Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
jimoney9
Junior

Unhappy Fished today 3/22/13. Lost Turbo Fin

Lost a Hobie Turbo fin and a fishing pole at the La Jolla Boat Launch area while coming in around 9:30AM. Not too worried about the fishing pole but if anyone finds the fins can you please let me know. I will be very grateful and buy you lunch.

Member since Dec or Jan but haven't posted because I'm new to this ocean kayaking and I haven't caught anything big to write about.

It was a horrible morning to launch. Waves 2-4 feet. Windy and cold. But it was my day off and haven't fished in a month or so so I was eager to get out there. I saw another guy try to launch and the waves flipped him over and broke his pole in half. I waited for the right set of waves and made my way out. Another guy was launching alongside of me and both of us made it out safe. I think there was maybe 3 of us kayakers out there and a few boats. I've never seen so few fishermen out there, even on a weekday. Maybe I should have taken that as a sign. lol. Once I got out I could barely fish because the swells were so huge and so up and down that I was getting seasick. I was all wet and cold and couldn't stay out there too long. I thought I would be ok coming back in but a huge wave lifted my backside and I was almost vertical and I flipped over. I didn't think about fins cuz of all the waves that were pounding me and I was trying to get to shore asap while grabbing what I can see. I had all my bags and other things tied to the line but I didn't secure the fins. When I came back to shore I assessed all the damage. Got soaking wet, lost my sunglasses, lost a pole, broke another in half, and lost my Turbo fins. I even asked a couple of swimmers to see if they can find it. Lesson learned. Next time when the waves are that bad I'm going to leave the fins inside and beach it with the fins pushed back all the way to the side. Or don't go out when the waves are that bad.

So if anyone finds the fins please let me know. Thanks.

Does anyone know if those things ever wash up on shore or does it disappear into the abyss?
jimoney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Did you lose just the fins...or the whole drive? The whole drive right? Wow bummer....
Old 03-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Vikingj

sorry about your mishap- will happen to all of us sooner or later (unless it already has!).Glad you were not harmed. Your last couple sentences show you have learned from the experience. I always keep my fins locked in and held flat w/ bungie. My buddy doesn't like to do that so he has it leashed at all times. Both ways seem to work.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

That's a bummer. If you don't know about this site its fairly accurate and very helpful for planning trips to the shores.

Scripps Bouy
Attached Images

tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
mralbacore
Bamboo Pole Fisherman

Check this first before heading for LJ... good luck!

http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/...lifornia_4812/
mralbacore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Zfish03

Bummer! Don't let that discourage you for from future fishing trips. A few years ago I made that mistake and lost my fins too. I'm sure many other people on here have given Davy Jones a few hundred $$ too... Lesson learned
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
driftwood

The next low tide is at 2am tomorrow morning. Go back to the launch and there is 50% chance you will find them. I seriously doubt the high tide will ever wash them up.

Last edited by driftwood; 03-22-2013 at 02:25 PM.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
jimoney9
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
The next low tide is at 2am tomorrow morning, Go back to the launch
and there is 50% chance you will find them. I would!

Yeah, I was thinking about putting on a wetsuit and snorkels during low tide and looking for them. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
jimoney9
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaseeker View Post
That's a bummer. If you don't know about this site its fairly accurate and very helpful for planning trips to the shores.

Scripps Bouy

Wow. Thank you for that. This is an awesome tool. Seems like I went at the highest swell. Perfect timing.

So do you not go out there at all when the swells are high or do you risk it when you are dying to go fishing?
Old 03-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
jimoney9
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Did you lose just the fins...or the whole drive? The whole drive right? Wow bummer....
The whole drive.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
jimoney9
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
The next low tide is at 2am tomorrow morning, Go back to the launch
and there is 50% chance you will find them. I would!
How would I be able to see anything?
Old 03-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
Dane101

I you have to buy a set,go to search all junk.com....... search's all the major sites at once.
Dane101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #13
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimoney9 View Post
How would I be able to see anything?
Big ass flash light?
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #14
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Wow. Thank you for that. This is an awesome tool. Seems like I went at the highest swell. Perfect timing.

So do you not go out there at all when the swells are high or do you risk it when you are dying to go fishing?

I try to avoid anything over 3' with my outback as i am not as skilled as all of these guys on this site. But I have gone out when its bad, an just make sure all of my stuff is tied down real well. I always check my fins to make sure its all tight too, it tends to loosen up. I try to time the waves and as soon as one passes HAUL ASS! We all have been tossed, check the web and head back out!
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
ful-rac
Emperor

you could also check the LJ web cam as well before you go. Just be careful out there, if you think the surf is beyond your abilities, just stay on the beach and watch the show before you head home with all your gear and your pride intact.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/index.p...lashoreswebcam

http://sio.ucsd.edu/piercam/
Old 03-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #16
jimoney9
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfish03 View Post
Bummer! Don't let that discourage you for from future fishing trips. A few years ago I made that mistake and lost my fins too. I'm sure many other people on here have given Davy Jones a few hundred $$ too... Lesson learned
I was seriously for a moment thinking of getting a boat with a motor!!! Sorry. I know that word is forbidden here. hahahahaha. But then I wouldn't have the pleasure of reading all of your stories and being able to relate to them. lol.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
janines.fishtales@cox.net

lessons learned

If your gut is nervous or the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, pack up your stuff and head to the bay. It is the perfect training ground. I also have had a couple of "interesting" first launches. I tumbled in the surf and capsized all on the same day. I think I am ready to try again though. The only good thing for me was it seemed like I had all my stuff secured well. The only thing I lost was a tackle pack that was not secured. Full of good irons! Just take your time. The fish will be there.

Janine
Old 03-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #18
Dannowar

Barged through some gnarly surf before. It's always possible but if there's swell in the water it's not always fun going up and down for hours on end. I usually take the weeks forecast into account before I decide when I'm gonna fish. <3 ft And <10knots wind mean I'm on the water.

And keep that mirage drive locked in!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #19
salty pirate

yard sale

mezaline motion sickness every time I go. sea sick and 1.5-2 hours of work is no fun.

I almost never not go if i already drove an hour to get there. of course i always check the swell and cam before I go.
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #20
TCS

High Tide

If it were my drive down there I'd snorkel it at high tide. It's hard to see things in the whitewater, at high tide your drive might the in blue water and easier to find.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote