Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #21
StinkyMatt

I only remove my drive to clear any kelp that may have gotten stuck on it while fishing.

Many people land with the drive in which allows you to haul ass in and avoid wipeouts in the first place ( almost always)

Anyways, why not have your drive on a leash at all times?
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #22
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Wooooww!!! that seriously sucks, I hope someone finds it & returns it to you. Broken rod sucks too . One of my biggest fears about surf launches & landings.
FFY.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #23
lamb

Sorry to hear about your episode.
Thanks for that link - I could never hunt it down since they updated their web site. I updated the link on the webcam page.

You're right Gabe! It ought to be washed up on the sand, the Mirage drive is heavy.

I drove by the launch around 6:00 PM. It was laying down, looked ok. You could find lulls and easily land.

But there were also sneakers sets that seemed ugly. Relentless, short interval.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #24
yakety-yak
D-T-B

There was a small craft advisory yesterday and today. It's not worth going out in those conditions because you could lose everything. Be thankful that only the mirage drive is missing.
yakety-yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #25
Cyn

Wow that sucks...hopefully they turn up. Check craigslist (via searchtempest) and you might find some cheaper as well.
Cyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #26
Sully1

Chalk it off to a learning experience.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #27
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
But there were also sneakers sets that seemed ugly. Relentless, short interval.
Adi...I'm close to breaking the code talk. If you added in "seeing what appeared to be a large shark fin just past the breakers..." I'd be heading out for sure.
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #28
quilicaw
The Professor

WOW!

Well, at least you are OK. The last time I was at La Jolla I saw a guy get knocked out. Literally a kayak to the face--not cool.

I know it goes against the grain, but I often come in with my fins in place. I know that the extra speed has saved me more than once. If you feel that you are going to tag the bottom, push and pull the fins so that they are flat against the bottom of the kayak, it you do hit bottom it won't be so bad.

Keep trying.
quilicaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #29
Chuck D

That sucks bro I am sorry to see that happened to you. I was the guy from Chicago that met you at the launch. A couple tips when heading in that may save you in those situations. First and most important take your time. Sit outside the break for as long a it takes to see those far sets and how they are devloping. I sat for a good 10min yesterday till I make the paddle in. Second use the bungee in your Hobie to secure your fins and have them hug the hull. Third always check behind you as you come in, if you see a big swell turn your yak sideways and put your paddle into the wave and lean into the wave. Lastly if the wave is too big and you are close to shore jump out, point your yak at the beach and hold on. The yak will usually stay upright and pull you in. Sorry about the drive I hope you keep up with the sport, I look forward to seeing you out there again sometime.
Chuck
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #30
da22y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck D View Post
Lastly if the wave is too big and you are close to shore jump out, point your yak at the beach and hold on. The yak will usually stay upright and pull you in.
Chuck
Jump out, grab the kayak mid section handle, like a " T ".
Kayak parallel to the shore, wave coming behind you.
Float your feet out, let the wave push you in.
Safe and easy.

I found point the kayak at the beach will sometime flip over too.
Just my 2 cents.

Danny
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #31
kaya_one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimoney9 View Post
How would I be able to see anything?
With a low tide the water recedes and the drive might be sitting on the sand. Low tide = low or no water line on the sand where you flipped.

I think we (the BWE army) should recruit the neighboring scuba crew to seek out our lost gear - they could make a killing on lost rods/gear at the point and everywhere in between.

To all,
Is there an LJ scuba forum to post on?
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:46 AM   #32
jimoney9
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by da22y View Post
Jump out, grab the kayak mid section handle, like a " T ".
Kayak parallel to the shore, wave coming behind you.
Float your feet out, let the wave push you in.
Safe and easy.

I found point the kayak at the beach will sometime flip over too.
Just my 2 cents.

Danny

I honestly didn't think I was gonna go vertical like that. All others times I've just rode the wave in and never kick me up like that. But then again, I never went out when there were such big waves. I didn't even have time to think about that. I just trusted my experience...which wasn't that much. Thank you for the advice. I'll jump in next time. I didn't know how deep it was so that's why I was afraid to jump in.
jimoney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:47 AM   #33
jimoney9
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya_one View Post
With a low tide the water recedes and the drive might be sitting on the sand. Low tide = low or no water line on the sand where you flipped.

I think we (the BWE army) should recruit the neighboring scuba crew to seek out our lost gear - they could make a killing on lost rods/gear at the point and everywhere in between.

To all,
Is there an LJ scuba forum to post on?

What do you really think happens to all the dropped items? Do you think it gets covered by layers and layers of sand or do you think it gets swept out to deeper areas? Do you think it's possible that it would still be there all exposed?
jimoney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:19 AM   #34
Baja_Traveler

The whole drive will definitely be sticking out of the sand - probably half burried. Now the turbo fin I lost last Sunday - it is most likely burried as it was just the fin, not the drive. I'm still going to gather up the snorkeling gear and make an exploratory run tomorrow morning before it gets crazy with the rental fleet, maybe I can find both of our stuff.
I know how I would feel having to buy a whole drive - it was bad enough spending the $106 for the fin replacement!
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote