit up one of the boats and they give us some scoops. We head over to anchor for the night. As grey light approached a few of the angler wet a line and were rewarded with some nice Calicos. As we readied our gear breakfast burritos were stuffed with the regular items, potatoes, cheese, salsa, bacon and eggs filled the tummy. As we hit the water one by one bait is handed over for the ones who wanted it. The morning was slow for me with only a small Calico that was left to grow up. The wind was starting to build we head back around noon and board for lunch. Everyone chatted about their morning encounters. Burgers of your choice were on tap for lunch. I don’t know about you but there is nothing better than a Double Cheese Boat Burger fresh off the grill. I made a call home while we had cell service and found out that my 4th grandchild was born. That made my day, fishing didn’t matter at that point, it was off to zen land. We make the trek to our second destination and only dump one kayak over filling it with water. I thought it was going to snap in half when we were trying to get it back over the rail. We arrive at our second destination for the day. Still some wind but doable. Everyone gets in and gives it a go. The afternoon shift was slower than the morning if that was possible but you can’t beat being out in new water enjoying the sights. We board back up while dinner is being prepared. Steak, Salad & veggies were served up to some hungry folks. More fish stories were told as we head for Clemente. We wake to grey skies and light winds. French Toast and bacon were up for the mornings consumption. Everyone hits the water with hope of some exotics wanting to play. The water was clear as Gin and a beautiful blue. Once again the morning was slow with only a few bites. Got in behind the kelp line and found an awesome little cave. The water there was a beautiful turquoise blue, simply beautiful. Drifted in to shallow waters where you could look over the side in 25 feet of water and see the Bat Rays swimming around, another awesome sight. Hooked a few of them and decided it was time to move. Went in the kelp for no love so I started drifting towards the beach. In about 40 feet of water I hook something that feels a little better. I see color and have a nice little flattie on the hook. A quick gaff and I slide the game clip through the gills, I take the gaff out (mistake, big mistake), the fish goes crazy and jumps off the game clip due to my second mistake of not clipping it prior to removing the gaff. As luck would have it, it still had the hook in its mouth. I bring it back to poppa very carefully, re-gaff, re-insert the game clip and close the game clip prior to removing the gaff. Rip a gill and send it over the edge. Bring her back up for a look and still hot so I slit two gills on the other side, done deal. As I drift closer to the beach I see Frank with a big “Leo” strapped to his Kayak making the paddle back to the boat. I drift in to about 20 feet of water and nothing so I head back for lunch. By this time the wind is blowing a nice stiff 20 in your face. Paddle, spray, paddle spray, spray you know the drill. I try the kelp when I see my buddy but if you were not tied off you drifted way too fast. I head for the boat and some lunch. I enjoy another “Boat Burger” while I decide whether or not to get back in. I decide to load up and fish from the boat instead of fighting the wind. I figured I got my Halibut and was happy with that. The fish was small, 28” and about 10 pounds. But is was going to be some fine ceviche and several dinners. I have to say that the whole crew worked hard to get us on some fish. Very helpful and wanted to do anything you asked of them. Albert ran around in the skiff picking up fish and bringing you anything you asked for. Tim the other deckhand was a great story teller and I enjoyed everyone of them. Linda our chef cooked up some awesome grub and was there always dishing out bowls of chips, dips and candy bars. The Captains were both great, you gotta love a Captain that fishes. We loaded up and got under way around 4:00. Linda served up steak tacos that hit the spot and made most take a long needed nap on the ride home. We pulled in to dock at 11:00 pm, loaded up, said our good byes and hit the road. I for one was glad I took Monday off from work. If you can I say get on one of these trips. Awesome time fishing some places that are beautiful. Threw a few pics together from the weekend, enjoy.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX879...1&feature=plcp

Last edited by lambadmin; 07-26-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: embedded link
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
YakMedic

Soooo many words with no eye relief, break up the post some. I'm truly interested since I'm on the August trip but that's just unreadable.
I did check the video though you got some good shots.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
jorluivil

My eyes are dry......and bleeding

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:14 AM   #4
MrPukaShell

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
Soooo many words with no eye relief, break up the post some. I'm truly interested since I'm on the August trip but that's just unreadable.
Well then I look forward to "Your" great read in August
Old 07-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
steveooo

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. Apparently, basic reading comprehension is not the strong suit of some of our other members on here

I agree, I prefer a captain that actually enjoys fishing, and captain Rick is about as salty as they come.
Congrats on the 4th Grandchild Also, congrats on the halibut
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Great REport. Great People. And a great Experience!

Can't wait till do it again....wife is still mad
(she went off to go buy some expensive $250 hair curly iron thingy)

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post

Frank, let your better half get the "hair curly iron thingy" if she needs it...you
will find that it keeps everything at a happy medium...and you OTW...lol
But please no pics of your new hair do....
Old 07-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
MrPukaShell

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post

Frank, I will gladly let the wife spend $250 on anything she wants. If she knew how much I had sitting in the garage her fee would double. Just someting to think about
Old 07-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

If she knew... I would wake up dead

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
landwhale

Robert thanks for the report great having you on the trip and congrats again. Looking forward to August that weather break has to happen one of these trips

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Divad

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
X2 on the report!

Come on August! I am on that trip too!
Divad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
StinkyMatt

Thanks for the detailed report.

Congrats on the grand kid, papa better train them to be little fishermen.

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
MrPukaShell

I was looking at the "Expected Grunion Runs" for 2012 and noticed there was a run scheduled for July 18, 19, 20 & 21st. Guess we know what those Leo's & flatties were munching on in the surf line. Should have done my homework on that one.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Thanks for the report, come on Sept!!!!

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote