Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2011, 05:29 AM   #1
MrPukaShell

What Camera Do You Use?

Looking to buy a camera that is waterproof. What do you use?
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
old_rookie

I use a basic Panasonic Lumix pocket camera and use a dry bag for that style of camera.

Dicapac - http://www.dicapac.com/new_eng/02_products/sub01.html

But if I had the $$ for a new camera I'd go with the Optio W90.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

http://www.atc2k.com/

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
MrPatrick

I have an Atc2k also and a Tachyonic xchd. The Tachyonic is waterproof to 100' and has nice optics. Neither likes low light conditions though.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
MuddyMike

I've lost 2 cameras to water (Rain & Ocean) in the last year, so I finally splurged on a Pentax WG-1, that hopefully will be difficult for me to break.

Waterproof to 33 feet (haven't tested this). It's a little bloated with features I'll probably not use, but other features are pretty neat. Panorama, Microscope mode, & lots of other preset picture settings.

Coolest feature besides the ruggedness is the built in GPS chip. It writes your location to the meta data. If you use Picasa, it will read that data and show you a map of an area, with clickable thumbnails of where you took the picture. You can turn off that feature on either the camera, or in your Picasa album for privacy reasons. They have non GPS versions for about $50 less.

The quality of the pictures themselves are decent, this isn't near DSLR quality. Also the GPS receiver isn't very strong, so some pictures may not get the location data on them. Obviously inside it doesn't pick up, but sometimes outside it is a little slow.
MuddyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
flydigital

I've had this one about 6 years, never had a problem, pretty much has always been on the kayak with me. I have dropped it, kicked it, backhanded it , everything short of running it over. Its all dented up but works a charm. The battery just finally died on it though, not bad lasting 6 years and they are only $8 to replace.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus...5907138&sr=8-1

This is an older model of course, the newer 800 and 1000 series look pretty good at around $300-$400. I think the 720 was about $300 new back then.

Low light is something of a problem for all digital cameras. You can spend a ton more and get a better sensor but in the end all digital = low light noise. I have a $2000 Canon DSLR setup and it's not much better in low light than the point and shoots.

In my case, I decided to just go with my iPhone and a DryCase. Fully waterproof, decent pics with flash, HD video and of course the internet, phone and iPod build in.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydigital View Post

In my case, I decided to just go with my iPhone and a DryCase. Fully waterproof, decent pics with flash, HD video and of course the internet, phone and iPod build in.

Are you using the DryCase that sucks the air out and straps to your arm or something else?
Old 05-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #8
flydigital

That's the one.. I just ordered the other day haven't got it yet but the reviews look good. I'll post here when I have some experience with it. Plan to strap it to my arm.

I've used the cheaper $12 dry paks or whatever they are called. It worked for a few months then started leaking. These DryCase's are supposed to be better made - and they are completely clear so you can use the camera.

Last edited by flydigital; 05-20-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

I've taken the majority of my pictures with a Panasonic LUMIX camera - not waterproof. It took great pictures. I just bought a Sony DSC-TX-10 that is waterproof to 16ft. I'll post some pictures of my trip tp the Island on Monday.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydigital View Post
That's the one.. I just ordered the other day haven't got it yet but the reviews look good. I'll post here when I have some experience with it. Plan to strap it to my arm.

I've used the cheaper $12 dry paks or whatever they are called. It worked for a few months then started leaking. These DryCase's are supposed to be better made - and they are completely clear so you can use the camera.
Curious to know how it works out for you.
For me, my arm isn't big enough for the strap to go around - funny, in the store when I tried it, it worked. Also, by taking all the air out, the suction was so tight on the touch screen I could not get it to work. I was really fed up with it. I guess I can try again (with more sleeves) and not take all the air out.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
jorluivil

Fuji XP10 (now the xp20) takes great pics for the price. Its survived an entire lobster season so far. Never had to worry about keeping it dry, just clip it to my pfd and off I went.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

i use this one:

Click for larger image and other views

View and share related images

it in action [Flash]

Pentax Optio W90 12.1 MP

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039237GU

the picture quality is superb!!

these are my pictures

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=10124
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
Croaker Dave

Costco has the Fuji XP20 Waterproof Digital Camera going on sale for $40 off starting June 9th. There's a coupon in their flyer, or online. It looks like the regular price is $179.
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #14
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
Curious to know how it works out for you.
For me, my arm isn't big enough for the strap to go around - funny, in the store when I tried it, it worked. Also, by taking all the air out, the suction was so tight on the touch screen I could not get it to work. I was really fed up with it. I guess I can try again (with more sleeves) and not take all the air out.
Quick follow up...

I've been out with the drycase about 5 times now, and I like it lots. The touch screen works fine as long as your hands aren't ice cold and wet (then it works mostly but requires a little more effort). I suck out all the air. The speaker is a bit muffled of course (you can leave a little extra air and it works almost full volume) but still good enough in the vacuum to make calls. Pics and video (incl underwater) have worked great. I am using a neck strap and tuck it into my waders when not in use (mainly to keep those darn sabiki hooks and what not from puncturing it). The material used is better than most similar "pack" cases and I think it will last quite a while. I have no fear of leakage with this unit. Anyway, two thumbs up for the drycase - if you have a non-rolling cursor (blackberry) smartphone and want to use that for the camera its the way to go.

The coolest thing with this so far has been out there fishing and being able to pull up the LJ cam and see what is in store for landing
Old 06-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #15
reefer

i would say, that the Go Pro would be a better choice, not only does it take pic but record in HD

http://gopro.com/products/?gclid=CPi...FQImbAodZXuqug
reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #16
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer View Post
i would say, that the Go Pro would be a better choice, not only does it take pic but record in HD

http://gopro.com/products/?gclid=CPi...FQImbAodZXuqug
I've had a Go Pro HD for a couple years, its pretty good for what it does, action cam stuff. But the fisheye lense, lack of decent audio, and terrible low-light quality make it a one trick pony. Not very practical for taking normal pictures or non helmet-cam type video. On the plus side it does have the cool burst photo feature and the overall video quality is excellent. For me I gotta have both.